DD Form 149 : Opinions Requested

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

DD Form 149 : Opinions Requested

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I just downloaded the forms to correct my DD 214.

Opions please? My DD 214 has Member Unavaiable to Sign in my signature block and is missing my SQI "P", Good Conduct Medal, and I think some other medal that I can not recall. Since I never signed my DD 214 will this work in my favor since you have to justify why "it is in the interest of justice to consider this application" after three years of discovering the mistake ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

If you have a copy of the orders awarding either the Novice Parachute Badge, or the orders doing the MOS action of adding the "P", then you don't need to do the update. Same thing with the GCTM and the other medal. If you're able to demonstrate favorably that you have the stuff you say you have, then the DD214 doesn't need to reflect them all.

My 214 from OIF doesn't mention the BSM, but as I've got the orders, no biggie.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

or the orders doing the MOS action of adding the "P",
As in orders for Hazardus Duty Pay: Parachute showing my duty MOS with "P" ?
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

Well, those hazardous duty orders came from BN, what I was talking about were issued by the Abn school, awarding the ASI of "P"aratrooper to your MOS. BUT... failing all others, the BN's hazardous duty orders should suffice.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

what I was talking about were issued by the Abn school, awarding the ASI of "P"aratrooper to your MOS.
Hmmmmmm.......I have hazardous duty orders from Airborne School showing a SQI of P, but I don't think I have orders just for awarding the SQI P. I'll submit what I have and see what happens.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
or the orders doing the MOS action of adding the "P",
As in orders for Hazardus Duty Pay: Parachute showing my duty MOS with "P" ?
The Orders should look something like this:
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I do not have and never saw orders like the above . The only ones I have are for jump pay showing my MOS with the P added and orders assigning me to airborne school, RIP, and 3rd Bn. I assume my jump wing orders are in my 201 File at St. Louis, MO ?

I just requested copies of orders for jump wings and other awards that I never got. When I get these I will attempt to have my DD 214 corrected
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Bell

Post by Bell »

And then you'll get a piece of paper called a DD215 that ya have to staple to the damn 214. Looks like shit. It's a "Correction to DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty".

I did one in '85 and received it 17 Apr 85. It says:

Item No. 11 Delete: 11B1P
Add: 11B1V Nothing Follows.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

There's still some stuff not right on it but it takes forever.

RLTW
Bell
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I noticed on my 214 that I had an Overseas Service Ribbon, and no GCM. I submitted the form and eventually received the 215 and the GCM, but no orders or certificate for the OSR. The letter that came with everything said that no orders or certificate were found, but they didn't delete the OSR. :roll:

So, I guess my stay in SWA was good for an AEM and an OSR??? Are the guys over there now gitting OSRs for their year rotations?
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Crash
US Army Veteran

Post by Crash »

Ranger Flesh Thorne and others.

Why is it necessary to have the medals (good conduct, bronze star for meritorius service, etc) shown on your DD214? Just ask for a copy of your personnel file from the National Personnel Records Center. If the medals aren't pertinent to receiving a benefits; why waste your time getting your DD214 changed?

Send an SF 180 to NPRC for a copy of your personnel records. You need to be specific about what you want. Army usually gets four pages showing stuff like test scores, mos, medals awarded, and overseas duty sites and times. Although, more data is available.
Crash, 497th Trans CO, FT Lewis, WA 76-78
Cat
Tadpole

Post by Cat »

Crash wrote:Ranger Flesh Thorne and others.

Why is it necessary to have the medals (good conduct, bronze star for meritorius service, etc) shown on your DD214? Just ask for a copy of your personnel file from the National Personnel Records Center. If the medals aren't pertinent to receiving a benefits; why waste your time getting your DD214 changed?

Send an SF 180 to NPRC for a copy of your personnel records. You need to be specific about what you want. Army usually gets four pages showing stuff like test scores, mos, medals awarded, and overseas duty sites and times. Although, more data is available.
Necessary? I guess it may not matter to some veterans..but others want their DD 214 to be accurate and list all of their medals. You've earned them..why not get the form right? Someone's 214 is oftentimes past on through the generations and is easier to look at than a stack of personnel records..
Last edited by Cat on March 5th, 2006, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
U.S. Army Signal Corps, 31M7A/31S
385th SigCo (FWD) Kuwait Jan 94- Dec 94
235th(67th) TACSAT Ft Gordon, GA. 95-97
--
Mainz-Kastel, Germany 98-00, AD Dept
Ft Bragg 00-02, AD Dept
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Necessary? I guess it may not matter to some veterans..but others what their DD 214 to be accurate and list all of their medals. You've earned them..why not get the form right? Someone's 214 is oftentimes past on through the generations and is easier to look at than a stack of personnel records..
That about sums up my feelings. If the DD 214 isn't going to accurately reflect your service then why even bother printing them ? I got a reply from the National Archives or wherever the fuck and there ain't shit in my records. I have a few copies of orders from my finance record that I got when they done away with the folder style record keeping back in 86 or 87. I was always told to retain a copy of orders for everything, but I don't recall getting to see very many copies of my orders. Maybe the lint in the bottom of my duffle bag holds the answers. :wink:
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Crash wrote:Ranger Flesh Thorne and others.

DO NOT POST IN HERE AGAIN UNTIL YOU ARE VETTED. PERIOD.

As for getting your DD214 straight, I have and will continue to encourage each and every veteran to do so. You do not know what the law will reflect in the future and what entitlements one will be awarded based on awards and medals. For example, we have only recently began an increased claim amount for combat veteran's as opposed to non-combatants, further in many states, there are many services you could be entitled to by the award or decoration. Finally, having you DD214 show the correct information also enables the veteran at their choosing to receive the replacement set of their medals.

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/milita ... index.html

Now, I will say this again Crash as I am not sure what your position is within the VA, we are always eager to have any assistance, but you will provide some vetting of who and what you are before you go fucking spouting off shit in here. I am going to ask again, please contact me via PM and let me know who you are and exactly what it is that you do within the VA system before you post again in this area.

Thank you.
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

It is in your best interest to ensure that your DD-214 is accurate. You can correct errors or omissions be applying to the Records Center in St. Louis. My experience was that they have a big work load back up, so it may consume a lot of time -- think it took more than a year to correct mine and receive my DD-215.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangermatt

Post by rangermatt »

The value of updating your records on your DD214 is that then Uncle Sam is maintaining them. Peoples' houses have been known to do annoying things like burn down. If your orders went with it, now you have to find someone else who was on the orders, too, so they can send you a copy.
Aco 1/75 85-89
Ranger class 8(&9!)-87
Scout Platoon Leader, etc. 1-12 Cav 1CD 94-99

Yes I know my name says "member"

Return to “Post Service Issues”