Introduction- Kaleb

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Kake
Embryo

Introduction- Kaleb

Post by Kake »

Hello all,

My name is Kaleb, I am currently 21 years old and looking for an 11x option 40. I have been browsing this site since the end of last year and have been researching the Army and Rangers for a while now. The plan is to enlist in the summer of 2018 when I finish college. I first contacted the recruiters in January of 2017.

Now for a little bit about me. I am currently a senior in college and I will be finishing undergrad with a biomedical science major, a chemistry and a psychology minor. Sadly, this does not leave me with a whole lot of free time to train and to study about being a Ranger but I do plan on logging on to this site a few times a week. I have had an interest in the military for quite a few years now but it wasn’t until 2016 that I determined that this is the route that I want to follow. I feel that being a Ranger fits the moral responsibilities that I believe in and aligns with my outlook on life. I have a desire to constantly improve and love to learn. I believe that being in the military, specifically SOF (if I make it through the training), will put me in a community of like minded individuals who want to make a difference and are willing to work for it. I realize that all aspects of the military are important but I see Rangers as the group where I can be taught by the best and do the most.

I will perform an APFT test within 72 hours and post the results. Apologies in advance for not being able to complete the running portion. I am currently recovering from a knee injury, no surgery needed, and should not be running until it fully heals. I do not have a recent two mile run to base my time off of. My last timed run, which was right before my injury, about four months ago, was a 5:58 one mile, so my best guess is that I could have gone sub 13 for two. I have a considerable amount of work that I need to put into swimming so that is my main exercise goal for now. Once healed, I also plan on hiking and rucking the bluffs near me. Until then I am focusing on upper body and abdominal workouts.

I am currently considering PRK eye surgery. According to AR 40-501 I would have a 6-month wait period before enlisting but it does not look like this would disqualify me from being a Ranger. If anyone has heard differently, your input would be greatly appreciated. I have seen a few recommendations that it is better to wait until after going through selection. Any experience or advice on this topic is welcome.

My next objective is to read all posts from the “Letters from School” thread. I realize that I still have a lot to learn and improve upon. I will do my best to keep my mouth shut and mind open. Thank you for providing this resource.
Sota211
Inprocessing

Re: Introduction- Kaleb

Post by Sota211 »

Kaleb, I would advise you not get PRK surgery until you get into the service. MEPS will give your hell for it and if you need to get a waiver kiss the Option 40 goodbye.
DEP: 11X OPTION 40
SHIPDATE: 20180703
“Five Mentees Report Here” Thread Member
Kake
Embryo

Post by Kake »

APFT

Push-ups - 79
Sit-ups - 81
Pull-ups - 18
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Kake wrote: September 19th, 2017, 6:35 pm APFT

Push-ups - 79
Sit-ups - 81
Pull-ups - 18
The AFPT events are push-up and sit-ups for two minutes each and a two mile run. We here at ArmyRanger.com ask our mentees to add pull-ups to the routine. Attention to detail is important!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Kake
Embryo

Post by Kake »

Rodger, Ranger Jim, I will be more cautious from here on out. I will complete another PT test in roughly three weeks; if my knee has healed, I will add a timed two mile run.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Kaleb, Please keep us updated on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Sota211 wrote: September 17th, 2017, 9:04 am Kaleb, I would advise you not get PRK surgery until you get into the service. MEPS will give your hell for it and if you need to get a waiver kiss the Option 40 goodbye.
Get back in your lane. Nobody asked you anything.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Sota211
Inprocessing

Post by Sota211 »

Roger Ranger cams
DEP: 11X OPTION 40
SHIPDATE: 20180703
“Five Mentees Report Here” Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

kaleb, Yesterday, you were on the site. Why didn't you piost?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Kake
Embryo

Post by Kake »

Ranger Jim, I wanted to have something productive to report back, next time I will update sooner. I have been sick and have had multiple tests to study for so today was my first time working out in a week and a half. I focused on chest and managed to set a new bench PR by 10lbs, now 265. I should have time for a swim workout this week and if all goes well another one this weekend. I have the Ranger Creed memorized and plan on working my way through more of the Letters From School section this weekend. I tested my knee out and it is not ready for impact exercise yet; I will try running again once November starts.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Kaleb, we look forward to hearing from you. Never, never quit
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Kake
Embryo

Post by Kake »

As it has been three weeks, I will soon be testing push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. I will give an update with the results when they have been completed. I have been reading the Letters from School thread, it is packed with a lot of quality information on the process to becoming a Ranger. So far the things that stand out to me the most are: do extra PT during OSUT/BAC, read the forums on this site, and live by the Ranger Creed. I regret to inform that I did not do a swim work out last week as promised. This was due primarily to a lack of self discipline although still being sick also played a role. The goal for the next few weeks is to again work on swimming and add more cardio in the form of biking to my workouts.
Kake
Embryo

Post by Kake »

Update

Push-ups - 77
Sit-ups - 83
Pull-ups - 17
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Kaleb, keep up the good work and continue to update us. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Kake
Embryo

Post by Kake »

Not much to report back, I had midterms last week and have two more test this upcoming week so I have made no progress on reading through the Letters from school section or making my way through the site. Workouts have also been scarce the past week and a half. I will do a PT test later this week. Still doing my best to live by the Ranger Creed, although I realize that I have a long way to go yet.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”