Introduction--VetJedi

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
VetJedi
US Army Veteran

Introduction--VetJedi

Post by VetJedi »

Good afternoon Rangers and other members.
I joined hoping to get information about mentors and some general info for my son while he was at pre-RASP. I had just run across your site, so thinking he would spend a few weeks in pre-RASP I had hoped to have time to accomplish this. He informed me yesterday that he will be starting in Class 10-18, so I guess time's up for me to get any info to him.
Still, I plan to let him know about the site (if he doesn't already), and I will probably stick around a while during his training at the least.
About me: I joined ARNG before graduating high school and shipped to boot right after graduation. At the time, I had the plan of using NG time to pay for college then enter active with a commission. Came back from IET and immediately deployed to SA for Operation Desert Shield with HHD 217th Maint BN. I came back home and decided that I would transfer to active duty and begin an enlisted career. Upon returning to MEPS, I found out that I could no longer join due to medical reasons. I was given a choice on whether to take a medical discharge or not.I turned down the medical and accepted an honorable discharge in 1992.
My grandfather is mine and my son's hero. He is a retired LTC that served in Korea and Vietnam. He worked his way up through the ranks starting as a PVT in the 45th IN Div. He attended Ranger School in the early 50s when the Ranger Department was in it's early stages.

Thank you for all you Rangers do through this site but especially what you do in the world. You get nothing but respect from me.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Introduction--VetJedi

Post by centermass »

Thank you for your service and welcome to the site.

If your son has secured an Option 40 in his contract, I would more than encourage him to join the site, sooner, rather than later, seeing how he's on an awfully short fuze before shipping out..

While it's admirable you wanting to get info for your son, it's even better if he gets it here firsthand.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

Good luck to your son. Are you an Okie?
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
VetJedi
US Army Veteran

Post by VetJedi »

Thank you Ranger centermass.
My son started RASP on Monday the 10th, so I was a bit late to do him any good before starting. If he had had more time, I definitely would have referred him directly to the site instead of giving the appearance of the parent doing the legwork for their kid; that is not the kind of boy I raised. Although I came across the site just before he began RASP, I still wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I did mention your site to him, and he said he would take a look when things slow down a little. As it was, he was prepping for Monday and likely wouldn't have time to join before starting. I didn't get a chance to talk to him until late Friday. Like I said, I didn't com across the site until too late in the game to help him before beginning. We both had expected at least 2-3 weeks in pre-RASP, so we were surprised when he started so soon. He didn't sign on with an Option 40 (no slots available for his MOS- 68W). They offered him RASP during AIT.
Boudicca, I will always be an Okie even if I haven't lived there in a decades lol.

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”