Disabled vets

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

>>

Post by SkyShark »

25 day after I got out of the service I filed with my local VA as the orthepedic Surgeon advised me to. 4 years later after calling and going in there twice a month there was still no answer. I was at the VFW one night telling a Korean War vet about the deal, he advised me to go to the DAV for assistance. I went down there the next daymet with the counselor. He advised me to sign a power of attorney that would allow him to speak on my behalf. I did. 6 months later, he calls me and tellsme that I was "awarded" 50%. Two weeks later I received my first check. I tell you what, it really sucked waiting 41/2 years but that was one hell of a check. 4 1/2 years back pay. It was nice. This all took place 5 years ago, if I had not gone to the DAV I would probably still be waiting. The DAV is a great organization, I would advise any vet to seek help from them when in need.
It's all good.
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Brothers,

I apoligize as I should have been on this topic a bit sooner than I was... It's been discussed time and again on here, however we'll highlight some of the things once again just to make sure that everyone gets covered.

As for your original claim, the process can take anywhere from 3 months to a year for your original determination and then if your unhappy with the rating, the appeal process can actually go on and on if you go from the VA system into the court system. The biggest reccomendations that I give to veteran's or family members that I work with here is the following:

First and foremost, stay involved in your case. Let know decision be made in your case that you're not aware of and more importantly, make no decision that's not an informed decision, weighing the long term pro's and con's of those decisions.

Second and damn near as important as the first one is to pick a good service agency to work your claim with and for you. It's crucial to have a Service Agency that's good in your region. Keeping in mind that depending on the area, there are better and worse agencies depending on who the service officer is and what their experience level is. It's amazing how different it can be from one region to another. Here the DAV and PVA are pretty amazing in their abilities (Nationally the DAV has the highest sucess rate on a percentage basis) but again it depends on where you are. Now contrary to popular belief, you don't necessarily have to go to the VA itself to file your claim and speak to a service officer. The American Legion, VFW and several other organizations have Service Officer's available to work with you depending on where you are. Give them a call.

Finally, don't simply rely on someone else to do your research. Do your own research right along with them. Stay in touch, know the law and learn what's going on as you go. Be informed. It's crucial to keep your records and for those still active duty now, if you hurt something, go to the doc's and get it recorded. This is a must do. KEEP COPIES OF YOUR MEDICAL AND SHOT RECORDS....

The same Service Organizations as well as the VA itself has people who are more than eager to assist you in filing your VOCREHAB claims as well. Currently there is some problems in two or three regions with the payouts leaving some 5000 veteran's without their funding but that's being handled rapidly. Know that this is without doubt one of the greatest programs withing the VA. I wish more veteran's would use it. Education benefits, anywhere you can get them are crucial to take advantage of. Also remember your veteran's preference when it comes to job placement. Don't fall into the mentality trap that VA employees are bad, evil people who don't want to help. When given the circumstances that these folks are working under, I have yet to find a better group of people as a whole. I am consistantly amazed at the extra mile the individual VA employee will go to assist a veteran. Much better than any civilian program in the nation.

In closing, if anyone on the board at any time needs assistance with a claim, I am always no further than a PM or an email away... Shoot me a message before you sit on something letting it go.

Good luck and Godspeed,
Jim
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Ranger Happy,

Go to your local VA office. Enroll with the VA medical center. Whatever the Army gave you is probably about half of what the VA will. Actively seek treatment at the VA hospital, then request a reevaluation of your problem. You can also request an eval of any problem that you suffered while in service. As long as there is some kind of record of it, like a TMC document or something, the VA will recognize it. It is in their interest to help you. A happy Vet is a quiet Vet. I know there are some who would abuse this system, but it's there so go for it. Everyone can use extra cash; as a Vet who was injured in any way, you deserve it.

Also, Chapter 31 is worth it. There is a catch. If you are eligible for 4 years of tuition assistance, that is it. It does not matter where it comes from. It can be any combination of GI Bill/children tuition assistance/Voc Rehab, which equals 4 years. If VocRehab looks like it will be the best for you, start it early and end it early. You will still have your GI Bill left over for the remainder of your 4 years of assistance.

Oh, as Skyshark said, the longer you wait, the larger the back-pay check is. Getting a check for several thousand dollars is really great when you're poor and trying to go to school.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

I am currently at 60% and that is an upgrade from what the Army ass raped me at 10%. I have completed a BS IT on VocRehab.

I am a lifetime member of the DAV and I strongly reccomend you join and request assistance with any appeals processes. I tried one without assistance and I was downgraded. Don't be a baracks doctor/lawyer, get help.

If you hurt, don't bullshit around. There is no honor in suffering needlessly. But don't waste your/our time trying to get something you don't deserve either.

Just go spend an afternoon in a VA hospital and you'll see what has become of the VA medical services.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Towedjmpr wrote:I am currently at 60% and that is an upgrade from what the Army ass raped me at 10%. I have completed a BS IT on VocRehab.

I am a lifetime member of the DAV and I strongly reccomend you join and request assistance with any appeals processes. I tried one without assistance and I was downgraded. Don't be a baracks doctor/lawyer, get help.

If you hurt, don't bullshit around. There is no honor in suffering needlessly. But don't waste your/our time trying to get something you don't deserve either.

Just go spend an afternoon in a VA hospital and you'll see what has become of the VA medical services.
Yeah, get what services you can at your local V.A. Soon they are all going to close. :cry:

Young Veterans coming in have only two years in which to seek medical aid. :cry:

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
1/75 Ranger
Ranger

Post by 1/75 Ranger »

I'm rated at 50% disability, I was awarded this on 23 August 2005. I haven't yet applied for any free shit but I have heard that it is all true if rated at 50-100%.
1st Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment
C.CO. 2nd plt. Weapons squad, 2nd squad. February 2002 - March 2005.

4-02 (RIP)

O.E.F 2 (Afghanistan)

PRAY FOR WAR........KILL FOR PEACE !
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

There are a lot of variations among VA offices. As an example, Washington, DC tends to be more generous than Richmond, VA. joining the DAV is a prudent action on your part. On the other hand, do not try to BS the VA -- there have been a number who have been convicted of trying to defraud the VA.
Last edited by Jim on November 3rd, 2005, 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
SF Flyer
Ranger

Post by SF Flyer »

19yrs next month, so retirement is on my mind. I'm old and creaky, so I'm sure there's going to be a % in my future.

Questions:
1. How do I know how much I might get?

2. Is there an information source on the web anywhere that might let me in on the secret of what kind of damage results in a certain percentage?
C-2/75 April87--Jan90 RGR Class 11-88
Huckleberry Creek Instructor
18B SFQC 91, then 3/1SFG(A) through Apr95
Ch-47D, C-12 Pilot, Retired 2008.
Contracting, ISR Pilot.
Now I'm a Boeing Manufacturing Manager.

Return to “Post Service Issues”