Sitrep: standard not met

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Ray80
Infantryman

Sitrep: standard not met

Post by Ray80 »

Rangers,

Ray here. I am not sure if any remember me, but I joined your site as a DEP sometime last year.

I did not make it through RIP.

I came in less than 100% healed from my broken foot during OSUT and BAC.

I ended up re-aggrivating my injury while working out on my own during RIP pending.
I tried to be a hardass and ship with my class.

That's on me.

I was unable to make it through week 2 of RIP
and was unable to get off profile fast enough to be a recycle and was given orders to Alaska.

I volunteered to go out on a detail while trying to heal up and saw Rangers Gravity Man and El Diablo training on the range I had helped build. It's a kick in the nuts to see guys you wanted to serve with working without you because I was not good enough.

I did not wish to write this kind of sitrep, but I did not wish to disappear as a failure and would rather man up to my mistakes.

I am not sure when my chance to be one of the best will come. I have work to do now as an American Infantryman. Driving on.

Ray
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Sitrep: standard not met

Post by Silverback »

Ray80 wrote:Rangers,

Ray here. I am not sure if any remember me, but I joined your site as a DEP sometime last year.

I did not make it through RIP.

I came in less than 100% healed from my broken foot during OSUT and BAC.

I ended up re-aggrivating my injury while working out on my own during RIP pending.
I tried to be a hardass and ship with my class.

That's on me.

I was unable to make it through week 2 of RIP
and was unable to get off profile fast enough to be a recycle and was given orders to Alaska.

I volunteered to go out on a detail while trying to heal up and saw Rangers Gravity Man and El Diablo training on the range I had helped build. It's a kick in the nuts to see guys you wanted to serve with working without you because I was not good enough.

I did not wish to write this kind of sitrep, but I did not wish to disappear as a failure and would rather man up to my mistakes.

I am not sure when my chance to be one of the best will come. I have work to do now as an American Infantryman. Driving on.

Ray
At least you didn't quit...Course if you did and your lying I'll find out next week!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Broken and trying is better then quitting.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Well if its the Truth, all I can say is unfortunately shit happens, let that be a lesson to all the other DEPs out there.
Stay Healthy, injuries can and DO HAPPEN!

Do a year up north, and then volunteer with a little bit more experience and come on back down to THE BIG RIPPER.

Good luck in Alaska soldier. NEXT!!!! :twisted:

Last edited by Bugsy on June 1st, 2005, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

I spent a total of 9mo on profile for a simple broken arm.

Why you ask, because I started pushing it to soon. I wanted to get myself back on track "ASAP". I ended up screwing myself in the long run!

Sounds like you learned the same lesson I did.

If that is the case, dont smack yourself for it. Stay motivated the oppertunity may rise again.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

A fella can try and try and sometimes it just works out that way....I too watched my first RIP class graduate with out me and I know just how frustrating that feels....terrible, sick feeling....sorry to hear you had to experience that.....at the end of the day it's a bit of a crap shoot....you might go back someday?
I want to wish you the best of luck in all your future endevours...
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Post by blueskiesalways »

Thanks for the update Ray, I'm truly sorry things didn't work out for you. Let's just hope you get healthy, and get another shot at your goal....Good luck to you.
Thanks for your service.
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

Good luck kid.

Keep it in your mind that you will succeed, and you will succeed. It is all up to you.

At least your going to a unit that will keep you thinking of it.

Airborne!
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

First of all Ray, thanks for serving our country. I think that your positive attitude and your determination will get you another shot at your goal.

Do not be dicouraged because you have elected to at least try what alot of others wished they could have(present company included).

Thanks for having the fortitude to come back and report so that other future DEPs may benefit from your experience.

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Ray's story is true. I was his mentor and we have had commo since he left MEPS. Ray will be a Ranger....it's just not going to happen the way he planned. Trust me, this dude has what it takes.

Ray, you can't fault yourself for a broken foot. Get that thing healed up, enjoy Alaska, and put in for a transfer down the road. By then, you'll have a reputation as a kick-ass Alaskan Squad Leader. Chin up, Bro. :wink: It ain't over yet.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Shit happens Ray. Drive on. I'm sure you'll do it someday.

RLTW
Bell
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

eh bro keep yourself motivated in alaska. I have been at the 82nd now for a little over two months and I have got my EIB and am doing my Ranger packet for school right now and am going to be in the next Pre Ranger class. Just stay motivated and make the most of it, learn all you can learn that way when its time to come back NOTHING will stop you at all.

Return to “Letters from School”