Boots

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Bell

Boots

Post by Bell »

I've read, with interest, everything about boots you guys have talked about. All the brands, the performance, the quality.

Now, I wanna hear some recommendations. I walk all day long. Highway, side of the road, climbing trailers, jumping in and out of equipment and trucks. I carry and drag heavy loads, i.e. 25' guard rail that weighs approximately 180 pounds. Wood and steel posts that weigh anywhere from 80 to 140 pounds. I'm rough on boots. During the cooler weather I walk miles on the highway. 20 to 40 is the norm.

The Red Wing boots I now have are gone. I bought them in January and the sole is shot. The boot is so worn that resole isn't an option. I have tough feet but wore blisters on them breaking in the boot. I was never really satisfied with the boot. They were hot and ate socks at times. I'm glad they're worn out.

Suggestions?

RLTW
Bell
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

Get one of those "Rascals" for old folks.

Then you won't get blisters on your feet anymore.
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Try the Danner Strikers. They are about $120 but they don't need to be broken in. You can get them at the Bass Pro Shop.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

I never had much luch with Red Wings either, wore out two pair really fast and they are expensive. I think RWs are more for the admin. types. Can't really recommend any particular brand but will say that whatever boot you get, take out the inserts and spend some cash on good ones. The gel type with heel cups are good specially if you are on you feet alot. Wearing a pair of "paddock" boots from ARIOT, they are ok but not made for walking.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Rgr_Mindriot
just an fyi but those Ariat boots are made in china

Ranger Bell try

http://www.wellco.com/

I have the jungles with the ripple soles and I love em, I have a friend that said the ICB is good but I havent tried them. I have tried several sets of Danners since I get them from work and I have not been happy with any of them. They seem to run on the narrow side. Another place to try is Sears, they make a Dura shock boot which is supposed to be comfy
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I have been wearing the same pair of steel toed ,Rocky 9 inch Rangers for the past two years and , even though they are made in China, have been a damn good pair of work boots. I wear then at work where I use them year round to do maintenace, yard work, etc. and also at home to mow and do landscaping, construction, etc. They are Gortex lined, all leather, and have Vibram soles. I think you can get a pair for about $110. I have close to 900 days of use in this pair and a brand new pair at home still in the box. 8)
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “Personal Gear”