Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Longhorn98
Egg

Introduction

Post by Longhorn98 »

Rangers, ladies and gentlemen: My name's Robert, and I'm a 29 year-old DEP'er awaiting my ship date of 21 July 2005. I've lurked on this site for a few weeks and already I've found a wealth of helpful information. I've signed an 11x contract but was unable to secure an Airborne/Opt. 40 as a result of LASIK surgery I had in 2003 (according to MEPS I can't have Airborne guaranteed with a medical waiver). I intend to volunteer for Airborne/RIP/SF if I'm given the chance at BCT-Ft. Benning.

I'm a graduate of the University of Texas with 7 years experience sitting behind desks staring at computer screens. It would take far too much of your time to explain why I'm compelled to enlist at my age other than to say that, for once in my life, I want to accomplish something truly extraordinary and I think the Army can provide me that opportunity. I look forward to proving myself and serving alongside our country's best and brightest.

I have dedicated myself to becoming a Ranger since I learned the story of the late Ranger Pat Tillman. Ranger Tillman exemplified the noble traits of all Rangers, all soldiers and hopefully all Americans, and I can only hope that one day I can be considered an equal among such honorable men.

Thank you for the opportunity to introduce myself.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Welcome Robert. Thank you for signing up. I hope your dream of becoming a Ranger comes true some day. If it helps, I also went thruough RIP at 29. It can be done. Good luck to you.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Tell them to kiss your ass.
You can get Airborne with a med waiver, your recruiter just doesn't want to work for you.
We have a couple of SMEs here on recruiting that will be able to give you better guidance.
Unless the the lasik left you fucking color-blind you should still be able to get an Airborne contract.
Without at least Airborne you won't be "volunteering" for shit.
Is there something else you're not telling us?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Longhorn98
Egg

Post by Longhorn98 »

Rangers RTO and Kilted Heathen, thank you for your prompt replies.

Ranger RTO, your words are encouraging and I hope to make you proud someday!

Ranger Kilted Heathen, I was of the same opinion from my reading of AR 40-501. And, honestly, I did tell the SGT-in-charge at MEPS that disagreed with his opinion. Apparently that wasn't a good move on my part, as my recruiter and his 1SG were taken to task by Battalion as MEPS thought I had obtained the "secret recruiter's manual."

My eyesight is currently 20/20 in both eyes (uncorrected); however, I did fail the two color-vision tests administered at MEPS. I visited a civilian optometrist who, after giving me a randomly-generated color test, provided me a letter addressed to MEPS (Houston) saying my R(ed)G(reen)B(lue) vision was normal (which in my honest assessment is completely accurate). MEPS accepted this and provided me an 11x contract but not Airborne. My reading of AR 40-501 proves to me there's no certain disqualification for Airborne/Ranger/SF but that's not what MEPS is telling me.

Long story short, my desire to serve my country, in whatever capacity I may best be used, exceeded my desire to have my dream shot guaranteed in writing. But if Houston MEPS is screwing me, I'd sure like to know before I report!

Thank you Rangers!
RgrHunter
Ranger

You'll get your chance

Post by RgrHunter »

Hey bud,
You'll get your chance to volunteer. What you do with it will be up to you. Yes there are successful 'older' intial entry Rangers out there but be for-warned, you are going to be told what to do by a bunch of guys a lot younger than you. Remeber that the guy that has been in BN for 5 minutes longer than you, knows more shit than you do so do what anyone says. Leave your ego at the door and pay attention.

Good luck in your upcoming enlistment. Cover down on your sector and the rest will fal into place. Before you ask a question here, run it through the search button first.

Alls well that ends well....
Rgr Hunter
Bco/HHC 1/75-'97-'03
Random Intensity
RLTW
Longhorn98
Egg

Post by Longhorn98 »

Thanks Ranger RgrHunter. I can assure you age has little relevance to me (in my last two jobs my age hindered my work). I am well aware I'm joining a "young man's Army" and that some of my superiors will be younger than me. I will respect the rank as well as the man or woman who holds it.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

There's no women in the Infantry.
This brave men and women shit can get annoying.
You've come to the right place.

Soneone will be along to square you away on this.

In the mean time shut the fuck up and do some push ups.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

Welcome and good luck
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
Bell

Post by Bell »

Welcome to the site. Yer late. Damn...there is always a way. Now that yer here you'll be squared away shortly...

RLTW
Bell
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome and thanks for enlisting, Longhorn. If you're squared away, your age can be an asset to you. Be sure you're a PT stud, because you will be singled out a lot as the "old man." There will be NCOs who will try to prove that you're too old by smoking your bag. If you can continually take it and perform to standard (or better) that will all play in your favor, as you will be regarded with respect. Don't get cocky, just 'shine.' I was nearly 31 when I went in. Good luck to you!

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

Welcome and good luck.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

Welcome to the site Longhorn, and good luck!
CAL
Paratrooper

Post by CAL »

UT, eh? Well.....SAW 'EM OFF and GIG 'EM AGGIES, fucker!
ArmyParatrooper.org

514th Sig Co. (LRE) '97-'02
AATW!

Return to “Introduction Archive”