Elbow Injury Question

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
GH
Embryo

Elbow Injury Question

Post by GH »

I've been looking at the Army since i've been really young, Of course will different reasons when i started than I have now. About two years ago I had a really nasty elbow injury. I compounded it and broke it in 3 places right in the joint. They debated amputation it was so messed up. But through luck, a kick ass ortho, and tons of hard work and pain- Its almost good as new... How do I make sure this doens't bite me in the ass in the next year as I start heading down the path into the Army? I know Airborne, Ranger School, and any form of higher training in the Army requires higher and higher medical standards. And I'll make it through and do it either way- I Just want to know anything that might be to my advantage sooner- than later.

The biggest worry I have is i have still some limit in the range of my motion. Speaking in terms of range of motion- On the upward pull (I forget the technical term for it) I can almost touch my shoulder with my thumb extended. Its about an Inch and a half away from reaching. If I really pull and give myself hell, I can barely touch it.

I have a lack of nerve feeling in the elbow, There was alot of nerve damage, and I had the nerve surgically moved so it won't jump around at all anymore. But I do have some lack of sensation in the elbow area. Speaking in terms of a circle radius from the tip of my elbow- I have less sensation in a two inch radius of the tip of my elbow.

I had metal plates and screws, quite a few, I had a plate and some screws removed, However there is still a remaining plate and a few screws left. They do not protrude nor serve any purpose or cause any discomfort or limit the range of motion or the ability of my arm to preform.

I do pushups, Pullups, and free-weights just fine. I also do both my Martial arts just fine- Just need to warm it up.

I've talked to recruiters, Marine, National Guard, Army- They Say they don't think it will be an issue, but I'm affraid they say more than they actually know.(They may know, But I worry that they might just be saying these things) They tell me about their own injuries, I've gotten an entire collection of my medical records- I've even got a thing from my ortho saying i'm fit for military duty. Is there anything else I'll need to do or look out for?

Another question- its not entirely medical, Are elbow pads allowed during training. The only time I ever encounter any horrible issue with my elbow is if i whack it real hard on the part of my elbow that has less sensation, You'd think it would hurt less since the nerve feeling is messed up- But if you get it real good it tends to have its own specific pain. Its liveable through, I was just wondering if elbow pads or something of a semi-protective nature were allowed in training.

I searched through the medical forums and didn't see anything that was exactly like my issue, So sorry if this is soemthing that has already been asked and adressed before. And I thank everyone in advance for everything.

-George
Bell

Post by Bell »

You post an intro like yer supposed to do first.

I don't wanna see any responses to this until you post an intro.

RLTW
Bell
GH
Embryo

Post by GH »

Bell wrote:You post an intro like yer supposed to do first.

RLTW
Bell
My fault, I should have read more into the newbie members and what I'm supposed to do before running in here. I put up my intro, I read the sticky, I hope it will suffice. There seems to be nothing else I am forgetting to do- But if there is please let me know.

-George
mikelogics
Tadpole

Post by mikelogics »

GH wrote:
Bell wrote:You post an intro like yer supposed to do first.

RLTW
Bell
Ranger Bell,

My fault, I should have read more into the newbie members and what I'm supposed to do before running in here. I put up my intro, I read the sticky, I hope it will suffice. There seems to be nothing else I am forgetting to do- But if there is please let me know.

-George
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

SFOC Class 77-94
Tm Ldr, SF Tm 1302 95-96
CO, 12th SF Co. SFR(A) SOCOM PA 97-99
CO, 66th Infantry Battalion 10th Infantry Divison, Philippine Army (current)
GH
Embryo

Post by GH »

Ranger Bell,
Thank you for setting me straight and getting me up and running with the site FAQ and rules. Is this thread now open for replies?
GH
Embryo

Post by GH »

Rangers, Doctors, Medics, Soldiers, anyone with insight or experience,

I'm not sure how often members look at the 'Medical Issues' Thread or how many people could help me with this question. Either way if you read this I thank the reader for taking the time. Any help, insight, or sugguestions would be greatly appriciated.
I will persist until I succeed.
The prizes of life are at the end of each journey, not near the beginning; and it is not given to me to know how many steps are necessary in order to reach my goal. Failure I may still encounter at the thousandth step, yet success hides behind the next bend in the road. Never will I know how close it lies unless I turn the corner.
Always will I take another step. If that is of no avail I will take another, and yet another. In truth, one step at a time is not too difficult.
I will persist until I succeed.
So long as there is breath in me, that long will I persist. For now I know one of the greatest principles of success; if I persist long enough I will win.
I will persist.
I will win.

Return to “Medical Issues”