Introduction - Robert

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - Robert

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Robert, glad to hear from you.

It is definitely not easy to get a specific job with OPT 40. But you aren't on this website or have a desire to serve as a Ranger because it is easy. I don't have to tell you this, but you and your brother simply stick to what you want and it will work out. Quota is a real thing in the Army, especially with them increasing the total number of recruits they want this year. That's not your problem at all though.

FST sounds interesting. I don't believe I have heard anyone talk about it before. Let me know how it goes.

I have heard good things about Marty's book but I haven't read it. It's on our list of recommended reading that we keep in our Mentoring room along with many other great books from GWOT writers and older.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Roger Ranger Disinfertention, we will stick to our guns.

Unfortunatly the Recruiter contacted my brother yesterday and informed us that they will be in Dover today so FST is cancelled. We are both looking forward to next weeks FST!

Talking to the Recruiter was a big step towards achieving a life long goal of joining the Army. I'm glad that we started talking to the Recruiters sooner rather than later. We will definitely keep you Rangers updated on our progress regarding the Recruitment process so that anyone following our threads can have some insight on what to expect when pursuing a contract.

Ranger Disinfertention, I really enjoyed reading Violence of Action. The next book I plan on reading is "Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger" I've heard very good things about this book and I had previously planned to read Sua Sponte first but I was recommended reading Violence of Action beforehand. I'm glad I did too. I personally feel like I have a better understanding of the 75th Ranger Regiment and the their mission and the history of Regiment during the GWOT.

I am excited to start reading Sua Sponte!
11X
Ship Date: 20200128

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Rangers,

This update is long overdue on the site.

A lot has changed in the last year since my previous update. Currently my brother and I are waiting until the new fiscal year in October to get contracted. Our braces will be coming off in October or sooner, unfortunately the exact time is not set in stone making it difficult to talk with recruiters this past year. As of right now, the goal is to continue to become as fit as possible leading up to October when we will get contracted and hopefully ship out as soon as possible. This means there will be a very short period of time between getting contracted and shipping out.

In the last year, I've completed my Eagle Scout as well as transferred High Schools and gradated High School. After working throughout my Junior year of high school as well as full time the summer leading up to my senior year of High School I was fortunate enough to be given a taste of what it is like to work full time for a company, washing and maintaining construction equipment and more. They even offered to keep me after I graduated. However, I soon came to the realization that although it was great to work for this company and even though I had great friends as co workers, I wanted to continue to pursue the Military. Further solidifying my ambitions to join the Army to become a Ranger.

For the last 4 years of my High School career I had been trying to transfer to Delaware Military Academy, the school where my brother attended at the time. Every summer I would send an email to the commandant about admission. Early in September of my senior year, I was at work and received a phone call asking if I wanted to come down to DMA for an interview. I reluctantly accepted knowing I would have to leave my trade school and my work. I started out my Senior year at Delaware Military Academy and eventually graduated from there with my brother in early June.
From this I learned an important lesson, "Persistence Pays Off".

This past year, I have been living by the Ranger Creed to the best of my ability. I've spent quite a bit of my free time reading and learning as much about Ranger knowledge as I could.
This past year I've read..
"Sua Sponte" by Dick Couch
"Of Thier Own Accord" by Gary Dolan,
"The Warrior Ethos" by Steven Pressfield,
"Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield which has been my favorite so far,
"Shadow Warriors History of the 75th Ranger Regiment" by Mir Bahmanyar,
"Two Wars" by Nate Self,
"Lest We Forget" By Leo Jenkins,
"First Train out of Denver" by Leo Jenkins,
"Violence of Action" by Book by Charles Faint, Leo Jenkins, and Marty Skovlund Jr.

I'm sure I've left out a few however from each book that I have been able to read I've had takeaways, learning from characters stories and hardships and moments of leadership and resilience. I still have quite a few books to read too over the summer, next up is "Charlie Rangers" by Don Ericson and John L. Rotundo. I'm excited to continue to learn about the history of Rangering and the Rangers.

This past year, I've also taken up an interest in rappelling, and scuba diving! Both are hobbies I hope to continue throughout my career in the Army.

Lastly, over the past year I've matured and grown as a person quite a bit, I've had many learning experiences and life lessons that I'll carry with me for the rest of my life. I've had the unique experience of being able to follow some of the other members of this site throughout the end of their high school careers and the beginning of their military careers, many have gone on to become Rangers. No doubt that they have all helped me grow as I watched them progress through the pipeline to where they are today.
For that and for this website which is truly a goldmine of information and experience I am thankful.

- Rob
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Rangers,

Summer has come and gone so fast. There was a lot of things I wanted to do this summer some of which I accomplished and others I wish I had more time to pursue. I'm excited to inform you all that my braces will be coming off October 11th. I'll be contracted as soon as I possibly can and then shipping hopefully straight from MEPs. I've been keeping up with my PT as well as continuing to learn as much Ranger knowledge as I can. I look forward to continuing to update you all on my progress.

- Rob
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

It's great news. When will you get back to talking to a Recruiter since the last one left you all hanging a bit? Same one? Or a new one?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Ranger Disinfertention,

I plan on talking with my recruiter once I get my braces off, maybe a little beforehand so that we can give them a heads up when we'll be dropping in. I'll hopefully be using the same recruiter but if things do not go so well I won't hesitate to jump ship to the town over and hit up a different office.

- Rob
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Good plan, Rob. As always, try to keep checking in here when you can. As I try to tell you all, it is your career. Don't worry about what the recruiters think or feel. They will get over it.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Roger Ranger Disinfertention.
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Rangers,

Since my last update my braces have come off and I have started talking with recruiters.

Tomorrow I head to MEPs for my physical screening and if all goes to plan I'll be swearing in on Thursday with an 11X Opt 40 contract.
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

C0LDY wrote: November 12th, 2019, 3:47 pm Rangers,

Since my last update my braces have come off and I have started talking with recruiters.

Tomorrow I head to MEPs for my physical screening and if all goes to plan I'll be swearing in on Thursday with an 11X Opt 40 contract.
Thursday is tomorrow now! Looking forward to hearing back from you. Good luck to you.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Rangers,

My MEP's visit went great up until the last part. I passed everything but the vision test. I scored a 20/15 in my left eye and a 20/50 in my right eye which the proctor of the exam wrote down as non correctable. This is problem because I needed 20/40 in order to pass the airborne physical. I was sitting in the chair with the lady who was signing off the finished packets when she discovered this problem, I'm disappointed because I was so close to signing my contract. Unfortunately, I believe things are going to get more complicated from here on out, however, only time will tell.

I asked if I could retake the vision test because my glasses prescription is 20/40 but the proctor flat out said no. I wasn't surprised with his answer because he was cussing about how he hates his fucking job the whole time he was doing the exam. I was able to get my paperwork regarding my eyes faxed to the MEPs station from my eye doctor but on my paperwork it mentioned that I have 'strabismus amblyopia' which means 'cross eyed' they hadn't caught this because I hadn't disclosed this to them. They saw this and began going on how I am DQ'd from going Airborne because of this condition. My condition is minor I'd go as far to say that it is non existent.

As of right now I am scheduled to head back to MEP's on Monday for a consultation at Walter Reed Medical Center. I spoke with the Captain and Sergeant major at the MEPs station and they are going to expedite my paperwork in order to get me shipped as soon as possible. To say I am feeling crushed is an understatement. I am trying to stare down adversity but I cannot help but feel like I am having my opportunity to become a Ranger taken away from me before I even get to prove myself at selection, let alone join the Army. Come Monday I will do my best to pass the eye exam.

In the event I fail my eye exam I may be left only with the option of enlisting 11X/11B and volunteering for RASP during Basic or Infantry School.

Some information others can take away from my experience is this: If you are Red / Green color deficient you CAN pass the Airborne Physical and get an Option 40. I personally failed the PiP test but at the end of your eye examination they will present you with a booklet with just pages of Red, Green, and Black. This of course I was able to pass, thus passing the color vision portion of the Airborne Physical despite being color deficient.
Additionally, MEP's isn't as terrible as some make it out to be, was it boring at times? Yes, but how can you hate your experience when you've waited and anticipated it for so long?

I am hoping my next update will bring good news.
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

C0LDY wrote: November 15th, 2019, 9:29 pm I am hoping my next update will bring good news.
Robert, I spoke to you directly about this. Update us when you can.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Rangers,

Since my last update I have not heard anything from my recruiters. I called up the recruiting station and they had not heard anything from MEPs either. I hope to possibly hear back from the office at the soonest possibly early December, but most likely I will be headed back to MEPs come January. It seems MEPs is starting to close down for the Holidays.

I'll make sure to post an update when I hear back from my recruiting station as well as when I am scheduled to head back to MEPs.

Although, a little late I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Unfortunately this is the worst time of year to get any progress on administrative items. Probably your best thought is to be prepared to wait until after the new year for news or movement on much of this...
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Rangers,

I have heard back from my recruiters and will be headed back to MEPs December 10th for my consultation.

Since my first visit to MEPs I reached out to the 75th Ranger Regiment recruiting and asked them a few questions regarding my situation.
Fortunately since then I have heard back from them with good news. My condition with my eye sight does not disqualify me from volunteering for RASP. I was assured I will still be able to volunteer as well as receive all Option 40 incentives, however, it does disqualify me from getting contracted with an Option 40. This was good news because in the event that I do fail my consultation (likely depending on how strict the examiner is) then I will be deemed medically unfit to enlist with an Option 40, as well as Option 4. Leaving me with my only other option -- to sign 11B and Volunteer during Basic/OSUT.

I had already planned on volunteering regardless if I was deemed medically unfit but hearing it from a 75th Recruiter and having the extra reassurance and security was great!

I look forward to posting my next update come December 10th.
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”