Introduction - Robert

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

IntelToad
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Robert

Post by IntelToad »

"The exercises had almost no breaks in between, my brother was able to complete all the exercises I unfortunatly started to feel sick and my vision started fading. To be completely honest I felt like a wuss and I didn't want it to seem like I was bitching out on the exercises but I was constantly feeling like I was going to throw up and pass out."

Okay kid, slow down, you're not a wuss.

First of all, you're 16 years old, not a DEP and just trying to see if the military might be good for you. There is no reason in hell you should be doing PT at this point to where you are feeling like you are losing your vision or feeling like you are going to pass out. You may have an underlying medical condition, or the person leading these drills may be borderline retarded.

Second, you said your "commander" was in 1/75 in Panama. If you could nicely ask him what company and platoon and forward that to us, along with a last name that would be appreciated. Send me a PM when you get that information.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Roger Ranger IntelToad,

I hope I didn't make out my division Commander to be a bad guy or anything of that sort. I am very positive I do not have any underlying medical condition and am very healthy. I later chalked up the dizziness and flashy vision to not hydrating correctly, I was actually encouraged by him to take a break and not push myself to hard to complete the exercises.
The workouts were difficult yes, and I am positive I would have been able to complete them if I had been better conditioned and had better hydrated throughout the day.
I do not like the feeling of defeat and have the somewhat unfortunate personality trait of stopping at short of nothing to complete a task at hand.

Rangers, I will continue to keep you posted on our progress.
11X
Ship Date: 20200128

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Okay, drive on and be careful out there.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Roger Ranger IntelToad.
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Robert, it has been more than a month since you have posted on the site. Please update us on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Rangers,

It has been some time since I have posted however I ensure you that my brother and I have been keeping up on our PT. I'm posting to keep you Rangers aware that we have not given up and continue to research information and gain knowledge.

I do have some questions regarding a newfound interest.
I have looked over armyranger.com and unfortunately some of the threads on the forums that I have interest in viewing are locked for me, I assume this is because I'm not a DEP.

My questions are

-What is the role of 13F's in Regiment as far as doing their jobs, are they only assigned to 3rd Battalion since 1st and 2nd have JTAC's assigned to them (this may be inaccurate) or do all 3 battalions in Regiment have JTAC's assigned to them and work alongside 13F's?

-What is the daily life of a 13F like in Regiment and what career options and opportunities do they have once in Regiment?

-Where are 13F's on the battlefield, to my understanding they are in the front but are not exactly door kickers either.

Thank you in advance.

Rangers, regarding PT my brother and I have been working on strength building exercises (mostly calisthenics as well as lifting exercises to help gain mass) we also purchased a climbing rope and have been working on rope climbs using only upper body strength. I'll be receiving a molle ii rucksack soon and can't wait to start rucking with it (or maybe scrapping it and modifying an Alice pack using the parts).

I'll continue to keep you Rangers updated our progress.
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Roger Ranger Jim, I apologize for the delay.

Ironically enough I was typing up an update and was looking through my introduction thread when I saw you had replied.

There is no excuse for such a long delay in updates and will be pushing out 100 +1 for the Ranger in the sky.
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

C0LDY wrote: December 17th, 2017, 1:43 pm -What is the role of 13F's in Regiment as far as doing their jobs, are they only assigned to 3rd Battalion since 1st and 2nd have JTAC's assigned to them (this may be inaccurate) or do all 3 battalions in Regiment have JTAC's assigned to them and work alongside 13F's?

13F's are assigned to each company and each battalion. 13F JTACs are also in each company and each battalion. The total number depends on mission requirements but the Air Force augments whatever other needs for JTACs the 13F's do not cover themselves. The role of the 13F is the same as the job description you'd find anywhere for the job. To provide timely and accurate Fire Support from any asset - from mortars and artillery to attack helos and Close Air Support.

-What is the daily life of a 13F like in Regiment and what career options and opportunities do they have once in Regiment?

You live with the infantry company which is unique compared to the rest of the Army. You will do what the infantry company does each day... PT, go to the range, do platoon or company training events, as well as do 13F specific training. Your career opportunities are pretty specific as a 13F in that you will do 13F related jobs your whole career.

-Where are 13F's on the battlefield, to my understanding they are in the front but are not exactly door kickers either.

You'll be with whatever element you are providing fire support, so yes your description is accurate most days.
Robert, my answers are below yours, the bold font doesn't seem to be working... As probably the only 13F who is still active on the site feel free to PM me if you have follow ups.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Roger Ranger Disinfertention

I appreciate it greatly, PM inbound.
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Robert, Hope you are having a good holiday season. What are you doing this Christmas Eve? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Thank you Ranger Jim, happy holiday to you too!

This Christmas Eve I'm spending time visiting my Grandparents in Florida, its nice to enjoy the weather down here especially when it's in the 70-80s while in Delaware it's been in the 20-30s recently. My brother and I have been taking advantage of the warm weather and will runnning quite a bit during this trip. We've been toughening up our feet as well down here. We drove to Florida starting around 0500 on the 22nd and arrived around 0300 on the 23rd, because we were driving we opened our gifts early on the 21st and I'm quite happy that I got a new Molle II ruck. I can't wait to start rucking more often, this ruck has a lot more padding than the ALICE pack we have and fits great.

Earlier this month my brother and I partook in the Wreaths Across America Ceremony (which we've made a tradition in our family) at the Delaware Veterans Memorial Cemetary and will later in the year be heading down to Arlington National Cemetary to help remove wreaths for the cleanup. It is such an honorable and humbling experience and truly helps teach people the unfathomable value of freedom.

Rangers and DEP's I hope that you all enjoy your holiday season surrounded by family and the ones you love.
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Glad you are out enjoying the holidays. I know I'm in the "old" category now because I never thought I'd meet anyone to think the Molle II was a better ruck than the ol' Alice Pack.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Ranger Disinfertention,

I'm going to be giving it a try for a little while, I figured if a Molle II is what I'll be getting issued to use during BCT, AIT or RASP then I might as well get used to it and figure out how I like to wear the pack and what's a comfortable fit for me. The only concern I have with the pack is the external frame isn't metal like the ALICE packs frame, which makes me question the structural integrity and how the pack will preform under load. The last thing I want is to get injured from failing equipment. I havent gotten to ruck with the Molle II yet (only first impressions) so only time will tell whether I actually like the Molle II over the ALICE pack.

Hopefully when I get back from my Holiday trip I'll have time to test out the ruck as well as break in a new pair of boots that I purchased before I leave for a Sea Cadet advanced training on the 9th. Worst case scenario is that I strip the padding from the Molle II and replace the padding on the ALICE pack with it, I also saw that Tactical Tailor sells padding for the ALICE pack which the one I have is in desperate need of. When I upgraded my pack that I use for hikes on the Appalachian Trail to something with better padding and support I enjoyed hiking tenfold. With the ALICE pack though the hip strap didn't quite fit me correctly (it was big around my waist) which ultimately made things suck pretty bad having most all the weight on my shoulders. Hopefully the Molle II doesn't suck after I get underload with it as nearly as bad as I've heard it might :lol:
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

I'm sure the Molle ruck will do fine. It just looks like a big bag of shit on people most of the time. Have fun in your Sea Cadet training!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
C0LDY
Future Soldier

Post by C0LDY »

Roger Ranger Disinfertention

I'm looking forward to trying it out once I get back up north, regardless of snow on the ground or not I'm looking forward to breaking in a new pair of boots as well. I'll be heading back down to Florida for the Sea Cadet training I'm curious to see what this training has to offer.
11X

RASP 02-21
RS 03-23

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”