Introduction - rosettaprone

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

rosettaprone
Embryo

Introduction - rosettaprone

Post by rosettaprone »

Good evening Rangers and everyone else,

My name is "rosettaprone" and I am 19 years old. Currently I am a sophomore at a community college. When I finish this year I will be transferring to a university for a further two years. My current plan is to major in exercise science, though that may be subject to change. I discovered this forum during the summer and have finally gotten around to making an introduction.
My end goal is to obtain an Option 40 11x contract and serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment. I plan to meet with a recruiter and begin the enlistment process after I have successfully finished out my bachelor's degree (in other words, I won't be joining for another 2.5 years). Until then, I am working on my PT and focusing on academics. I look forward to learning from the members of this forum and am thankful for the opportunity to be a part of it.

PT scores:
Push - 45
Sit - 66
Chin - 14
2 Mile: 12:49
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: Introduction - rosettaprone

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, rosettaprone.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
rosettaprone
Embryo

Post by rosettaprone »

Thank you, Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here. Curious you are finishing the last two years of school then enlisting. Any interest in ROTC or OCS ?
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
rosettaprone
Embryo

Post by rosettaprone »

Thank you, Ranger IntelToad.

As far as commissioning goes, I have considered both of the options you mentioned (ROTC or OCS). However, I have weighed the pros and cons of both of the available paths (enlisted vs. officer) and have come to the conclusion that the role and responsibilities of the enlisted man line up with my interests and goals. Nonetheless, I evaluate that decision often to ensure that I will make the most of my time in.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

rosettaprone wrote: November 13th, 2019, 7:37 pm Thank you, Ranger IntelToad.

As far as commissioning goes, I have considered both of the options you mentioned (ROTC or OCS). However, I have weighed the pros and cons of both of the available paths (enlisted vs. officer) and have come to the conclusion that the role and responsibilities of the enlisted man line up with my interests and goals. Nonetheless, I evaluate that decision often to ensure that I will make the most of my time in.
Welcome to ArmyRanger.com, Rosettaprone. As someone in college you know the value of research. Ensure you do some but please do come to us with questions regarding service in Regiment if you cannot find answers elsewhere. We always appreciate an informed question. Just know many years of questions have been posted and answered here.

It is good you have considered your options already. Warrant will also become available to you after you enlist. What career field as a warrant you can go after depends on your MOS after enlisting but you can check out some of the options of 11X now. Do you already have career plans beyond service in the military and Ranger Regiment?

Do/did you play any sports or physical activities in school? What are you doing to improve your scores? By the time you enlist, the fitness test for the Army will change. Research the new fitness test and wrap that into your answer for improving your scores. Glad to have you on the site.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
rosettaprone
Embryo

Post by rosettaprone »

Thank you, Ranger Disinfertention. I'll be sure to put any questions that I may have through a thorough vetting process to ensure that they have not been asked and answered previously.

For career plans beyond service in the military I have been weighing a few different options but have yet to make a final decision. Right now my main concern is making a definitive decision on my degree (currently I am getting my gen ed classes out of the way) and working from there. As expected, I am researching these things diligently and will strive to make an informed decision on the matter.

For sports, I played rugby for a time in a high school. Other than that, I have not played any other sports but have remained active throughout the years. When I transfer to a university I will be looking to get into a sport or extracurricular activity (thinking something along the lines of MMA, boxing, wrestling) to keep me athletic while I am finishing up school.

As you said, by the time I join the fitness test for the Army will have changed from the APFT to the ACFT (which will be the new test or record). To prepare, I am building up a solid base of strength by running through a linear progression program. Further, I am progressing through a running program that is meant to act as base building for future aerobic and anaerobic work. I anticipate that these two things will continue to bring about the required stimulus for improvement for the next 6 months or so before I plateau and will need to start getting more specific with my training. As such, I will be periodizing my training to improve all aspects of my fitness (prioritizing strength, endurance, and power) before specifically training for the ACFT. To answer your question, I will be implementing at least two "ACFT phases" into my training before I ship. These phases will include training the specific movements conducted within the ACFT with the specific equipment that will be used (Deadlift with Trap bar, Standing Power Throw with 10 lb. medicine ball, strict hand release pushups, sprint drag carry with the two 40 lb. kettlebells and 90 lb. sled, leg tuck, and 2 mile run), as well as various other supplementary movements to develop the necessary strength, power, aerobic/anaerobic endurance, and coordination for the test. My goal is a score of 600.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

rosettaprone wrote: November 15th, 2019, 6:26 pm My goal is a score of 600.
Remind me not to ask you any more fitness questions since you may major in that... Kidding, awesome answer. Very thorough. Obviously you have plenty of time to work on fitness and ideally the Army will have figured out a decent train up program to get you even better once you show up.

Career stuff is pretty flexible. If you currently have the goal to serve for a few years as 11X OPT 40 I think that is a pretty good start. You are clearly thinking this out.

600 is a great goal to have. Last time I read any articles about the new test only one person had maxed it based on the metrics they were using. Will be interesting to see if they keep everything the same or adjust it down based on the number of failures they are seeing. I haven't done it yet so I am not sure how I feel about the test. Either way it was time for a change of some kind.

Those sports sound good if that is what you are into. The requirements for RASP and early life in Regiment generally lines up with higher endurance type athletes. Not a requirement at all but the guys I see crush the physical events over the years were typically into some level of that.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
rosettaprone
Embryo

Post by rosettaprone »

Ranger Disinfertention,

Appreciate the insight. I have heard that most SOF pipelines/careers line up with higher endurance type athletes, and I'll definitely keep that in mind. Even if I choose an extracurricular that is more focused on power or strength, I will still ensure that I am training with endurance at the forefront of my goals.

From a casual look at other posts, I've seen that others will periodically come back to their introduction posts to "check in" and let others know where they are with their training/enlistment process. I'll follow suit and keep you updated. Until then, I will be catching myself up on all of the information posted previously on the site and on the forum.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Looking forward to hearing from you as you progress... Try not to vanish on us if you can help it. It happens too often around here :(
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”