Is fitness crucial to being a good leader (in the military)?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
avidwanderer
USAF Vet/US Army Chopper Pilot

Is fitness crucial to being a good leader (in the military)?

Post by avidwanderer »

I am a firm believer that to be a good leader in any infantry or infantry-related career field one must be fit, as well as have leadership qualities. One without the other will not yield good results. I am relatively new to the military (3 years), but have seen fitness playing a crucial rule in leadership while in training environments.

Some people in my career field don't agree that fitness has anything to do with leadership. I am not saying that if you are fit, you are a good leader, I am saying that if you are not fit, you aren't a good leader (for the mission).

I realize there are good unfit leaders such as corporate bosses, etc, etc, however I am talking about a leadership specific to the realm of the military grunt.

Any comments? I am here to learn, as always.
Nov 2001--March 2006 52 SFS, 49 OSS
as active duty air force security forces
--crossed to army--
March 2006-May 2006 WOCS Class 06-07
May 2006-Nov 2007 B Co. 1/145th
Nov 2007-In a US army CAB
Oct 2008--Oct 2009 Camp Speicher B. 3-10 AVN
Oct 2010--Present JAF Task Force Six Shooters (Calvary)
AIR CAV!!!!
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

What exactly do you base your opinion on?
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

kind of hard to lead from the front if you are always sucking wind.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
avidwanderer
USAF Vet/US Army Chopper Pilot

Post by avidwanderer »

Ranger Matador, I don't have to much to base my opinion on. I attended Indoctrination and Pre-Ranger, and have been part of an exercise or two. I am basing my opinions on team leaders (officers) from indoc, what I saw at pre-ranger, and what I have seen on exercises.
Nov 2001--March 2006 52 SFS, 49 OSS
as active duty air force security forces
--crossed to army--
March 2006-May 2006 WOCS Class 06-07
May 2006-Nov 2007 B Co. 1/145th
Nov 2007-In a US army CAB
Oct 2008--Oct 2009 Camp Speicher B. 3-10 AVN
Oct 2010--Present JAF Task Force Six Shooters (Calvary)
AIR CAV!!!!
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Although I believe you can be a good leader in a non-military role without being a fitness guru, I do believe that a true leader sets the example for others to follow. Being of sound mind and body is part of leading the way.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
mikelogics
Tadpole

Post by mikelogics »

The best type of leadership is by example. "Walk the talk", as they say. Given the extremely demanding nature of our jobs, it is essential that leaders take physical conditioning as a DUTY not only to themselves, but their men and the mission.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

SFOC Class 77-94
Tm Ldr, SF Tm 1302 95-96
CO, 12th SF Co. SFR(A) SOCOM PA 97-99
CO, 66th Infantry Battalion 10th Infantry Divison, Philippine Army (current)
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Being fit is a trait that also builds mental toughness and the ability to make better decisions during critical moments.

As stated previously, You can't lead from the front when you're sucking. INSTANT CREDIBILTY LOSS WITH YOUR SOLDIERS.

The people you work with, and I hate to take the jab at the AF, ARE NOT COMBAT LEADERS. Regardless of whether or not they are Security Forces. They are managers of personell, not Leaders. They leadership mentallity (the intangible part) will most often be lost on them.

Without further pissing off our AF brethren here, I'll recommend you get your hands on a copy of Field Manual 22-100. Trust me, after reading chapters 1-3 and 5 you'll understand.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I don't think you have to have the highest PT score to be a leader but if you fall out of the road march or get dehydrated and quit on a movement you are done.

I remember having a team leader who didn't know the parts of the SAW. Instant credibility loss. That was just the parts of the SAW, just think if he had fallen out on a run or something.

I think it is key in the Rangers, you don't have to be the best but you had better be able to hang.

My best squad leader led by example in everything. I would have followed him anywhere.

Ranger2
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

No matter where you are at, if you are a fat fuck, you are a fat fucking fatass.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Never ask a soldier to do what you are not willing, or physically able to do. If the leader is not willing to be No.1 man in the stack then he has no business being in charge.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
jsmurphy
Tadpole

Post by jsmurphy »

What they said.

11B20 leg grunt. OSUT Benning '80. B 2/13 FRG '81-'83. B 1/58 Benning '83-'84.

Fuck the UN
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

You have to be in better shape than them, or else they'll beat you to the bar, and that my friends, is unacceptable.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

The answer is obvious (as previosly stated), however we serve (or have served) in the military, whether or not a person who is in a leadership position is a slug or not, we are tasked with the responsibility to FOLLOW ORDERS. Now I've heard that in some units this is not the norm, however in our unit it is, whether we respect them or not, we must adhere to the directive given or risk the loss of unit intergrity. Which is the underlining linchpin of the effectiveness of a Military Unit AT ALL TIMES.

In addition we must place faith in our chain of command to make the necessary changes if in fact there is anyone in the chain who is incompetant and unnessarily risking soldiers lives.

But the effectiveness of Leadership to inspire and motivate ones troops certainly is enhanced when the troops respect and can depend on their leaders in terms of their ability to LEAD THE WAY and demonstrate that if they can do it, so must we.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

H8 Train wrote:What the fuck are you asking bud? :?
He's probably fixing to do a scientific experiment on "How to Max the APFT" on a diet of nothing but donuts. :lol:

Credibilty and respect are key elements that go hand in hand if you ever expect to be an effective leader.

Don't expect your men to do something you cannot.

Don't ask them to do PT if you can't.

Don't expect them to be in shape mentally or physically for the rigors of what is demanded of them if you aren't.

If you can't lead by example being technically and tactically proficient, then it'll always be "do as I say and not as I do"- expect mediocre results and rolling eyeballs from then on.

If you're not training for combat, and training to win and survive, why are you training?

Combat takes a tremendous toll on a soldier physically and psycho-sematically (ie 20 lb load feels like 300)

When the shit hits the fan and all the above has already manifested itself into the image now instilled, expect to die.

If you don't strive to do your best, be your best and expect nothing less, you have failed Leadership 101. This is the least acceptable outcome. If I was your superior, I owe it to my soldiers to do everything in my power to ensure they can fight, survive and win. Expect me to relieve you and don't expect the luxury of a reason.

Time to move on to Mickey D's "Burger flipping made easy"

AW, I realize you're AF, but after all this time you've been here on this site, haven't you figured out by now that this is what makes a Ranger a Ranger?
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”