Introduction - Connor

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

dudeman105
Embryo

Introduction - Connor

Post by dudeman105 »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Connor, I am 16 and live in California. I am currently in high school and fully intend to enlist into the Army after I graduate. More specifically I intend to become a Ranger. My interest in the Rangers came from my father who served with Rangers (I am not sure if he was a Ranger) some 30 years ago. He often retells of how strong the bond is in the Ranger Regiment and how much pride he had serving with Rangers. This inspired me to do research about the Ranger Regiment and seek knowledge on how to prepare for RASP. I was told by Ranger veterans my father knew that the first thing I can do to prepare for potentially becoming a Ranger is to memorize and live out the Ranger Creed in my daily life. I have dedicated myself to memorizing the Ranger Creed and the 28 Rules of Ranging. Another subject that I was told to emphasize is PT. I have made it a part of my routine to go on 2, 3, and 5 mile runs on the weekends. In addition to this, I test myself on the RFPT every 2 months, minus the water survival assessment. I came here to further my research and to learn more about Ranger history and what to expect so I can prepare for these challenges in the near future.

My PT scores are below.

59 for pushups
80 for sit-ups
15 minutes 19 seconds for the 2-mile run
39 minutes 12 seconds for the 5-mile run
5 hours 37 minutes 23 seconds for the 16-mile ruck with 65 lb. plate

It appears my first attempt to submit this was interrupted by some network malfunction on my end. I have rectified the situation and am sorry if this appears twice.

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Connor

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Conner.

The Rangers go back farther than that...there are a lot of books on US Army Rangers history. You may take a look, if you have the time and answer your own question.

Nice to have you here...

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776

dudeman105
Embryo

Post by dudeman105 »

Thank you for the reply Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV, I am excited to be here! I will utilize this forum to its full extent especially the Ranger history section. I am already fascinated by the topics I am finding.

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

dudeman105 wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 7:48 am
Hello Rangers,
Connor, Glad you were able to find ArmyRanger.com. How did you find this website?

This is a smaller community, so if your Dad served around/with/as a Ranger there is a really good chance someone I know or someone here knows them, even if they are "old" even to me... which now I'm old. Either way, your family serving and you wanting to do the same is a huge deal these days in an all volunteer military. Your desire to serve itself speaks a lot about you.

Why did you do a 16 mile ruck march?

Great scores. All you can do from here is research the ACFT and prepare yourself for that. By the time you are able to enlist it will be the Army measurement for fitness.

What are you doing in school outside of learning? Play any sports? What do you hope to do in the military?
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

dudeman105
Embryo

Post by dudeman105 »

Thank you for the reply Ranger Disinfertention,

I had found this site while searching for information about the 3rd Ranger Battalion when I came across this site. I was able to find answers to questions I had by searching this forum. I remember specifically my father saying that he had served with Rangers from the 3rd Battalion at Fort Benning.

I am curious how I would go about seeing if you know someone in specific that served with Rangers. Should I do it through PM's?

As for the 16 mile ruck march, I was invited to go to a nearby hiking trail with some of my colleges who are in the Future Soldier Program to complete a 16 mile ruck. All of them have signed Option 40 contracts. They stated that a 16 mile ruck march was a graded category of the RPFT. I researched this and found information that also stated that a 16 mile ruck march was in fact a graded portion. After seeing this I accepted the offer. I posted that here because it was done recently.

After some research on the ACFT I have taken steps to make sure that I work heavily on my upper body and core strength, as well as endurance. I will have to make time in my schedule for a practice ACFT some time in the coming 3 weeks. I thank you for bringing my attention to the ACFT.

Outside of learning I am a part of a wrestling team and play rugby. Outside of school and sports I go hiking as often as possible. In the military I hope to be the very best that I can be. I fully expect hardships and challenges. When the time comes for me to enlist, I intend to do so under an Option 40 contract. Even though certain individuals around me say that I can never make it as a Ranger and try to dissuade me from trying, I always disregard them. I know no one knows me better than I do. I feel strongly towards teamwork and self-sacrifice. I have family that I have never met before because they gave the ultimate sacrifice for those around them. From family friends who served in the Ranger Regiment, I have been told that "Every Soldier is taught this, but every Ranger lives by this." As stated before I do fully intend to serve as a Ranger.

I have noticed that I forgot to post my pull-ups in my original post, I was able to do 13. I will edit my original post to contain my score.

Thank you again for the reply!

dudeman105
Embryo

Post by dudeman105 »

dudeman105 wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 12:16 am
I have noticed that I forgot to post my pull-ups in my original post, I was able to do 13. I will edit my original post to contain my score.
I was unable to edit my original post, this could be a caused by current network issues. I will see if I can rectify the issues on my end and continue my attempts to edit.

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

dudeman105 wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 12:19 am
dudeman105 wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 12:16 am
I was unable to edit my original post, this could be a caused by current network issues. I will see if I can rectify the issues on my end and continue my attempts to edit.
Being unable to edit posts in the introduction forum is on purpose. Bit of a throwback rule but still sometimes valid for learning attention to detail and making sure people are following the rules.

You're welcome to PM me and see if I know someone.

I'm not aware of a 16 mile ruck being a graded event. 12 was the normal distance for EIB and general fitness measurement and then an annual 20 or so mile ruck was something that used to be done. What did they say is the time standard for 16 miles?

There will always be people, even in the military, who will try to judge you and your abilities to pass courses like RASP. You should learn early to not pay attention to that as you stated. If you give into that you'll end up wondering. Would much rather have friends and co-workers who volunteered and washed out compared to people who tell me they wish they would have followed through.
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here Connor.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987

dudeman105
Embryo

Post by dudeman105 »

Disinfertention wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 5:47 pm
Being unable to edit posts in the introduction forum is on purpose. Bit of a throwback rule but still sometimes valid for learning attention to detail and making sure people are following the rules.
Understood
Disinfertention wrote:
You're welcome to PM me and see if I know someone.
PM sent
Disinfertention wrote:
What did they say is the time standard for 16 miles?
They stated that the passing time is 5 hours and 20 minutes, they were all convinced that this was the case. I have done further research into this and found that they were told this by the recruiter in charge of the DEP. After speaking with him he told me he found an article on military.com. Looking up the link he gave to me I found a score table that claimed "The 16-mile ruck with 65 lb. plate is a GO/NO-GO evolution of the RPFT" I have noticed that this statement often is edited despite the article being older. The proper link is here: https://www.military.com/military-fitne ... ranger-pft

The recruiter told the group that this was for RASP 1 even though the article states it is for Ranger School.

I'll be turning 17 soon and have some things I need to square away before I start the process.

About 5 years ago I sustained a defensive knife wound to my right wrist. The injury severed 2 tendons in my small finger. The injury was repaired and I am at 100% mobility. My biggest concern is having to obtain a waiver or not being able to get a Ranger Physical Qualification. I am going to attempt to attain a doctors report stating that my hand is at 100% mobility.

I have also taken my ASVAB for record. My AFQT score is 95 and my GT score is 122.

Thank you for advice, I'll stick to it!

dudeman105
Embryo

Post by dudeman105 »

IntelToad wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 5:16 pm
Welcome here Connor.
Thank you! I am very glad to be here.

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Connor, I sent you a PM. No doubt you'll see it.

Your GT score over 110 pretty much quals you for anything you want to do in the Army. I'd remind you that the only way to ensure you get to do something is to have it in your contract. I don't recall you saying what job you hope to have... Pick one or a couple and stick to your OPT 40 requirement. It may take some time. And they will tell you they can recruit you out of OSUT. Which is true. But if you have some time to wait why risk it.

You should be able to talk to a recruiter when you are 17 once you have or are on track to graduate. If you know this is what you want I'd start the conversation months out.

Why not go to college and ROTC or even applying to a military academy? Have you looked at those options?
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

dudeman105
Embryo

Post by dudeman105 »

Thank you Ranger Disinfertention for the PM.
I have yet to contact a recruiter but intend to have an 11X Option 40 contact as the sticky on this forum suggests. I have done my research and determined that Infantry would be best for me.

I am also doing my best to cultivate a spirit of excellence in everything I do. I am aware that the place I want to go does not settle for mediocrity, both mentally and physically. As I have been relatively inactive physically, I will make it a point to resume my normal fitness routine.

I have thought about college but feel it wouldn’t be the best for me, at least for now. As for ROTC, I haven’t done much research. My family wishes that I apply to Westpoint, I feel conflicted as I do not want to become an officer. At the moment my priority is my schoolwork. I am trying to rectify an issue with course credits due to a transfer about 2 years ago.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”