Introduction-Alek

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

PracticeAllstar
Embryo

Introduction-Alek

Post by PracticeAllstar »

Hello everyone, my name is Alek and I am 29 years old from upstate New York. I am currently in Paramedic School but being an Army Ranger has always been my dream. However during my college years I broke my back which required surgery and hardware so I was denied 3 times by the Army. I was recently contacted by a recruiter saying med waivers are passing much easier now and I have decided to give it one last shot.

I have a mountain of paperwork that needs to be collected from a surgeon who is no longer practicing in my area so I have my work cut out for me. Once I get a GO/No Go about my medical issue I will update you all as to what my next 25m target is.

Finally I would just like to thank everyone who has contributed to this site, as I have been a lurker for many years and have learned a lot, especially when it comes to the recruiting process and the ever elusive option 40.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: Introduction-Alek

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Alek...we look forward to hearing your update.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

PracticeAllstar wrote: March 15th, 2019, 10:33 am Hello everyone, my name is Alek
Welcome to ArmyRanger.com Alek. If you want to become a member of the 75th, this is the best place to be.

What are your goals for service? Is it service? Or service in the 75th? I'd like you to tell us that so we can better talk to you about your issues and what you want to do. I have no idea how a med waiver like yours would look for initial jump status but I'd bet it is poor.

What is your degree in? Have you considered being an officer? What is it that you hope to do in the military?

What have you been doing since you graduated? Assuming you did?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Drock
Ranger

Post by Drock »

Welcome Alek!
Always glad to see the lurkers get around to make an account.

It seems like you’ve been very successful and deciding to try yet another time to join must mean your passionate about it, I hope the best for you with getting that waiver approved.

I look forward to following your progress
C co 2-75
PracticeAllstar
Embryo

Ranger Disinfertention,

My goal is to get an option 40 contract, I was originally just planning on 11x but I read some things about 13F and have been trying to research their role and responsibilities in Regiment.

My med waiver is for a back surgery I had in 2011 which is why in 2014 no recruiter would even give me a shot. However the guy I am talking to now said he just got a waiver for a guy with a metal rod in each leg and it depends on the doctor that day.

My degree is in political science/pre-law and I was never really interested in the officer route due to the small amount of time you spend actually doing your job. Since I have graduated I have worked a couple jobs, got my EMT-Basic which I enjoyed and I am now currently in Paramedic school looking at the end goal of being a Tactical Medic if the Army does not pan out.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Alek, waivers are weird. As soon as I think I figured it out with how the waivers generally work someone comes in with a whacko story on what they got approved to do.

Do you have any idea on the timeline of the waiver process once you do get all your paperwork together? Guessing you can't just get evaluated by a current doctor and need original stuff?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
PracticeAllstar
Embryo

Rangers,

Sorry about the delay in response. I wanted to finish up Paramedic classes and do some more research on my waiver. I have met with a recruiter and I am currently gathering all the documentation required to apply for a medical waiver. This could be a rather long process so I am going to start getting myself into shape while I have the time. Tomorrow I start working with a former rescue swimmer/physical trainer which I will probably do 5-6 times a week. I look forward to getting back into shape and hopefully in a month I should have all my necessary paperwork collected.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Alek,
Ask you recruiter if your medical waiver clears you to goto Jump School. I know a lot has changed since I was in, but I want you to have clear sailing.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
PracticeAllstar
Embryo

Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV,

We spoke about waiver and I was told what exactly my doctor needs to say in order to be cleared to get the airborne physical at MEPs. Im hoping with the doctors approval the waiver will pass. My father also just sold his house to two O-6's, one of which is in charge of all the medical personnel in the United States Army. I may be asking her if she could make a phone call to help my waiver get through but I have not asked yet. Would this be a bad idea? I figured it wouldn't hurt. Thanks for your time Rangers, and I will be posting my APFT times as well as the new combat fitness test time. I am very out of shape at the moment so my numbers may look weak but I will be working my ass off to make sure I am well suited by the time I leave for BCT.
PracticeAllstar
Embryo

Ranger Disinfertention,

The medical records that I need for the waiver have been ordered from the Medical Records department at the hospital where the surgery took place. The guy who did my surgery is no longer in the area so I am going to a different Orthopedic Surgeon and I will get a new MRI/Xray that he will look at and determine whether or not I am cleared for duty (which I will be). He will write me a clearance letter which will be sent to MEPs with all the surgical documents and hopefully with some luck and maybe a favor from the people who bought my dads house it will be approved. My recruiter told me it would take no more than a month once all the paperwork is submitted. The only downside is the ortho can't see me until August 30 but that gives me extra time to get in shape because I need it.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Alek,

I don't think it is wrong for you to ask but I would use common sense and have some tact when doing it. Tell them you plan to join the Army and that you need a medical waiver and that you'd value their input or advice. Officers love it when they have the ideas but they don't always enjoy being told what to do ;). I'm half kidding.

Glad you are checking back in with us. Sounds like it's been a long several months already. Don't make excuses for bad scores before you post them. The key to getting back in shape or being fit is starting somewhere and keeping a record. That's why we ask for you all to post an APFT - to help you keep track and show progress and talk about your plans to make goals.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
PracticeAllstar
Embryo

Rangers,

I have completed all my doctor appointments and take my asvab next week. My surgeon wrote me a clearance letter stating I was cleared for high impact physical activities with no restriction. My recruiter said it would be a month at most to hear about my waiver. I continue to workout and am increasing the duration each week. Still worried about the run, but I know to fix that I just need to run more.

Ranger Disinfertention,

I am curious about the 13f option and was wondering if I could ask you some questions through PM.

Doing 25+1
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

PracticeAllstar wrote: August 18th, 2019, 1:22 pm
I am curious about the 13f option and was wondering if I could ask you some questions through PM.

Doing 25+1
Send away.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Alek, outstanding news on the surgeon’s letter... keeps us posted on what your recruiter says about your waiver.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
PracticeAllstar
Embryo

Disinfertention wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 6:41 pm
PracticeAllstar wrote: August 18th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Doing 25+1
Send away.
PM sent

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”