Introduction - Brooks

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Downtown5634
Embryo

Introduction - Brooks

Post by Downtown5634 »

Hello Rangers, my name is Brooks, I'm 17 years old and I am currently a senior in high school.

I have scheduled a meeting with my local recruiter on Monday with the hopes of enlisting in the Army with an 11x Option 40 contract. My reasoning for wanting to join the Army and pursue this dream is simple. To protect my family, friends, and America as a whole. Now a little bit about myself. I enjoy outdoor activities such as fishing and shooting. Everytime Spring comes around I play Baseball with a local team and I have also started taking fitness and nutrition very seriously. I have already memorized the Ranger Creed by heart and I try to live up to the expectations of those who have came before me everyday. I look forward to being a member on this site and learning as much as I can.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Brooks

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Brooks, If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you're at the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top left of this page, in the quick links. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Please conduct an APFT, within the next 72 hours and post your results on this thread; add pull-ups to your AFPT. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Downtown5634
Embryo

Post by Downtown5634 »

Roger, Ranger Jim.
I was born and raised in Maryland and like I said before I want to serve my country. I have always wanted to serve in the Armed Forces my whole life. I first stumbled upon The 75th Ranger Regiment while I was researching different service options about one year ago. What has drawn me to the Rangers is the fact that it is an all volunteer unit with strict standards and discipline. Rangers have always stood out in history as being the tip of the spear in all of our nations conflicts and it would mean the world to me to have the opportunity to walk in the footsteps of so many great Patriots who came before me.
Downtown5634
Embryo

Post by Downtown5634 »

Ranger Jim, I have just finished conducting the APFT at my high school. My results are as follows:
Push-ups: 63
Sit-ups: 63
2-mile run: 15:35
Pull-ups: 7
I am aware that these scores are only a baseline to improve upon. I will continue to conduct an APFT every 2 weeks to track improvement and I will follow the workout advice that is posted in the Physical Training Thread.
Downtown5634
Embryo

Post by Downtown5634 »

Rangers, I just finished meeting with my recruiter and I think I could use some advice. It almost feels as if he is trying to push things along too quickly. He said that they only have about 100 infantry contracts left and he wants me to come in next Monday to enlist. When I brought up the Option 40 contract he seemed to just try to tell me that regular infantry is just as good. However the confusing part for me is that I took a "practice ASVAB" that only consisted of a few word and math problems. When I was finished it said that my ASVAB score was a 32 and my GT score was an 89. What makes this even more confusing is that he told me I did good on the mechanical portion of the test even though I was not asked a single question about mechanical comprehension. Right now the info from this site and my gut are telling me to slow things down and continue to study for the ASVAB and train physically to improve myself, but at the same time I don't want to come off as an entitled millennial. I want to join the Army to be a Ranger and I will do anything to accomplish that dream. Any advice would be much appreciated.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

To almost all recruiters, it's about numbers and right now, you're one of them. It is in their best interest to have you sign something in "THEIR BEST INTERESTS" not yours, in order to satisfy what they have to fulfill known as "Mission Quota"

If you want the Option 40, we will tell you what we tell everyone else who has a recruiter - HOLD OUT FOR THE OPTION 40. AND GET IT IN WRITING!
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Downtown5634
Embryo

Post by Downtown5634 »

Roger, Ranger centermass.
To clear some things up, my recruiter informed me that 11x contracts with the option 40 are currently available, but I feel like I should study for the ASVAB more. The practice test I took made me feel uneasy even though my recruiter did say that generally you will score 20-30 more points on the actual test. I want this opportunity more than anything right now. So for me it's either take my chances next week with the ASVAB and see if I qualify for the option 40 contract or tell my recruiter that I want to hold off on joining right now so I can study to be sure I will obtain the qualifying scores needed for the contract. He also told me that I needed a 110 GT score even though the Army website only states that a 105 is needed.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

This is the link that explains the enlistment requirements for the 75th
Ranger Regiment:

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... iting.html
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94