U.S. Army Tests New Ammo, Technology, Seeking Future Pistol

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Newsman
Embryo

U.S. Army Tests New Ammo, Technology, Seeking Future Pistol

Post by Newsman »

The U.S. Army is testing potent pistol ammunition, including .45-caliber rounds, as a possible alternative for the 9mm M9 pistol round which often is criticized for its lack of stopping power.

The 9mm cartridge has since World War I seen action all over the world. Still, soldiers have questioned the performance of the lightweight ammunition, the standard pistol caliber for NATO forces, since the Army chose it as a replacement for the combat-proven .45 two decades ago.

Story
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Re: U.S. Army Tests New Ammo, Technology, Seeking Future Pis

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Southoftheborder wrote:
Newsman wrote:The 9mm cartridge has since World War I seen action all over the world. Still, soldiers have questioned the performance of the lightweight ammunition, the standard pistol caliber for NATO forces, since the Army chose it as a replacement for the combat-proven .45 two decades ago.
Thats because most haven't been given sufficient time behind the gun. 9mm/45 -- none make a difference if you can't hit your target. Both rounds have killed many a badguy (and goodguy too, for that matter).

When it comes to pistol rounds, I would love to hear that a military service decided to spend as much money on a study teaching people to hit their targets as they do trying to find the magic bullet....

Best comment I have ever heard on this shit. Hats off to SOB.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

I agree ....still it is hard to beat a .45 in stopping power.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

rgrpuck wrote:I agree ....still it is hard to beat a .45 in stopping power.
Well yallllll....not many can recover after being hit with small artilllary.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Chiron
Ranger

Re: U.S. Army Tests New Ammo, Technology, Seeking Future Pis

Post by Chiron »

Abell9 wrote:
Southoftheborder wrote:
Newsman wrote:The 9mm cartridge has since World War I seen action all over the world. Still, soldiers have questioned the performance of the lightweight ammunition, the standard pistol caliber for NATO forces, since the Army chose it as a replacement for the combat-proven .45 two decades ago.
Thats because most haven't been given sufficient time behind the gun. 9mm/45 -- none make a difference if you can't hit your target. Both rounds have killed many a badguy (and goodguy too, for that matter).

When it comes to pistol rounds, I would love to hear that a military service decided to spend as much money on a study teaching people to hit their targets as they do trying to find the magic bullet....

Best comment I have ever heard on this shit. Hats off to SOB.
SOB I think you hit it on the nose. I spent lots of time with both and to tell you the truth it didn't matter which one when the round went thru your eye your dead in both cases. :wink: Actually I think the 9mm got to the bulls eye faster. 8)
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Draco »

/agree...SOB hit it right square on the nose.

It's also being dicussed on the HKPro boards. A lot of the discussion deals with caliber and the procurement of whatever they choose.
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

I just got rid of the 96D and every time we qualed they went over all the faults.

If the trigger doesnt return forward, then the spring broke flick the trigger foward by hand and try to shoot

If the trigger bar spring breaks turn gun upside down and shoot

Lets inspect it for cracks

and it was just an inacurate piece of shit
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92

Return to “Weapons of War”