Introduction- Allen

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Teach412
Egg

Introduction- Allen

Post by Teach412 »

Greetings Rangers,

First and foremost, it’s a pleasure to be in the presence of past, present, and future Rangers. Thank you for the wealth of knowledge provided on this site.

My name is Allen and I’m an inner-city teacher and current graduate student. I’ll be finishing with my M.E.d next spring. I’m planning on enlisting as an 09S, Officer candidate. I’m hopeful in branching either Infantry or Signal. After years of lurking these forums, I would like to take advantage of the knowledge provided, resources, and possible mentoring opportunities in regard to OCS, BOLC, Ranger School, RASP II, and life as a commissioned officer (Specifically, as an officer in The 75th Ranger Regiment).

As a kid, I’ve always been interested in the Army. My uncle was an infantry officer (Ranger qualified) and had a profound impact on my character and development. Growing up, he turned me on to the amazing exploits of the Vietnam-era Rangers and LRRP units. I was amazed by the bravery and gallantry that these gentleman possessed. As I got older, I started to develop an interest in military history and strategy that eventually fueled my passion to teach history.

Now at 24, I’m more compelled than ever to start my career in the Army. As cliche as it may sound, I’m looking forward to leading from the front and excelling at my job as a learner, leader, and teacher in the Army.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to become a member on this site. I’m looking forward to learning more about Rangers.

~Allen
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: Introduction- Allen

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Allen.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Teach412
Egg

Post by Teach412 »

Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV and Ranger IntelToad,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I’m looking forward to utilizing the resources and information provided on this website.

~Allen
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Welcome to the site.

Regarding the choice between the Option 40 or OCS, most officers in the 75th Ranger have the proper credentials, many of whom, were prior enlisted former Rangers of the Regiment who were later commissioned, and those officers who have demonstrated themselves to meet the criteria expected after a few years of experience and apply for it later on.

If you want into the 75th Ranger Regiment, I would suggest obtaining the Option 40, do a few years of solid performance on the enlisted side, and then, apply for OCS. Your chances for success doing it this way have a definite advantage and give you a leg up over other officers competing for a very limited amount of slots within the Regiment.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Teach412
Egg

Post by Teach412 »

Ranger centermass,

My apologies for the delayed response, I have been rather focused on my work due to COVID-19. As an inner-city school teacher, myself and my administration have been working hard to make sure our staff and students are protected and take the proper precautions to be safe in the future.

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice regarding the Option 40/RASP route vs OCS. As of recently, I have been reevaluating the reason I would be enlisting. Personally, I would much rather have a guaranteed shot at entering the 75th Ranger Regiment (and have an opportunity to later attend OCS) than enlist as an officer candidate and have a smaller opportunity window to attend RASP II (If at all).

Within the next year, I will focus on finishing my graduate schooling, graduating with my M.E.d, and preparing for enlistment. I will make sure I utilize the information provided on this website.

I look forward to learning from Rangers who have “been there and done that.”

~Chris
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Chris,
Welcome to ArmyRanger.com.

If you have a desire to be a Ranger, going the OPT40 route will give you that opportunity. As you already know, there are a lot of variables when trying to attend RASP II as a LT/CPT. Serving for a few years as enlisted and then going to OCS won't necessarily increase your odds at attending RASP II as an officer but it could improve your standing if you do get the chance at any point in your career.

My time as cadre at OCS is dated but Infantry was highly competitive during my time there. Big discriminators were Military History and physical fitness testing. The latter should be no surprise and if you have a desire to obtain an OPT40 fitness should be a big part of your preparation.

Check back in with us as you can. We will be here.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”