This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerTee
Ranger

Re: Introduction...Recce By Death

Post by RangerTee »

Ok, found a reference by McD:

http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7457
McD wrote:Man you guys had it easy. Our cat eyes were 1/2 x 1 inch rectangles. Each one had 2 stitches near the top, 2 in the middle, and 2 near the bottom on both sides of the cat eye for a total of 12 stitches per cat eye. On the back side (inside the patrol cap) each stitche was tied off using a square knot with a half hitch on both side of the square knot. That is correct 12 square knots with half hitches on each stitch. In Ranger School the RI's checked them before we were let into the mess hall.

Of course that was back when you had to be really HARD to cut it! :D
So... at least he remembers the same thing... 12 knots per eye times two eyes. Whew... thought I had totally lost it there for a minute.
"War is an extension of politics by other means" - Carl Phillip Gottfried von Clausewitz - "On War"

http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
U.D. for VII Corps LRRP, C/58 LRP, B/75 RGR for 75th Ranger.Regt.Assn.

Class 2-73
B/75: 72-74
Co.B,1st Ranger Bn.: 74-75
Div.Pathfinders-T.L.,101st Abn.
75thRRA.L.M.#1820
D.A.V. Life Member (75-current)
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

RangerTee wrote:Ok, found a reference by McD:

McD wrote:Man you guys had it easy. Our cat eyes were 1/2 x 1 inch rectangles. Each one had 2 stitches near the top, 2 in the middle, and 2 near the bottom on both sides of the cat eye for a total of 12 stitches per cat eye. On the back side (inside the patrol cap) each stitche was tied off using a square knot with a half hitch on both side of the square knot. That is correct 12 square knots with half hitches on each stitch. In Ranger School the RI's checked them before we were let into the mess hall.

So... at least he remembers the same thing... 12 knots per eye times two eyes. Whew... thought I had totally lost it there for a minute.
Shit, how do you spell alshimerz?
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

RangerTee wrote:Ok, found a reference by McD:

All I remember is that we had to use dental floss for the thread. In C. Co. we had two inverse (upside down) triangles for our cat eyes.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Recce By Death
Embryo

Post by Recce By Death »

Well, so far the poser is keeping low. He's also communicating through someone on the site about there being too much drama.

Apparently he's based in Florida and getting ready for deployment to Afghanistan. :roll:

Regards
My reward will be measured by the lethality of my crew I will train and the battlefield damage we will inflict. Let others pay in blood for their lack of readiness.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

RangerTee wrote:Recce:

4. General:
How many knots are used to tie on the cat's eyes on the back of the Ranger patrol cap?
Answer: 24
There are 2 pieces of luminous tape on the back of the cap, each is attached with 3 sets of 2 knots per side (six knots per side for the two, total of 12x2 or 24).

Suppose we can come up with some more if necessary. Feel free to PM me if you need some more help. Whatever info you get you can always check back with us to verify. If you have a full name and either a class number or a year he graduated, we can always check the records to see if he was really in that class, or attended/graduated that year.
I just looked at a picture of me in my PC as a Ranger student. I had one knot at the top, one in the middle and one on the bottom of each side of the tape. So I got (3 X 2 per piece of tape = 6, 6 x 2 pieces of tape = 12 knots). I have got to get a life -- that's all.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Introduction Archive”