Task Force Napalm Assignment

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

MPC
Tadpole

Task Force Napalm Assignment

Post by MPC »

Here is the final draft of Task Force Napalm's assigment on Napalm and White Phosphorus:

Napalm Assignment (MPC):

Origins:

Napalm began as a substitute to jelled gasoline. Originally gasoline had been used in flamethrowers during World War I, it was soon discovered however that gasoline burned itself too quickly to be effective. US Army chemists developed a jelled gasoline to be used in place of gasoline. Napalm, through its unique properties, extended the effective range of flamethrowers to 150 yards, previously it had been 30 yards. Jelled gasoline was made using latex from rubber trees, and was found to be more effective than regular gasoline. When World War II began however the supply of rubber decreased dramatically as many of the sources of rubber were under Japanese occupation, rubber was also a vital component for other wartime products. The shortage of rubber led to a creation of a team of chemists to create a substitute for latex to gel gasoline. Dr. Louis Fieser led this team of chemists; it consisted of Harvard University and US Army Chemical Warfare scientists. The requirements were that the synthetic jelly be able to be prepared at low temperatures, easily handled, stable, made from readily available materials, and have a low cost.

Composition:

Dr. Fieser and his team experimented with many different substitutes for latex during 1942-194. The most successful was a combination of metal soaps, aluminum salts combined with fatty acids. Aluminum palmitate and aluminum naphthenate were mixed with gasoline to for Napalm. The name Napalm is derived from NAphthenate and PALMitate. During World War II there were several varieties of Napalm, the first consisted of gasoline mixed with 5% Aluminum palmitate, 5% Aluminum naphthenate, and 1% wood flour. Another variety consisted of 5% Aluminum palmitate, 3% Aluminum napthenate, and 0.5% lampblack. Napalm itself is a grey-white powder until mixed with gasoline.

A new formula for Napalm existed by the time American forces began fighting in Vietnam This effort resulted in the development of napalm B, which substituted polystyrene and benzene for naphthenate and palmitate. The resulting substance continued to bear the name "napalm" although it lacked the 2 components of its namesake. Napalm B provided the US with an incendiary substance with enhanced stability and controllability and as such, became the weapon of choice during the Vietnam War. White phosphorus, as the igniting agent, was replaced by thermite, which burns at a higher temperature of 4532°F. The new formula was more resistant to temperature extremes; it could tolerate temperatures above 150 degrees Fahrenheit and below –40 degrees. Dow Chemical produced this and other formulas between 1965 and 1969. The temperature generated by napalm is between 1800 and 4000 degrees F.

Today napalm is often a generic term given to incendiary weapons and dozens of different formulas exist. Originally developed to be used in flamethrowers it was most commonly used in incendiary bombs.

When and where it was used:

WWII:

The first use of napalm occurred on July 23, 1944, during pre-invasion air strikes on the island of Tinian, part of the Marianas island chain in the Pacific. The Allied Forces in World War II used it against cities in Japan. The primary method of using napalm was through the usage of 165-gallon containers. A single firebomb dropped from an airplane at low-altitude was capable of producing damage to a 2500-yd2 area. In targeted Japanese cities, napalm bombs burned out 40% of the land area. Napalm was also used as a component in incendiary bombs during World War II, including the M-69, the first incendiary bomb developed by the US Army. Around 161,425 tons of napalm or other firebombs were dropped over Japan during the Pacific War.

Korea:

Napalm was used more extensively in Korea, Napalm and other bombs dropped by United States warplanes totaled more than 600,000 tons. During the Korean War, the US dropped approximately 250,000 pounds of napalm per day. The first bombs used held 100 gallons, by 1951, new ones were being made which held 90 gallons. The Navy used Corsairs and dive-bombers to carry their bombs; the Air Force used F-Sls, F-80s, F-86s and B-26s. The normal load was two tanks of gasoline and two tanks of napalm. On an average good day napalm use was: Air Force, 45,000 gallons; Navy, 10,000 to 12,000 gallons; Marines, 4,000 to 5,000 gallons.

The tactics in Korea were similar to those used during World War II. Napalm firebombs had been dropped from high-altitude bombers, but with little success. As such napalm was usually released at low altitudes. Napalm was very effective against enemy personnel and as an antitank weapon. A hit anywhere within fifty feet of a tank was effective. It was used widely and successfully against dug-in enemy personnel. When the bomb landed, the burning napalm spread out and dropped down into foxholes. It was especially effective against trenches where enemy soldiers were spread out along a wide front.

Vietnam:

Nearly 400,000 tons of napalm were dropped on targets in Vietnam. Napalm was used as a defoliant, antipersonnel weapon, and as a way of destroying Vietnamese air defenses. Since the US would not attack irrigation dikes in North Vietnam, the North Vietnamese exploited the situation by placing anti-aircraft sites atop or adjacent to dikes. The air defenses threatened US forces, and by degrading bombing accuracy against lawful targets led to greater incidental civilian casualties. The Johnson administration denied repeated requests for authorization to attack these air defense sites. When they were finally authorized for attack during Linebacker I, the targets were attacked with weapons that would minimize the risk of structural damage to the dikes. This was accomplished through the use of napalm and other antipersonnel weapons.

Desert Storm:

Napalm was used during the Persian Gulf War. The Marine Corps dropped all of the approximately 500 MK-77s used in the Gulf War. They were delivered primarily by the AV-8 Harriers from relatively low altitudes. During Operation Desert Storm MK-77s were used to ignite the Iraqis oil-filled fire trenches, which were part of barriers constructed in southern Kuwait.

Today:

The last of America’s MK 77 Mod 4 napalm stockpile were stored at Fallbrook, Naval Base and a state-of-the-art facility was built on base to help eliminate these weapons. The last filled napalm canister was destroyed in March 2001. Beginning in 1973 the Department of the Navy began placing Vietnam era napalm canisters in storage at the Weapons Support Facility, Fallbrook Detachment. The Detachment is located approximately 60 miles north of San Diego, CA. By 1978 all canisters had been placed at the Detachment for storage and maintenance. The stockpile consists of approximately 34,123 individually crated napalm canisters.

An article by the San Diego Union Tribune reported on August 5, 2003, that the US Marine Corps used incendiary weapons against Iraqi troops during Operation Iraqi Freedom. The denial by the US DOD was issued on the basis that the incendiaries used consisted of kerosene-based jet fuel rather than the traditional mixture of gasoline and benzene used for napalm, and that these did not qualify as napalm.

Effects of Napalm:

People:

Napalm affects the human person in two ways, asphyxiation and burns (immolation). Burn victims of napalm do not experience first-degree burns because of the adhesiveness of napalm that result in it sticking to the skin.

Immolation produces very rapid loss of blood pressure, unconsciousness, and death in a short time. Third degree burns are typically not painful at the time, since only the cutaneous (skin) nerves respond to heat and full-thickness (third-degree) burns kill the nerves. Severe second-degree burns such as likely to be suffered by someone hit with a small splash of napalm are the severely painful ones, the ones likely to be survived, and likely to produce hideous scars called keloids.

Asphyxiation is the result of Napalm igniting. When it ignites it rapidly deoxygenates the available air. Oxygen is replaced with carbon monoxide as a result of incomplete combustion of the napalm. As little as 0.4 percent carbon monoxide is fatal in one hour because of the high affinity between carbon monoxide and hemoglobin in the blood. Napalm creates an area of at least 20 percent carbon monoxide.

In addition to being an antipersonnel weapon, napalm is extremely effective against vehicles.

Vegetation:

An estimated 72.4 million liters or 100,000 tons of herbicides were sprayed on South Vietnam, affecting 43% of the cultivated area and 44% of the total area. Seventy per cent of the south's coconut groves and 60% of its rubber plantations were destroyed, together with 110,00 hectares of forest and 150,000 hectares of mangroves, along with enough crops to feed 2 million people. It has also been claimed that 43% of the south's plantations and orchards were destroyed, and 44% of the forest wealth.

In addition to high explosives and spraying, this destruction was achieved by the use of napalm and “Rome ploughsâ€
"And then I heard the Lord say, 'Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?' And then said I, here am I, send me." Isaiah 6:8
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

Ok
First let me thank my fellow DEP'ers, because if anyone was allowed to the Minor Mayhem section they would notice that I did next to nothing. I will not get into why or make excuses the point is that when I needed help my boys where there, when they needed help I wasnt there. I buddy fucked my boys in the most severe fashion. So let it be known that I was the one that feel through on the assigment and didnt put out. So keep that in mind when reading that and I am willing to accept consequences for my fuck up.

out...
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Good reports; although I'm not your grader.

Blcksrt4- you're fucking weird.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Blackskirt-

You little fucking asshole!

You fucked up, and I went out on a limb for you.

You don't get many second chances.

You better make this right with your fellow Deppers......ASAP

If the admins decide to shitcan you now, I wouldn't say a word. If you are lucky they will allow you to stay and make this right with your fellow deppers ASAP.

You Blue Falcon a fellow DEPPER again and I'll be the first to make sure you are GONE.

In the next week I want to get some PM's from your team mates about how you made it right with them-sent them a gift certificate, nude pics of your sister, ya did their homework, I don't care.

I'm getting more and more pissed at you by the FUCKING second.......
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Doesn't matter a hoot on this site - if you REALLY screwed your fellow DEPpers, they'll remember it later on, say perhaps in Ranger School when you are in a graded position and need their help. Life does have it's consequences and if you don't make it up to them, or at least go out on a limb for someone else later, it will probably be remembered when you least expect it.

Also, if you're the WEAK LINK now, you'd best realize it and focus on a set of corrective actions to get stronger.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Maybe he should get a 'new' assignment. If he 'chooses' to fail this one, perhaps ALL the DEPshits should be banned instead of him? Sort of to 'simulate' him getting his whole squad 'killed'.
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

I understand why everyone is pissed at me. I dont know if you Rangers/Dep's know though that I am just as pissed because when I was first assigned the report I did not even ask for help. Someone eles stepped in to help me out. So when I found out that I was the one who was dragin ass I felt like shit. You guys may think I am just blowing smoke up everyones ass but I am seriouse when I say I know I fucked up and I feel like shit as it is. I am awating a new report or anything that might come my way.

out

Return to “The Mosh Pit”