Introduction - Matthew

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Matthew19
Embryo

Re: Introduction - Matthew

Post by Matthew19 »

Rangers, It's time for a sitrep that includes more than just running.

First off, CAP is going well. Recently boarded for my Mitchell award and got recommended for promotion. Just waiting on my unit commander to approve or deny it.

Haven't talked to a recruiter again after collecting the required medical paperwork since my mom has told me she isn't signing anything till I'm 18. To my knowledge, at 18 I don't need parental consent but I don't think telling her that would change her mind at this point lol. Worst comes to worst, I'll have to wait till January 2020 to start the process which is completely fine. I still need to graduate HS anyways.

PT wise, I ran a 16:15 two mile today. It's amazing what happens when you don't quit during a run lol. Pushups and situps haven't changed much. Carpenter said he'll give me a workout plan for that so we'll see where that goes. (Thanks Carpenter)! I've started sparring at TKD now which is a steep learning curve but it's been good training.

School wise, I've got my schedule locked down for the last 2 semesters and the dual enrollment office has checked everything over to confirm that I will be graduating with my AA degree come December. I'm so close I can taste graduation.

All in all, life is great right now. I'm seeing definite improvements in myself that, even though aren't at my end goal, are still baby steps in getting me to where I want to be.

Feeling awesome right now,
Matthew
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Thanks for checking in, Matthew.

Trust your mother's decision to not sign anything. Both my parents were willing to sign paperwork to let me enlist and ship before 18. I wouldn't hide that information from your mother. Just to have a conversation with her so she knows you are serious about it. Not to change her mind but just so she gets used to the idea of what you want to do. All that being said, I am a stranger on the internet and you do not have to take my advice. I have no idea of your situation outside what I have read. After being gone from home since I was 17 I think back on how it could have not gone well.

Keep up the good work on PT. Glad you are getting some advice from others here. January will be here fast so keep trying to improve and ready yourself.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Roger Ranger Disinfertention.

I think her saying that stems from the fact that she worries about me a lot. Not that I do anything too bad but we all know that mothers worry about their sons until the ends of time. On one hand, I've been wanting to do this for years now and have expressed this to her but on the other hand, like any good mother, I know she's going to worry about me no matter what I end up doing because that's just how she is. I don't think there's really anything wrong with that either its just motherly instinct. Either way, I go talk to her again.

Just a quick side note, my dad walked in while I was typing this asking what I was doing. After explaining everything all he said was,"I'm impressed" so thanks y'all for helping me get my dad's approval :D

Thanks for the mentoring (please keep it coming),
Matthew
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Initiative is important. Anyone who works for a living at any level at all can appreciate that. I don't chase people to help them but I try to be here for anyone who will meet me half way.

Looks like it has been a month or so since you have done an APFT. I'd recommend you do one and see where you are at especially on push ups/sit ups/chin ups. I realize you said they haven't changed much but tracking even small progress can be a good motivator.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Ranger Disinfertention,

I have not been able to complete the full APFT yet due to me not making the proper time for it. I did attempt one last Thursday (July 3rd) and scored the following:

PU-40
SU-65
CU-8

however it was about noon when I attempted the run and come to find out trying to run 2 miles in what felt like a 100* day at Sea World doesn't get you very far... Now I know for next time. I will try to do it again tomorrow night once I get back from class so we'll see how that goes.

I hope you enjoyed your 4th of July weekend,
Matthew
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Watched fireworks off our deck, wasn't bad. How about you?

Good scores. I always have a better time talking to someone who posts realistic scores. Keep working on your numbers. Try to do an APFT ever 2-3 weeks or once a month generally. Track your progress to see how you need to work. That part is very important.

Did you discuss enlisting with your parents at all? Don't be afraid to show them this website with your discussion. It might help...
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Ranger Disinfertention,

I have conducted a full PT test today and I'm very happy with the results as I've just broken another milestone. I noticed how close I was to a 180 score from the test last Thursday so I stuck it out for a couple more reps and shaved off a couple seconds from my run and bam!
PU- 42 (60 pts)
SU- 66 (81 pts)
Run- 15:48 (61 pts)

A final score of 202. I mean I know its not the best but given how I couldn't even get a 150 a couple of months ago, I think this is a step in the right direction. 98 more points to go! Next milestone I'm looking at is breaking the 240 mark which I want to complete by September 7th (60 days from today).

As for my parents, my dad is on board with this 100%. I haven't talked with my mom about this recently but seeing as she just got home, I think I'm going to sit her down and talk to her about this and introduce her to the site.

Getting closer with every step,
Matthew
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Matthew,

Awesome update. By passing an APFT prior to showing up to basic I'd toss a random number out there and say you are in a better spot compared to 60% of the other folks enlisting. Continue to work on your fitness. The only other thing I would strongly encourage to look into is rucking. That is one that many people are not used to...

If your mother isn't super receptive, it's ok. She just wants what's best for you. Mine wasn't overly joyed when I went through with enlisting but over the years she's noticed it's probably about the best thing I could have done at the time.

Good luck!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Ranger Disinfertention,

Good suggestion. I've now got Jeff Nichols' 6 week programs from Carpenter that I'm doing. I'm unaware if alternating rucking 3 times a week and doing springs 3 time a week will be more harm than good from overuse so I'll have to do some research.

In regards to my mom's sanity, I talked to her after my last post and she was very thankful for your suggestion. We talked about some statistics and I answered the questions she had. She said that she'll still worry about me but at least it helped a bit.

Congrats on 2500 posts,
Matthew
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Rangers,

Quick update so I don't sound like a madman. I quickly found out that doing that high a volume of leg workouts is a recipe for disaster given my current level of fitness. The website I was looking at suggested I ruck 2 a week max and recommended 1 time a week instead. However I could not find anything that combined rucking, sprinting, and long distance running That being said I'm left with a couple options in regards to distance.

-Ruck 1x, Sprints 3x, distance 2x
-Ruck 1x, Sprints 3x alternating with distance 1x sprints 3x
-Other combinations I have yet to think of

Basically what I mean to ask is, does anyone have any advice they could pass on about the subject?
I would really like to use my training time as efficiently as possible but still strike a balance with rest days as to not overexert myself. I just don't really know how to do that right now.

If only there were no such thing as muscle failure,
Matthew
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Disinfertention wrote: May 29th, 2019, 2:07 pm
Matthew19 wrote: May 26th, 2019, 7:41 pm Rangers,

Not much to update right now other than I broke the 20 minute barrier for my 2 mile time. 18:16 was my time.

Figured I should check in,
-Matthew
Great one to break. Keep following a program and you'll steadily see improvements.
Great job, keep charge hard!

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV,

Thanks and will do!

-Matthew
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Matthew19 wrote: July 12th, 2019, 7:12 pm
-Ruck 1x, Sprints 3x, distance 2x
-Ruck 1x, Sprints 3x alternating with distance 1x sprints 3x
-Other combinations I have yet to think of
At your level, you are wise to be careful with how much training you are doing. Do a ruck when you are ready, go for a couple miles and see how you feel. You have no reason to overdo anything at this point. I'd say even wait longer than a week on your first one, pending how you feel. But if you do 2-4 miles on your first one and lean into it slowly you should be able to do once a week.

Listen to your body. You're not at the point where you need to "gut" through stuff and possibly hurt yourself. You need to increase your physcial stamina and strength and understand how these events feel so you're mental toughness can be there for you when you DO need to push yourself outside your comfort level.

So, rucking once a week. For sure. Sprints 2-3 times a week is fine just make sure you do a sprint day, interval day, pace day. You don't have to do just flat out sprints all the time to improve.

Easy on the 2x distance days a week. Most running programs I have followed only have 1 "long" day a week. So, keep it relative to yourself.

Let me know how it goes!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Rangers,

I'm back for a much needed update. I've taken another PT test, advanced in my schooling, and have an update on the recruitment process.

PT scores from 10 September 2019
PU- 51 (72) up from 42
SU- 88 (100) up from 66
Run -15:27 (66) down from 15:48
Total= 238 (2 points shy from my goal of 240)
Even though I did not meet my goal, I believe I can still call this a success. However, my run score needs drastic improvement. I was unable to do the run workout that Carpenter sent me because my run tracker does not do distances that small. (the workout does 100-300m sprints which I am unable to track). I'm still trying to find a work around.

School is going great. I'm in my last semester and I'm confident I can make this an "A" semester. Nothing extremely good or bad to report.

As for starting the recruitment process, I will not be able to start until my birthday in January. I'm not too worried though. The Army isn't going anywhere. :D

All is well,
Matthew
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Matthew19 wrote: September 10th, 2019, 5:40 pm
Even though I did not meet my goal, I believe I can still call this a success. However, my run score needs drastic improvement. I was unable to do the run workout that Carpenter sent me because my run tracker does not do distances that small. (the workout does 100-300m sprints which I am unable to track). I'm still trying to find a work around.
Glad you are checking in, Matthew. That is awesome progression on your APFT. Why do you think you need a app to help you track those distances? You can either go to a track or pace it out yourself. Google Maps/Earth has a measurement tool as well. You can measure your street outside to get a general idea of where 100-300 meters is at and go from there.

School should be easy for someone like yourself and many others on the site. Keep at it and don't be afraid to redefine your goals, especially with fitness. You've got several months until you even begin the process. I'm sure you could get a 270 with at least 90 in each event before you talk to a recruiter!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”