Favorite Authors?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

keithlester
Embryo

Post by keithlester »

I second the Forsyth and Vonnegut recomendations. Great books. If you've never read Joseph Heller's Catch-22, get ready to laugh your ass off. Another classic combat novel is Norman Mailer's The Naked and the Dead. Heller, Mailer and Vonnegut are all WWII combat vets.

One good book I read recently was called "Blood on the Risers". It's a pretty good look at the realities of soldier life. I can't remember the authors name right off hand, as is the case with "Buffalo SOldiers", also pretty good.

A far as non-military themed books and authors go, I'd recommend David Foster Wallace, Albert Camus, Vladimir Nabokov, Fulkner.

In my opinion, the greatest war novel ever written is "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer. It's a biographical acount of a German Soldier's experiences on the Russian front in WWII. It's also on the West Point Required reading list.

One more and I'll force myself to stop. If you are a leader (or ever expect to be) you gotta read Col. David Hackworth's "To Steel My Soldier's Hearts" (and you can thank me later).
11B1P
3/47 Inf. (199th Bde), Ft Lewis '90-93
1/509 PIR (JRTC), Ft Polk '93-94
1/116 Inf. (29th ID, Light)
Airborne School @ B co. 1/507, 1990
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

BUMP

Forgot about this thread. Sure could use an update every now and again.

Personally I've been reading a lot of 'historical fiction' recently primarily stuff from the Napoleonic War,

Bernard Cornwell - the 'Sharpe' series
Dudley Pope - the 'Ramage' series

Currently reading 'The Seven Years War in Europe 1756-1763' by Franz A. J. Szabo. We Americans know the Seven Years War as the French and Indian War of Roger's Rangers fame. Interesting read from an Austro-Hungarian apologist who is thoroughly deprecating of Fredrick II of Prussia, also known as Fredrick the Great.

Anyway there's my bump, Let the Games Begin! :D
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Gordo173 wrote:BUMP

Forgot about this thread. Sure could use an update every now and again.

Personally I've been reading a lot of 'historical fiction' recently primarily stuff from the Napoleonic War,

Bernard Cornwell - the 'Sharpe' series
Dudley Pope - the 'Ramage' series

Currently reading 'The Seven Years War in Europe 1756-1763' by Franz A. J. Szabo. We Americans know the Seven Years War as the French and Indian War of Roger's Rangers fame. Interesting read from an Austro-Hungarian apologist who is thoroughly deprecating of Fredrick II of Prussia, also known as Fredrick the Great.

Anyway there's my bump, Let the Games Begin! :D

Interesting that most people dont realize that the F&I war that we know can be classified as one of the first global conflicts.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Steven Pressfield. He wrote "Gates of Fire" but he also wrote a handful of other novels of the ancient age.

I did like Stephen King's "Tower" series, but now he annoys me.

Harry Turtledove. He write about alternative histories.

David Nevin. His novels deal with the beginning of this nation, but after 1800. In one book his subject is about one of the most screwed up elections this nation ever had. It makes the whole Bush/Gore thing look like kindergarten and almost led to war. This was the Jefferson/Burr election.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
johnjohnson1957
Ranger

Post by johnjohnson1957 »

"Legacy of Ashes" is excellent. Story of the CIA from its founding; hard to believe what they have declassified and suprising there is even a CIA after all their screw ups. Sorry but can't remember the author.

Martin Gilbert wrote one of the best histories of WW! I have ever read.

I really liked Cornwall's Sharpe series. A funny and ight look at British military history is his Flashman series.

Louis Lamour is a good way to kill a couple of hours. "Once an Eagle" is good way to kill a couple of days.
Army AD medic: FAMC, 2/5 FA, 97 Gen Hosp, AFRC Berchtesgaden, 28 CSH; 1975-1980
Army Guard/Reserve: 1/410 Inf, 209 Med Clr Co, 12th SF: 1982-1988
USAF AD: 1988-2003; Retired
RS 10-81
LEROY
Ranger

Post by LEROY »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:I read everything I can put my hands on. Just read "The Jerico Sanction" by Oliver North....pretty decent fiction. Not only can the boy fight and stand by his President...half decent writer. Clive Cussler puts out a good read. Steven Coonts, Larry McMurtry, all good. Louis Lamour all time best ever.
RANGER Rock Island Ranger, did you read the book he wrote before "The Jericho Sanction" "Mission Compromised?" If you liked those books you might want to try Vince Flynn.
H Co 121st LRS 00-14
RS Class 07-09
ARNG-WTC Schools NCO
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

just read a book by Richard A. Clarke,
Your Government Failed You: Breaking the Cycle of National Security Disasters.

Excellent read, all facts are checked and references are posted in the back of the book. I spent 2 months checking most of the facts and dude told the bitter truth in this one.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

RRDTm3 wrote:just read a book by Richard A. Clarke,
Your Government Failed You: Breaking the Cycle of National Security Disasters.

Excellent read, all facts are checked and references are posted in the back of the book. I spent 2 months checking most of the facts and dude told the bitter truth in this one.
Clarke's first book is outstanding as well. "Against All Enemies".

Pressfield's most recent book about the Long Range Desert Group is a great read.

Another one on SF in Vietnam I just read, which covers one day in the life of a Mobile Guerrilla Force company is one of the best I've read in a while. It's called "No Greater Love" by James Donahue
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

I see Bernard Cornwell mentioned a few times. His Sharpe series is great, but his newest (and ongoing) series about the Norman conquest of England is probably my favorite. He also has a trilogy about an English Longbowmen in the 100 years war that is good.

Vince Flynn and Brad Thor are both entertaining fiction reads.

The reference in an earlier post to George R.R. Martin being a latter day Tolkien is spot on, in my opinion. HBO has recently purchased the rights and is filming a mini-series on these books. 1 book will equal one season on HBO. His next book in the series is due out in September I believe.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I just got a random package in the mail... Seems that Scuba sent me his autographed copy of "The Bridges of Madison County". Said it was his all time favorite, and that I should add it to my collection.

8)
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

GSXRanger wrote:I just got a random package in the mail... Seems that Scuba sent me his autographed copy of "The Bridges of Madison County". Said it was his all time favorite, and that I should add it to my collection.

8)
Bull shit... We all know what his favorite book is:

RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

BBBWWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

No comments?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I laughed my ass off at that one SB... maybe they don't get it? :lol: :lol:
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
abn-rgr
Ranger

Post by abn-rgr »

Holy shit thats funny. Where you at Scuba???
RS 04-94
"Hard and Cold for the Black and Gold"
Ne Desit Virtus

Return to “The Mosh Pit”