Introduction - Pope

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Pope
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction - Pope

Post by Pope »

Greetings all.

My name is Joshua, I'm 17 years old, and today I enlisted in the Army on an 11x Contract with an option 40. I ship out on June 19, 2017 after I complete my final year of high school.

By joining this site, I wish to join a community that supports my decision to attempt to join an elite force such as the Army Rangers, as well as join a community that could hold me accountable for my physical fitness as I prepare for the journey ahead. I have much to work on, and on Saturday I intend to carry out a self-administered PT test to create a base-line for the months of hard work to come.

I thank all those who have served, are currently serving, and have contributed to this site, for granting me invaluable information, aiding me in my steps towards joining the 75th Ranger Regiment.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Pope

Post by Jim »

Pope wrote:Greetings all.

My name is Joshua, I'm 17 years old, and today I enlisted in the Army on an 11x Contract with an option 40. I ship out on June 19, 2017 after I complete my final year of high school.

By joining this site, I wish to join a community that supports my decision to attempt to join an elite force such as the Army Rangers, as well as join a community that could hold me accountable for my physical fitness as I prepare for the journey ahead. I have much to work on, and on Saturday I intend to carry out a self-administered PT test to create a base-line for the months of hard work to come.

I thank all those who have served, are currently serving, and have contributed to this site, for granting me invaluable information, aiding me in my steps towards joining the 75th Ranger Regiment.
Welcome Joshua. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Why do you want to be a Ranger? Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Check your PMs. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Pope
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Pope »

Rangers,
I believe retired lieutenant colonel Dave Grossman's explanation of the three types of people in the world in his book On Killing best describes my desire to join the Rangers. My capacity for violence combined with the love for my fellow citizens is a part of my life that could best be expressed and utilized through joining an elite fighting force such as the Rangers. I am the first of my lineage to enlist in the U.S. Army, and although within my family culture this is a less than desirable decision, I do view it as a calling that I cannot ignore and I will do more than my best to earn and accept.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Joshua.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Joshua, when are you going to start work on your task list on the five mentees thread? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Pope
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Pope »

Rangers,

I apologize for my inactivity on this site, to which no excuse would suffice. I completed 25+1 push ups and welcome any other remedial actions deemed necessary. I have begun to read the five mentees thread, and realistically, I will be able to completely read it and have a task list posted by 0000 on Saturday.

Here are the results of my PT test:
Pushups- 31
Situps- 58
2-mile- 16:09
A stark reminder of the perpetual hard work ahead.
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Fix your sig line to the DEP standard and do push ups.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
Pope
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Pope »

Roger, Ranger Buzz.
Pope
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Pope »

Rangers,
I have begun work on my task list, but currently I must attend to an important matter that must be confronted immediately, and that is my inability to project realistically my ability to complete tasks. I had created, by and for myself, a deadline I did not meet, a display of my lack of integrity and loyalty to my word. This can not be taken lightly, for if I do enter the 75th Ranger Regiment, there will always be people counting on me to complete the tasks so they can complete theirs, in circumstances where failure to complete may cost not only my life, but more importantly the lives of my fellow brothers.

When I recite the third paragraph of the Ranger Creed, I am stating that "I will shoulder more than my share of the task, whatever it may be, one hundred percent and then some."

I apologize for this display of ignorance and insult towards all Rangers, and have conducted 50+1 push ups.
Pope
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Pope »

PT Test
Push-ups: 42
Sit-Ups: 56
2-Mile: 15:07
Pull-Ups: 8

SITREP
The PT test was graded harshly by a sibling, and the 2-miler was performed around laps of a city block. I am using Ranger Silverback's threads on APFT improvement as a guideline.

This has been an important stretch of time, in which I am becoming aware of the independence and self-discipline necessary to succeed and excel, and how imperative it is I renounce the lifestyle I grew up with. Although I believe to be content with what one has is necessary to breed humility, I must be wary that it does not lead to complacency and the failure to strive for excellence. With less than 180 days until I ship, I aim to make every day revolve around my preparation for the day and those after.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Joshua, Get to work on your task list. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Pope
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Pope »

Roger, Ranger Jim.
JPHawk

Post by JPHawk »

Pope,

Congrats on securing a chance at earning a scroll. Kind words complete. From August to January your improvement has been extremely lacking. If you truly wish to earn a place in the Ranger RGT you have to seriously increase your scores. Don't reply with apologies, just fix the problems. You have until June get ready for the challenge of a lifetime. Don't waste your time.
Pope
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Pope »

Roger, Ranger JPHawk.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

JPHawk wrote:Pope,

Congrats on securing a chance at earning a scroll. Kind words complete. From August to January your improvement has been extremely lacking. If you truly wish to earn a place in the Ranger RGT you have to seriously increase your scores. Don't reply with apologies, just fix the problems. You have until June get ready for the challenge of a lifetime. Don't waste your time.
X2. Complete waste of the last 6 months.

You string together a lot of words explaining things. Save your hot air to cool your soup and start pushing or you WILL end up quitting within the first week of RASP simply for lack of effort.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”