Lasik Eye Surgery

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Kwith
Tadpole

Lasik Eye Surgery

Post by Kwith »

A recruiter told me that the Army will cover lasik eye surgery for soldiers. Was just wondering if anybody here has undergone the surgery, or happens to think that the procedure may be a better option than wearing glasses or contacts.
Spartan

Re: Lasik Eye Surgery

Post by Spartan »

Kwith wrote:A recruiter told me that the Army will cover lasik eye surgery for soldiers. Was just wondering if anybody here has undergone the surgery, or happens to think that the procedure may be a better option than wearing glasses or contacts.
Use the search function on the site. It's been covered previously.
RangerX
Ranger

Re: Lasik Eye Surgery

Post by RangerX »

Kwith wrote:A recruiter told me that the Army will cover lasik eye surgery for soldiers. Was just wondering if anybody here has undergone the surgery, or happens to think that the procedure may be a better option than wearing glasses or contacts.
A few things-

First, I have several friends who have had this procedure done. Bring ear plugs and stuff them up your nose before you start.

Second, Lasik can have adverse effects on your night vision, particularly if the surgeon isn't experienced.

Third, be wary if it's an Army doctor doing it. A lot of the stuff now being offered for "free" by the Army, such as boob jobs and other cosmetic procedures, are done so that inexperienced doctors can get some practice in before hitting the civilian market. Lasik may be along the same lines.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Kwith
Tadpole

Post by Kwith »

Right, I have heard of decreased night vision and people actually seeings rings, or halos, around lights at night. If the Army covers your procedure must it be with an Army optician?
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Night vision was messed up for a short time, then it came back. Really bright sunlight hurts more now but I just wear sunglasses more than I did. But overall it kicks ass. I highly recommend it but I didn't have a army docter do it either. I split my elbow open one time in the army and the docter pulled out a book to look it up, not exactly building up my confidence in him.

Ranger2
Kwith
Tadpole

Post by Kwith »

I looked into Lasik with a civilian eye doctor, and from what I have found, it can cost more than $1,000 an eye. I suppose it is worth the money though. Many of the people I have asked about it were all satisfied for the most part. I know the Army will cover the procedure for you, but is there anyway that the Army will cover the procedure if you choose to get the surgery done by a civilian doctor?
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

I spent $1300 an eye five years ago. I could have gone cheaper or to Canada - but fuck that these are my EYES. The Dr. that I had was kick ass. I went from being so blind you could see the futre with my glasses to 20/15. Best money I ever spent - wish I would/could have done it sooner.
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?

Return to “Medical Issues”