Intro

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Horse Weenie
Embryo

Intro

Post by Horse Weenie »

Hello everyone,

I am a NAVET (Gunnersmate) and seeking entry in the US Army. I wasn't in the Navy for very long and it wasn't my first choice to bloody well begin with! However, I got sold on the SEAL dream by the friendly local Navy Recruiter. Like a lot of guys I realized extensive preparation before undertaking such a goal was key, because the Navy has no official preparation program for those interested in the SPECWAR community--and Navy Basic is a joke, and then some. Ultimately, I can swim damn good, but I'm not the fish in the water that I needed to be.

This time 'round preparedness is at the top of my list. I plan to ship before the year is out for Infantry OSUT with the intention of earning the Ranger Beret and eventually the Tab.

"Don't just reach for a hotdog, grab a horse weenie!"
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome. How long were you in the military and what has your prior training entailed?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Welcome. Errr, ahoy there matie.

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Horse Weenie
Embryo

Post by Horse Weenie »

Here's the long and short of it...

(Keep in mind that despite my bitching and moaning herein I do realize that my failures are my own fault. However, I think a bit of background on what actually goes on before BUD/S might serve to entertain some of the readers here.)

I joined the Navy to go Gunnersmate and then onto BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL Training). My training entailed the basic candy-ass Navy Basic nonsense. The PT was a bloody freak'n joke. I recall a ton of recruits falling out during Battle Stations (48 hours, half-hour of sleep, 5-7 mile run total with 12 stopping points entailing non-running physical tasks). After I graduated they actually allowed the recruits to run Battle Stations in running shoes because too many squids were complaining! A Corpman had cut half the toenail off of my big toe because of an ingrown toenail and another toenail fell off during the run (my boots were too small due to swelling) and you didn't see my ass complaining. I sung candence nearly the whole time and destroyed my voice motivating my fellow shipmates (mostly female...and that isn't a sexist comment...that's reality).

I then arrived at Gunschool and found out that it had been shortened to 4 months as opposed to the traditional six. That was my first warning. The recommended prep time for BUD/S is six months minimum. I then buddied up with all the SEAL wannabes at Gunschool. Some guys would get up early in the morning and do prep runs and also do prep swims after school. I was average insofar as the amount of prep PT I put in--my motivation for sticking it through was waning terribly. I didn't have a sincere interest in water focused warfare to begin with and I found myself kicking my own ass because I went Navy instead of Army. On one particular occasion I was sitting in the galley talking to two guys who were not only best friends since birth, but also had the same astrological sign, their girlfriends were the same astrological sign and they were both essentially the same height and build. They were SEAL wannabes like myself but seemingly built better (i.e., bigger muscles than I) and totally focused on earning the coveted Budweiser. I mentioned something about mind over matter and showed them a scar from a time I put a cigarette out in the palm of my hand to make a point to someone who thought it'd be a good idea to mess with me (mind you, I'm not into self-mutilation). Both gentlemen had a look of shock when I told them that. My immediate thought was, "These guys may have the build but they don't have the mindset necessary to endure the torturous environment that is BUD/S." There was also a time when I sat with the SEAL Motivator (who was literally mentally FUBAR in the kind of way that only a SPECWAR wannabe like me can appreciate) and he stated, "I see these big guys with their pretty muscles and I think, they're just pretty, I'll choke you out just like anyone else." As far as the mental side of things go, I figured I might end up being cut out for BUD/S after all!

By the way, the SEAL Motivator did not lead up BUD/S prep half-the-time, a regular squid Petty Officer did (although he was tough, he was not a SEAL by any possible stretch of the imagination). There is no official BUD/S prep program in the Navy.

The days went by, and the GM classes before me had graduated. Approximately twenty SEAL candidates shipped to BUD/S along with a few SWCC guys. One of my shipmates got a call from Coronado and said that one of the wannabe SWCC boys was loving the training but unfortunately he found out that all but 2 of the SEAL wannabes had already rung the bell of shame--too include the above mentioned buffed out candy-ass twinkie-twins and all the guys who had put hours of prep PT in. I still don't know if the two remaining guys made it through the whole thing.

Is was about this time I said screw it, I'm going to get out and go into the branch I wanted in the first place. I will not disclose the methods I employed to exit the Navy. It does not pay to leave any branch of service before your allotted time is up.

Anyhow, I met up with a fellow former SEAL wannabe who was also on his way out of the Navy. Interestingly enough, his first choice was the proud USMC. However, like me, he had been convinced that SEALs are at the top of the food chain when it comes to the Special Operations community. He was told that there was a special Navy Basic Training division that was developed to give NAVSPECWAR wannabes (EOD, SEAL, SWCC, DIVER) better prep. This information was actually posted at an official Navy website. The joke was on him, because his division didn't PT anymore--and probably less than--other divisions. The only difference was that there were more SPECWAR wannabes in it than other divisions. My friend literally was so pissed that he walked off the graduation field and used the same method I used to exit the Navy.

Given that the Marines didn't want him after his early Navy discharge (like I said, It does not pay to leave any branch of service before your allotted time is up.) he is now in Army Infantry OSUT headed for the Ranger Beret as I type this.

As for my training, Gunnersmates learn electronics, hydrolics and basic small arms in Gunschool. They do not fire any weapons until they go to the Fleet.

If you have any further questions I will be glad to answer them.
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

Did you tell them that you like Horse Weenie? And it doesn't necessarily need to be horses?
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Well, My Brother Dublo's got a hell of a point....

I think I am going to sit back and watch how this one develops. So, so sorry to hear of your "hangnail" though. That had to just be a killer... :roll:

Um, this is where we would traditionally say welcome or something like that....

usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

You had a plan to be a SEAL it didn't work out the way you wanted it to and YOU QUIT?

or

You wanted to become a SEAL but there were to many OBSTACLES in the way and YOU QUIT?

or

You wanted to be a SEAL but the Navy didn't lay down the red carpet for you so, YOU QUIT?

I am trying to figure out what exactly caused you to QUIT?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Horse Weenie
Embryo

Post by Horse Weenie »

Concerning your statements about my "quitting"...

I didn't truly have the desire to be a SEAL. I was sold on it by the Navy Recruiter. My bloodline has been Army all the way. It wasn't the place for me and I knew it.

If I actually shipped to BUD/S, had been spewing transparent nonsense about becoming a SEAL on a board such as this and in the end rung the bell then I think that would warrant the use of the term "quitter". However, I realized I had been sold on a bullshit dream that wasn't mine to begin with so I left to pursue my dream.

Regards.
Horse Weenie
Embryo

Post by Horse Weenie »

Concerning the statement made about my so-called "hangnail"...

My statements about the state of my feet during Battle Stations was not intended to illustrate whatsoever how "tuff I am" but rather to shed light on the pathetic level of endurance exhibited by many Navy recruits--as many of them had no such problems with their feet before or after Battle Stations.

In no way do I have any intention of overshadowing the mental capabilities and testicular fortitude of those who have rightfully earned the Ranger Beret.

Thank you.
Mitch
Ranger

Post by Mitch »

Horse Weenie wrote:
On one particular occasion I was sitting in the galley talking to two guys who were not only best friends since birth, but also had the same astrological sign, their girlfriends were the same astrological sign and they were both essentially the same height and build.
:shock: With those kinds of signs maybe they should have played the fucking lotto. Who gives a fuck about astrological signs? Is that the standard line in the navy from one semen to another " Hey, sailor. What's your sign?" What relevance did their astrological signs have on any part of this story? Maybe there is a sign called "Fuckhead" sounds like it would fit better.
Horse Weenie wrote:They were SEAL wannabes like myself but seemingly built better (i.e., bigger muscles than I) and totally focused on earning the coveted Budweiser.
Budweiser, unless you are talking about a cold one of the #8 car nobody really gives a fuck about Budweiser.
Horse Weenie wrote:I mentioned something about mind over matter and showed them a scar from a time I put a cigarette out in the palm of my hand to make a point to someone who thought it'd be a good idea to mess with me (mind you, I'm not into self-mutilation).
WTF?
Horse Weenie wrote: "I see these big guys with their pretty muscles and I think, they're just pretty, I'll choke you out just like anyone else."
Pretty? Sounds like some navy fagmo going on. I"ll choke you out? Was this guy named Rickson? The only thing he is going to choke is his chicken.

Horse Weenie wrote:
Given that the Marines didn't want him after his early Navy discharge (like I said, It does not pay to leave any branch of service before your allotted time is up.) he is now in Army Infantry OSUT headed for the Ranger Beret as I type this.
Where exactly is this Ranger Beret he is heading for? Do you have a 10 digit grid?
RHQ 94-96, HHC 1/75 96-00
RS 12-95
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

In a previous post I asked you this: "How long were you in the military and what has your prior training entailed?"

In all your preceeding posts not once did you answer my question. How long were you in the military?

Why can't you answer a simple question with a simple answer? The just in training amount of time. 2 months/ 4 months? Please no biographical explainations.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I always wanted to be a "Ranger, SEAL, SF, Special OPs, pick whatever one fits for the moment" but my "whatever excuse works right now" wouldn't let me because "another excuse". Anyway I would have been a "whatever you are" but everything was against me.

Same old story. I could have, should have but I quit.

Guess what you will never end up anywhere if you continue to quit.

My whole PLDC class should have or could have been Rangers except for lame excues. I couldn't even wake half of them up in the morning for first call but they wanted to be Rangers.
Ranger2

Return to “Introduction Archive”