Disabled vets

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

D2meD
Ranger

whats up happy

Post by D2meD »

Whats up happy!

I used to be in the same platoon as this clown.
Just to let you know I ended up getting out on 30% as well. Ranger Batt really knows how to tear you down.

Let me know what you find out about some of these hidden benifits :twisted:

Thanks Ranger
"Man-gina is contagious outside the brown fence"
-=Medure=-
Cco 2/75
2nd PLT
95-98
RGRBaggett

Post by RGRBaggett »

I've got 30%. I don't know of any freebies out there for us. But I do know that if you are 30% or more you get dependent pay for spouse and kids. Any percentage will get you a prescription for free "Ranger Candy" at the VA.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

RGRBaggett,

There are a shitload of free bennies, especially to someone like you......I'm only @ 20%.

At 30%, you basically show up for a fed job and they pretty much HAVE to give it to you!

30% also gives you all the extra free schooling, above and beyond the GI Bill.

I wish I had some links, I'll research some more.

Happy, there are a lot of bennies at the state level, try the state website, anything under "veterans".
D2meD
Ranger

Post by D2meD »

I have to look into the fed job. As far as free school and med that is already in full effect.

If your not inroled in the VA or the VFW you should really be asking your sell why?
"Man-gina is contagious outside the brown fence"
-=Medure=-
Cco 2/75
2nd PLT
95-98
jcfenner
Embryo

VA Benefits

Post by jcfenner »

At 10% you "CAN" become eligible for Voc Rehab - 30% is generally the break over point. 100% makes you eligible for the "free?" Fed Parks "Golden Eaagle Pass" and several states have free or reduced rates at State Parks and fishing/hunting licenses.

as you probably already know, even a 0% rating (non-compensable) gets you treatment for that disability. 50% or more provides even more in the way of medical benefits. 100% is where you get the Mil ID Card and commissary, etc privledges; full medical/dental/eyes. Sometimes, you can get "Space A" flights to various mil airfields around the globe. Use of the guest quarters at sites like Honolulu, Italy, San Diego, etc...

If you are 10% - and feel you have greater injuries than that, keep the appeal process alive!

Good luck.
O/75th Ranger Reg (Abn) 69 RVN; B/75th Ranger Reg (Abn), Ft Carson '70-'72; F Co 51st Inf (LRP) Abn, '68-'69 RVN
girth

Post by girth »

welcome tphilli
rangercamaro
Ranger

Re: Disabled vets

Post by rangercamaro »

Happy wrote:Does any1 know where i can find out info about the benifits of being under disabled status. I was recently awarded 10% disablity. Besides my monthly check, what are some benifits that vets have. I know about the gov. jobs. But i heard we could get free fishing/hunting licencse and stuff like that. I've visited www.va.gov and this site is real vague.
Check with your state division of VA. Indiana has license plate/real estate tax breaks, possible college tuition reembursement for kids if disabled during war time, discounted hunting fishing etc.

Indiana has a rep in every county. Try the local county building.
Bco 1/75 2nd plt Wpn Sqd 89-93
HHC 1/75 Bn Armorer 93-94 (after cookoff)
straightshooter
Tadpole

Post by straightshooter »

I am not clear on the fishing license stuff I think it is 50% I will double check here at the VA for you. You do get a lifetime fishing license at a certain % rating and reduced rates into the parks, if not free. Also,
Anybody with 10% rating and over can fill out government form SF-15, for disability preference status on jobs, which gives you that 10 point preference edge over regular applicants. Just being in the military with no disability gives you a 5 point preference. (everything is based on a scoring system)
You can call 1-800-827-1000 to get a beneifits counselor. Hit 0 for an operator to get around there recordings to get a live person. (I think this number is good nation wide. If not, at the VA they have benefit handbooks that you can get for free and on the back pages are regional numbers to reach. Always put in 0 for a live person to talk to to avoid stupid recording info.
55B, 1989-1992, Ft. Benning, GA. United States Army Marksmanship Team 1990-1992, International Pistol.

life is what you make of it
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

straightshooter wrote:I am not clear on the fishing license stuff I think it is 50% I will double check here at the VA for you. You do get a lifetime fishing license at a certain % rating and reduced rates into the parks, if not free. Also,
Anybody with 10% rating and over can fill out government form SF-15, for disability preference status on jobs, which gives you that 10 point preference edge over regular applicants. Just being in the military with no disability gives you a 5 point preference. (everything is based on a scoring system)
You can call 1-800-827-1000 to get a beneifits counselor. Hit 0 for an operator to get around there recordings to get a live person. (I think this number is good nation wide. If not, at the VA they have benefit handbooks that you can get for free and on the back pages are regional numbers to reach. Always put in 0 for a live person to talk to to avoid stupid recording info.
Thanks SS, maybe you can send me a letter stating my monthly income for a auto loan I am applying for. I get 100%. Or should I call? I never got a letter from the VA in Wyo before.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
straightshooter
Tadpole

Post by straightshooter »

You don't want me writing it for ya!!! :lol: (Unless the car's for me :wink: )
I would call for a verification of benefits letter, it should only take a day to get them tosend it to you. Or, you can have them fax you one.
55B, 1989-1992, Ft. Benning, GA. United States Army Marksmanship Team 1990-1992, International Pistol.

life is what you make of it
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

straightshooter wrote:You don't want me writing it for ya!!! :lol: (Unless the car's for me :wink: )
I would call for a verification of benefits letter, it should only take a day to get them to send it to you. Or, you can have them fax you one.
I had a nice answer, then I figured it is gonna cost me. I will take your sound advice. It is cheaper! :lol:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

Check with your local Disabled American Veterans (DAV) chapter.
You will have to join, but they have all the resources you need to find out what exactly you are eligible for. They also have resources to help you try and get your rating upgraded or help you keep what you got if the VA ever comes looking for a re-eval. Hope that helps.
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?

Return to “Post Service Issues”