Introduction - Sardar

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Sardar
Egg

Introduction - Sardar

Post by Sardar »

Good evening Rangers

I am Sardar (alias), an 18 year old in high scool. I am here to learn from the knowledge of Rangers to complete my goal of becoming a Ranger in Ranger Regiment. I haven't done the APFT yet but my physical scores consist of:

25+ pull ups
5 mile run in 47 minutes
Less than 6:15 minute 1 mile run
8 minute+ plank
7 minute wall sit
135 lbs bench
35 lbs curl

I am 5"7, 135lbs, and have a bodyfat of 10%.

I have a 95 ASVAB and have done wrestling, water polo, and swimming. Sometimes I run 1.5 miles with my 15lb backpack.
The reason I want to be a Ranger is I have been in the DEP of another branch, but reading the Ranger Creed and the exploits of 75th rangers, along with better access to schools helped me decide to switch to the Army.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - Sardar

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Sardar,

Welcome to the site. Make sure you read the rules of the site before posting again. If you have read the rules, let me know which one you violated in your post.

What was the other branch you originally wanted to serve in? What job do you hope to get? I would research the difference between the APFT and ACFT as you prepare yourself physically for the military. Briefly write back here how the ACFT is different from the APFT. There is a good chance by the time you ship to Basic that will be the physical training test for record (the ACFT).
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Sardar
Egg

Post by Sardar »

Hi Ranger Disernfentation

I read the rules and failed to add an avatar to my profile which has been fixed.

Originally I was in the USMC DEP for an 0300 contract with the intention of volunteering for Reconnaissance. However I did research and found that Rangers are deployed to combat more often with a shorter pipeline. I also did not possess the swim skills I think were required for the Basic Reconnaissance Course and didn't want to be stuck on an MEU for months.

Right now I'm trying to get an 11b Option 40 contract; I'm willing to wait up to 6 months to ship out because I need to prepare more physically and also deal with things such as getting a drivers license. If I can't get an 11x Option 40 contract by the summer I will work and train; last summer I made the mistake of thinking I just needed to work out, which devolved into me having nothing to do and then playing video games all day and not working out.

When I looked at the ACFT vs. APFT it looks like the ACFT will require more anaerobic strength, so I'll be adding deadlifts and other weights to my routine. I'll get a gym membership and I'd like your input as to whether I need more time to train or should I just get into the Army ASAP? I am struggling in academics with a below 2.0 GPA which is affecting my ability to workout.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Ok, perhaps it was a typo as you made this post correctly. Ensure you always capitalize Ranger here as well.

Being able to be patient will be useful when it comes to trying to get an OPT40. Most folks trying to enlist that we hear from are always told there are none available and the recruiter will try to get them to just go as a 11X or as a 11X OPT4 and claim you can volunteer. This is true, but the only way to guarantee your slot at RASP is to have it in your contract. Remember what you are assuming if you don't have an OPT40 and that is the possibility of having to go to any other unit out there first before applying.

School has to be your top priority above all else. You need to graduate high school fully to be competitive for options on your contract. So I would encourage you to stay focused on education and then physical fitness. Adding or becoming familiar with some of the events in the ACFT as well as weight lifting will only make you better overall. Make sure you get a little coaching (ideally free) to make sure your form is ok and you do not hurt yourself.

I don't think you need extra time to train. The Army has a great process of bringing people in at various fitness levels to include a bare minimum and making them ready over the course of however long OSUT is for that job. Do the best you can in the time you have and take the first OPT 40 contract for 11X you can get.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Sardar
Egg

Post by Sardar »

Roger, Ranger Disinfertention.

In case you asked for an APFT I did one yesterday; my scores are:

Push: 82
Sit ups: 90
2mi run: 16:50
Chin ups: 20

I’m obviously dismayed by my run time but that will be improved by joining track and field or running in the morning. I’ll get caught up on school and talk to my recruiter.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Sardar.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”