Introduction- Josiah

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

IntelToad
Ranger

Re: Introduction- Josiah

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome back Josiah. Congratulations on getting into the college of your choice. I don't think there is any commitment the first year of ROTC, so why not try it out ?
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
americanmax
Embryo

Post by americanmax »

Thank you, Ranger Disinfertention! I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for the input on ROTC, Ranger Disinfertention and Ranger IntelToad! PHC does not have an ROTC program, and due to insufficient interest in ROTC from PHC students, they have not worked out an agreement with any nearby schools for ROTC enrollment. I can't say that I'm disappointed. Not doing ROTC will give me more time to study and focus on my degree, and enlisting is the shortest path to the regiment. So my plan for the next four years is to study hard and train hard with the goal of getting an 11X opt 40 in 2023. Until closer to then, I'll just keep my eyes open open on here and absorb as much of the info on here as possible.

And one more thing: thank you for the advise that you guys give out on this website. It has really helped me to solidify my goals and stay on track as I move forward.
americanmax
Embryo

Post by americanmax »

Thank you, Ranger Disinfertention! I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for the input on ROTC, Ranger Disinfertention and Ranger IntelToad! PHC does not have an ROTC program, and due to insufficient interest in ROTC from PHC students, they have not worked out an agreement with any nearby schools for ROTC enrollment. I can't say that I'm disappointed. Not doing ROTC will give me more time to study and focus on my degree, and enlisting is the shortest path to the regiment. So my plan for the next four years is to study hard and train hard with the goal of getting an 11X opt 40 in 2023. Until closer to then, I'll just keep my eyes open open on here and absorb as much of the info on here as possible.

And one more thing: thank you for the advise that you guys give out on this website. It has really helped me to solidify my goals and stay on track as I move forward.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

americanmax wrote: March 13th, 2019, 8:17 pm Until closer to then, I'll just keep my eyes open open on here and absorb as much of the info on here as possible.
Sounds like a great plan. Try to check in here and there and let us know how things are progressing. 8)
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
americanmax
Embryo

Post by americanmax »

Roger that, Ranger Disinfertention!
americanmax
Embryo

Post by americanmax »

Hello Rangers,

I know its been awhile since I've updated on here. I've been quite busy, as I'll explain below. I graduated from high school this spring. I have decided to delay college one semester because I've decided to go through a Texas based program called ALERT (Air Land Emergency Resource Team), which takes a very military based approach to their training. During the first phase of ALERT training, which began in mid May, we did alot of rucking and land nav exercises, as well as some survival training and wilderness first aid. Our ruck training ended with a 24 hour hike in the Ozarks, during which we had 24 hours to hike 56 miles with a 50lb ruck. We also had several night land nav exercises which were immensely useful. Overall, the first phase was very intense and practical. I am going back to ALERT mid July for rescue diver training, basic firefighting, and tech rescue. My training at ALERT will run into early October, meaning that I won't be able to officially start college until spring 2020.
americanmax
Embryo

Post by americanmax »

Hello Rangers,

Another update:
Still on the path. College will be starting in a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to it! I've been working full time since getting back from ALERT in early October and staying in shape. Speaking of that, has anyone here done any Go-Ruck events? I'm looking at possibly a Go-Ruck Heavy in the next few months, seems like it would be a great motivation to train up and meet some really neat people.

As far as reading up on Ranger history, I just finished Shadow Warriors for the 2nd time. A really interesting read!
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

americanmax wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 9:11 pm Hello Rangers,

Another update:
Still on the path. College will be starting in a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to it! I've been working full time since getting back from ALERT in early October and staying in shape. Speaking of that, has anyone here done any Go-Ruck events? I'm looking at possibly a Go-Ruck Heavy in the next few months, seems like it would be a great motivation to train up and meet some really neat people.

As far as reading up on Ranger history, I just finished Shadow Warriors for the 2nd time. A really interesting read!
Josiah, really glad you checked back in. I missed your post this summer for some reason... sorry about that.

I have heard of Go-Ruck but I have not heard of many folks doing it. It sounds like a really cool thing to do.

Please check in on the discord server when you see fit... Obviously I am glad you check in here but I see you are on that with us as well.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
americanmax
Embryo

Post by americanmax »

Thank you Ranger DIsinfertention, will do!
americanmax
Embryo

Post by americanmax »

Hello Rangers,

Checking in again.

Online summer classes and full time work have provided excellent opportunities to practice time management. I haven't checked in on the Discord in a few weeks, but I will soon. I go on campus in 3 weeks. Six semesters to go...

My summer fitness goal is to ace the ACFT before going on campus. So far, I've scored a 100 or more in every event except HRP (52) and deadlift (340 current 1RM, 300x3 is my current 3RM.) Looking forward to 600+. I've also started to incorporate land nav into the weekend rucks

Due to heavy school load and work, haven't had as much free time to read as I would like. However, I just finished Leadership Strategy and Tactics by Jocko Willink and it was well worth it. Probably the most impactful book I've read this year.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Reading some of the more practical books I think may be more exciting and keep your attention. Keep working on the fitness, it's always a challenge. Glad you've checked in.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”