History of the M16

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Sharky
Ranger

Post by Sharky »

Day before yesterday I held some pretty cool AR types in my hands. One was the very first prototype of the AR-15 family. It wasn't even stamped. Still had the magic marker writing on it rather than a serial number. I also held the M-16 with the serial number 000000, the first production M-16 produced, as well as many other similar interesting versions of US weapons like the M-14, M-1, and the '03.

Saw a few hundred very cool foreign weapons as well.

Trivia Question: Where was I?
A/3/75, 3rd PLT/Wpns Sqd/ Gun 1//87-89
HHC 4th RTB, Merrills Team/Gulag//89-91
SOCNET Administrator
Mentor to "Buck"

F.I.D.O.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Sharky wrote:Day before yesterday I held some pretty cool AR types in my hands. One was the very first prototype of the AR-15 family. It wasn't even stamped. Still had the magic marker writing on it rather than a serial number. I also held the M-16 with the serial number 000000, the first production M-16 produced, as well as many other similar interesting versions of US weapons like the M-14, M-1, and the '03.

Fuck, I'd like to know........

Early ar-15 nomenclature will make your head spin......I'm not one of those guys who really gives a shit. To me it's like arguing which bullet is better: a 124 grain 9mm or a 147grn.......they both do the job if you put them in someone's melon.
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Ranger Sharky wrote:Trivia Question: Where was I?
US Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Grounds?
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Sharky wrote:Day before yesterday I held some pretty cool AR types in my hands. One was the very first prototype of the AR-15 family. It wasn't even stamped. Still had the magic marker writing on it rather than a serial number. I also held the M-16 with the serial number 000000, the first production M-16 produced, as well as many other similar interesting versions of US weapons like the M-14, M-1, and the '03.

I need a hint...Did you have to speak to St Peter to get in?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Sharky
Ranger

Post by Sharky »

I was priviledged to be a guest of Reed Knight and he took myself and a few friends to see his own personal weapons museum. It is the largest privately-owned collection of firearms in the world. He was Eugene Stoner's best friend, and besides having his own personal collection, he also inherited Stoner's personal collection when he died. To say that it is an amazing collection would be an understatement. There are literally hundreds of weapons hanging on the walls. He has everything from Anti-Aircraft guns from WWII down to an OSS-made "Liberator" pistol. His weapons are still fuctionable and still fired when he feels like it. I will be going back in the near future to see him again and will be sure to take a camera this time.
A/3/75, 3rd PLT/Wpns Sqd/ Gun 1//87-89
HHC 4th RTB, Merrills Team/Gulag//89-91
SOCNET Administrator
Mentor to "Buck"

F.I.D.O.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Sharky wrote:I was priviledged to be a guest of Reed Knight and he took myself and a few friends to see his own personal weapons museum. It is the largest privately-owned collection of firearms in the world. He was Eugene Stoner's best friend, and besides having his own personal collection, he also inherited Stoner's personal collection when he died. To say that it is an amazing collection would be an understatement. There are literally hundreds of weapons hanging on the walls. He has everything from Anti-Aircraft guns from WWII down to an OSS-made "Liberator" pistol. His weapons are still fuctionable and still fired when he feels like it. I will be going back in the near future to see him again and will be sure to take a camera this time.
Very nice-chance of a lifetime.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”