How old is too old?

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
choirboy
Embryo

How old is too old?

Post by choirboy »

I'm calling upon the experience of the Ranger Instructors in this forum. How has age affected the ability of Ranger students to complete the course? Do you find older students better or less equipped physically/emotionally to pass the course? I ask because my personal experience with Rangers in prior service is that they all attended Ranger School while still in their 20's. Once I am on active duty, I may not get an opportunity to attend until I am in my early 40's (I haven't heard of a maximum age requirement).
Everett Ruess
Ranger

Post by Everett Ruess »

When I was in 1/75 our chaplain attended Ranger school and he was in his late 30s or early 40s. He later went on to become the first Regimental chaplain. Read MUCH more than you post, choirboy. All your answers are probably already here (search button).
HHC 1/75 '92
OIF 07-09
197th STC (SO)(A)-present

Sua Sponte!

Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent - that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman and loves only a warrior.
Friedrich Nietzsche
10thVet

Post by 10thVet »

I had a good friend go thru at the age of 38. That is the oldest person that I know personally....
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Actually,

Ranger Toomey, age 49, was and still is I believe to this date, the oldest student to ever complete the course. (He was a SFC. 13F I believe was his mos and a full blooded Irishman :wink: ) I asked him one time why in the hell he waited so late in his career to attend. His response: "Because I'm Irish Sergeant! We're late for everything". 1987 was the year. Can't remember the class number. CRS moment. Hell, just this morning I was naked when I executed my first vehicle stop of the day. Couldn't find my pen to scratch out the citation. Lucky for him, he got off with a verbal warning.......Hell, where was I? Oh yeah. CSM Owens had been the oldest up until that point. Bottom line is if you do your homework, get prepped properly, both mentally and physically, by all means go for it.

CM
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Silverback
Ranger

Re: How old is too old?

Post by Silverback »

choirboy wrote:I'm calling upon the experience of the Ranger Instructors in this forum. How has age affected the ability of Ranger students to complete the course? Do you find older students better or less equipped physically/emotionally to pass the course? I ask because my personal experience with Rangers in prior service is that they all attended Ranger School while still in their 20's. Once I am on active duty, I may not get an opportunity to attend until I am in my early 40's (I haven't heard of a maximum age requirement).
Your mind and physical conditioning will be the largest deciding factors!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Don't think being a chaplain will help you...God just laughs at your ass too!
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Gravedigger
Ranger

Post by Gravedigger »

The oldest student I remember was a Col. in the marine corps who was close to 50. He was pretty tough and as instructors we kept an eye on him and he did fine, was probably the slowest runner but his leadrship and experience made up for it. I know he went on to the mts.

RLTW
RI 4th RTB 85-88 [Darby]
9th ID scouts 82-85
4/9 Manchu 79-81 [Alaska]
RS 6-84 [ Fortune Favors The Bold]
SERE Instructor class 3-83
NWTC
Mentor to:
Deadbolt

RLTW

" The Fun Starts When the Pussies Fall Out"
UBOAT
Ranger

RANGER SCHOOL

Post by UBOAT »

I was once told :
" It's not your ability, it's your DESIRE!"

my buddy did it at 38. I did it at 20. I sure as hell wouldnt do it now, but then again I have survived 11 years in the Ranger Regiment too.

The only thing you need to worry about is the first week:
PT Test, CWST, 5-mile,Land Nav, Buddy Run, and 14.5 foot march to Darby. The first week is the hardest, after that, its your leadership!!
SERVED IN A CO 1ST RANGER BATTALION FROM 31MAR92 TO 20SEP01; 75TH PRE RANGER FROM 21SEP01 TO 20APR03. GRADUATED RANGER SCHOOL ON 13MAY94 CLASS 6-94.
4TH RTB 21APR03-30NOV05
82ND DEC05-PRESENT

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”