Ivory Gates update

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Ivory Gates
Tadpole

Ivory Gates update

Post by Ivory Gates »

I'm in my 11th week of OSUT here at Ft. Benning and on my 36 hour pass, so I figured I'd stop in here for a sitrep. Everything is going well and I really enjoy the training we do, even though the waiting we have to do in between sucks. My pt is pretty good, I got a 286 on the test, and we finally got access to the pt track and weights for use during our free time. There were about 7 opt40's in my platoon to start with, but most of them now sound like they don't really want it or just took the slot to get airborne out of it. This past week the Drill Sergeants called up everyone who wanted a Ranger slot and they all got them, they actually had more Ranger slots than standard airborne ones, which thay only had 2 of for my platoon. For you guys on your way here, I would recommend that you work on your back strength/pull ups, as you will be doing quite a few of them, plus rope climbing and the confidence course which has a lot of shit to pull yourself up and over. If you cannot do the pullups or climbing, you will be pushing, so get a head start on it now. I only have one more week of training, followed by our ftx and a week of cleaning before graduation, and I can't wait to start airborne. Everyday I'm here I become happier with my decision to become a Ranger, and joining the Army was the best choice I've made in my life.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Excellent report Ivory Gates. Damned glad you've stayed focused and motivated. I wish you the best in the challenges which lie ahead.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Good luck on your journey, young soldier. Thanks for the update, we really do like to know how you're doing.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

IG, Glad to hear you have a good frame of mind. Stay focused and keep driving on. :lol:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Ivory Gates update

Post by Earthpig »

Ivory Gates wrote:Everyday I'm here I become happier with my decision to become a Ranger, and joining the Army was the best choice I've made in my life.
That's what I like to hear! I remember the ones who thought that way when I went through....they were the ones who went to a Ranger Bat or to the Airborne units. The other guys were the ones who whined about everything. I assume that the whiners never made it in the military. Keep that attitude and stay focused....you'll do fine. Excellent report!
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
BoarHunter
Tadpole

Post by BoarHunter »

Awesome news bud! I/ we appreciate the heads up. Keep in contact, I am interested to see how airborne is! I am so damn jealous you are already so in to your training and I have another semester of college left.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

No clue who you are, but that was a damn fine Sitrep. Maintain that attitude and it will be a whole lot easier for you in the next twelve months.

Return to “Letters from School”