Rank gained through DEP

Basic & AIT
Poetryisdeath
Embryo

Rank gained through DEP

Post by Poetryisdeath »

Through the DEP program, for those that may not know, you can gain the rank of (up to) Private First Class through a pre-BCT training list (rank identification, map reading, terrain association, et cetera), a physical fitness test, and a referral that joins the Army.

My question here is: Is this looked down upon through: OSUT, RIP, and the Ranger Battallions? If not looked down upon, is it taken away?

I'm asking because I'm about a month away from making PV2 and I'm wondering if a) it's worth the time b) it will cause any trouble for me later on.

Respectfully, PiD.
Ranger Terry Welshan wrote:Run fast, stay awake, dont drown, dont fail, that should cover it.
I just want to do what I can for my country, with the best that I can.
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

I say get all the rank you can while the getting's good and who cares what your buddies think!!!

Can you say 'military' bus driver's license?
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

The only time I have ever seen to much as an issue is when a SPC without a tab shows up ......that is a PV-4.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Poetryisdeath
Embryo

Post by Poetryisdeath »

Thank you for your replies, Ranger Rgrpuck, and Veteran AngryPistols.

Have a nice day.
Ranger Terry Welshan wrote:Run fast, stay awake, dont drown, dont fail, that should cover it.
I just want to do what I can for my country, with the best that I can.
Eleven X-Ray
Tadpole

Post by Eleven X-Ray »

rgrpuck wrote:The only time I have ever seen to much as an issue is when a SPC without a tab shows up ......that is a PV-4.
Ranger rgrpuck, I just got my BS and was planning on enlisting as an E-4. As far as I know it's not official yet. Would you recommend not taking the E-4?
Ranger Silverback's Mentee
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Eleven X-Ray wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:The only time I have ever seen to much as an issue is when a SPC without a tab shows up ......that is a PV-4.
Ranger rgrpuck, I just got my BS and was planning on enlisting as an E-4. As far as I know it's not official yet. Would you recommend not taking the E-4?
Damn I got me a smart Mentee. Take the promotion...if you're squared away it won't matter!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:
Eleven X-Ray wrote:
Damn I got me a smart Mentee. Take the promotion...if you're squared away it won't matter!

Take the promotion but dont think because you are a SPC that you will get any resepect at all. Even from a PVT. Your worst Nightmare would be a PFC with a TAB.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

I was a tabbed SP4 transplant to Battalion and while there was respect for the tab, you will still have to gain the respect of your peers. This goes for anything you do in life or in the military.

Don't be 'afraid' to take the promotion because you think it may be 'harder' on you. Who gives a fuck. Dig down deep and do what you need to do to succeed and gain that respect. Learn how to follow and then lead by example.

If you are chosing to be a Ranger, the whole journey is hard, full of challenges, and will provide you with opportunities to excel. The reward is how you feel about yourself when you have risen to the occasion (100% and then some!).

The Rangers on this site are proud, and rightfully so.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
Eleven X-Ray
Tadpole

Post by Eleven X-Ray »

Thank you for the responses Rangers.
Ranger Silverback's Mentee
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

I went into the Army as a PFC (4 years JROTC). I didn't wear the rank, primarily because I never had a chance to go to the PX to get some. Drill Sgt. Found out I was aPFCand not wearing Rank, got my asked smoked for it. He took me to the PX and he bought me the Rank. Was told if I was ever caugh without it again, it would result in a Company Grade Article 15. ABN School no one ever noticed me. RIP, had the Rank on was seen by the Cadre and was made a platoon guide. That sucked, because you are always in front of the cadre and can't blend in with everyone else. My advice, get the rank if you can. If you get it. Wear it. You don't want to get fucked with anymore than normal in Basic. Good Luck.
It's all good.
JMK SF G-2
Tadpole

Post by JMK SF G-2 »

Damn Shark, I had the opposite thing happen to me. I also went in as a PFC (one year college back then - 1985). I bought the rank while in reception, and showed up wearing it to my basic training company. The Drill Sergeant got a look at me and said "How in the HELL are you a PFC?!" My reply: "College credits, Drill Sergeant". "Oh, yeah, college boy? GET DOWN!" As I was pushing, he proceeded to tell me that I wasn't as smart as I thought I was (I thought I wasn't so smart at the time!). When I finally recovered, he said "You're in charge of this squad now. I hope you like it, PFC! And take that shit off your collar. You're just a fucking Private until you graduate; IF you graduate!" I got really good at doing pushups after that.
And God shall wipe away all the tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death. Neither sorrow, nor crying. Neither shall there be any more brain; for the former things are passed away. - Revelations
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

Just goes to show, a drill (not to mention Rangers) will fuck with you no matter what. They can always find something. :lol:
It's all good.
Justin480

Post by Justin480 »

I'll let you know from my experience. We had one SPC in my Platoon and all that happened is he got made fun of a lot. It is good to get paid more money though. They are going to expect the SPC to be high speed and lead classes and shit like that. At Jump school there is only like 40 of us in my company still, we're still waiting to get filled, and the SPC right now is in charge our duty roster and shit like that. My DS also said that when he goes to his unit they will make him a team leader. So just expect to have just a little more responsibility put on you. If your squared away you'll have no problem and it would be fun but if you don't know what your doing could be a bumpy road.
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

Justin480 wrote:I'll let you know from my experience. We had one SPC in my Platoon and all that happened is he got made fun of a lot. It is good to get paid more money though. They are going to expect the SPC to be high speed and lead classes and shit like that. At Jump school there is only like 40 of us in my company still, we're still waiting to get filled, and the SPC right now is in charge our duty roster and shit like that. My DS also said that when he goes to his unit they will make him a team leader. So just expect to have just a little more responsibility put on you. If your squared away you'll have no problem and it would be fun but if you don't know what your doing could be a bumpy road.
If you are already in the Army, why don't you change that opt 40 stuff under your screen name?
It's all good.
Bell

Post by Bell »

SkyShark wrote:
Justin480 wrote:I'll let you know from my experience. We had one SPC in my Platoon and all that happened is he got made fun of a lot. It is good to get paid more money though. They are going to expect the SPC to be high speed and lead classes and shit like that. At Jump school there is only like 40 of us in my company still, we're still waiting to get filled, and the SPC right now is in charge our duty roster and shit like that. My DS also said that when he goes to his unit they will make him a team leader. So just expect to have just a little more responsibility put on you. If your squared away you'll have no problem and it would be fun but if you don't know what your doing could be a bumpy road.
If you are already in the Army, why don't you change that opt 40 stuff under your screen name?
He can't. And I'm waiting to see if he successfully completes Airborne School. Once he hits RIP, or goes to a unit, I'll change it.

RLTW
Bell

Return to “About OSUT”