Para-Ordnance?

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
RangerX
Ranger

Para-Ordnance?

Post by RangerX »

Does anyone have anything negative to say about Para-Ordnance? Specifically the 14-45 double stack 1911? I'm thinking of picking one up, but wanted some extra opinions.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

I have several and had the P-12s also, in 96 or so when they were selling alot I had one that was a little goofed up, it had a bad sear in it. All the others have been tip top. I can say I dont like the stainless. I would look for a 04 model P-14 limited.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

I have a P13 and it has been a good, solid pistol. I have had no problems with it. I bought the aluminum frame model - I wish I would have went all steel. I am getting ready to sell it for the $ towards a custome full size. Want to buy it? :lol:
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
lawdog
Tadpole

Post by lawdog »

I've put a lot of rounds through a P-14 Limited and was thoroughly impressed. Fed remarkable, accurate as hell, but I didn't care much for the trigger. Too much creep in the one I fired. I think if one had a trigger job done it would be incredible. Have you looked at the LDA's that Para makes? I wasn't sure what to think until I played with one last summer. Probably the sweetest "double action" trigger I've ever felt. I wouldn't count one of those out.
“You got the right to remain silent, so shut the fuck up, ok? You got the right to an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney, we will provide you with the dumbest fucking lawyer on earth. If you get Johnny Cochrane, I'll kill ya!â€
1st Ranger

Post by 1st Ranger »

I have a 14.45 LDA and it is awesome! Firing the "Goose" gave me a great appreciaion for two stage triggers, and I love the soft two stage trigger on the LDAs. I also have large hands, and the wide grip fits my hand perfectly. I've always liked 1911s, but never bought one because I've always felt that the grip was too small to fit comfortably in my hands. The first time I held my Para, I fell in love. I wholeheartedly endorse the Para models, especially the LDA. You also can't go wrong with 14 rounds of .45.

Did I mention I like the P14.45 LDA?

1st
lawdog
Tadpole

Post by lawdog »

1st Ranger wrote:I have a 14.45 LDA and it is awesome! Firing the "Goose" gave me a great appreciaion for two stage triggers, and I love the soft two stage trigger on the LDAs. I also have large hands, and the wide grip fits my hand perfectly. I've always liked 1911s, but never bought one because I've always felt that the grip was too small to fit comfortably in my hands. The first time I held my Para, I fell in love. I wholeheartedly endorse the Para models, especially the LDA. You also can't go wrong with 14 rounds of .45.

Did I mention I like the P14.45 LDA?

1st
I was wondering how you really felt about them.
“You got the right to remain silent, so shut the fuck up, ok? You got the right to an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney, we will provide you with the dumbest fucking lawyer on earth. If you get Johnny Cochrane, I'll kill ya!â€
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

So I bought one of these in the Fall of last year. As far as the pistol goes, I have zero complaints, and it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

That said.....

The factory mags blow chunks. Aside from the need for gorilla-like thumb strength to get the last 3 -4 rounds in the mag, it also is a real bitch to seat the mag with the slide forward. When it does seat, it gives the impression that it's only just holding the mag in, and looking for any excuse to dump it. By backing down to 13 rounds in the mag, it seats easily and firmly. Does anyone have any experience with 3rd party mags for this thing? I wouldn't pay a nickel for a fatory mag at this point.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

RangerX, you can get STI tubes for Paras, and if you feel like parting with more of your $$$$, you can send them to Beven Grams for tuning, basepad, springs, and followers.

A buddy of mine shoots USPSA Limited class with a P16/40, and his tuned mags from Beven hold 20 (140mm USPSA Limited length).

Beven isn't cheap (or fast, he's got to be one of the busiest guys in the business). But he built all my mags for both of my STIs, and they run 100% all the time. If this is a defensive gun, I wouldn't hesitate to have him build/tweak your existing mags (but I don't know that he does .45 mags).
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
archangel
Tadpole

Post by archangel »

I love my Tac-Four, but its mags arent the greatest. I was rotating 2 carried and one rested. Well, one of the mags developed reliability issues, which I determind was because of a weak spring. Bought another mag, replaced that spring and found that rotating the mags once a week, 2 on 2 off, does the trick.

Furthermore, If memory serves me Ranger X, Brownell has replacement springs which are suppose to be better than the Para springs. Havent tried them myself, though I intend to.

Edited to say: Brownell instend of Bushnell. Pushing.
Last edited by archangel on September 23rd, 2006, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
4/1 ID Enbrace the suck.

"When in doubt ATTACK! Cause chaos, panic and confusion. Above all else SHOOT SOMETHING!"
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

Wolff makes the best mag springs IMO - all of my mags get Wolff after the factory ones wear out.

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/ParaOrdnanceNF.html
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
m-14.762
US Army Veteran

Post by m-14.762 »

archangel wrote:I love my Tac-Four, but its mags arent the greatest. I was rotating 2 carried and one rested. Well, one of the mags developed reliability issues, which I determind was because of a weak spring
you realize that by unloading and reloading mags to allow them to "rest" you are really just weaking the springs.

springs do not wear out from being compressed, they wear out from being compressed and decompressed.
m-14.762
US Army Veteran

Post by m-14.762 »

I have a love hate relationship with para when the run they run shit hot, when they dont people beg me to do all I can to try to get them up and running sometimes I can sometimes I cannot.

Although I have seen 3 cracked alloy frames so I would steer clear from the lightweight frame if I were u.
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

Re: Para-Ordnance?

Post by Grumble and Grunt »

I have the Para-Ord SF-45A which is basically a PX1445E with a couple of gee-whiz additions: Tritium night sights, a surefire tac-lite, all match grade components, coyote finish, and my BN Crest, DIV Patch, TF name, and OIF dates. We got it as a package deal. Great price and a great piece of memorabilia that is functional. The thing groups well and is very reliable. I only have two problems with it:

1. The factory MAGs suck dick. They don't seat well and they seem to encourage an occasional malfunction in the 14th and 13th round if I use it in a 14+1 load. I could go down to 12+1 and be fine but fuck that, I want my other two rounds. Rather than sending away and having my mags retooled has anyone found any aftermarket ones that I can just buy?

2. Since the bastard is so fat and I don't have SB's gorilla hands, it is a little big for me in a weaver or modified weaver grip. I think this is giving me a tendency to group a little low and left. Has anyone installed or used any slimmer aftermarket grips? It doesn't look like the pistol has alot of room to play with but any bit might help.
RS Class 06-06

Return to “Weapons of War”