Charlie sitreps

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
IvoryCharlie
Future Soldier / Opt40

Re: Charlie sitreps

Post by IvoryCharlie »

Roger, Ranger Inteltoad. I'm staying positive, and while I can't become a Ranger, I gave it all that I had.
Ranger jth456, I asked and I would have to pay put of pocket to get a civilian surgeon. I do not have the ability to externally rotate my injured arm, which does not bode well for my ability to recover. A full tear in my rotator cuff seems likely at this point, along with a reinjury to my labrum. Coupled with the fact that I cannot lift my arm by itself, it doesn't seem possible that I could stay in combat arms when it is fully rehabilitated.
I'm willing to pay out of pocket to get fixed, and after I get my MRA i'll weigh my options again. However, I would rather take a medical discharge now than be at the mercy of pure luck for another year and get discharged anyway.
11B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

IvoryCharlie wrote:Roger, Ranger Inteltoad. I'm staying positive, and while I can't become a Ranger, I gave it all that I had.
Ranger jth456, I asked and I would have to pay put of pocket to get a civilian surgeon. I do not have the ability to externally rotate my injured arm, which does not bode well for my ability to recover. A full tear in my rotator cuff seems likely at this point, along with a reinjury to my labrum. Coupled with the fact that I cannot lift my arm by itself, it doesn't seem possible that I could stay in combat arms when it is fully rehabilitated.
I'm willing to pay out of pocket to get fixed, and after I get my MRA i'll weigh my options again. However, I would rather take a medical discharge now than be at the mercy of pure luck for another year and get discharged anyway.
Please update us on your status and progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
IvoryCharlie
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by IvoryCharlie »

Ranger Jim, this week I have an MRA on Tuesday, and a CT scan on Wedensday. I'll update when I know the full extent of my injury. The break in my humeral head can never heal, from what I've been told so far.
On a side note, I have been in contact with many of the mentees on this website. They have asked many good questions, and from what they tell me they are well prepared for their goals of being Rangers, and getting into the fight.
If anyone reading this has questions, feel free to PM me.
11B
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Quote IvoryCharlie;
"My right shoulder frequently pops and catches, my knees are destroyed from all the ruck running i've been doing lately, and my hearing is a bit shot from the amount of sim grenades that i've had thrown right next to me throughout OSUT and RASP."

Have your medical records been documented with your knee and hearing problems?

If it is not documented in your records it will be very hard to prove it to the VA.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Charlie, Now that your MRA and CT scan have been completed, how are you progressing? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
IvoryCharlie
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by IvoryCharlie »

Ranger Buzz, I will be getting all of my medical issues documented in the coming weeks.
Ranger Jim, the MRA and CT scan showed that I have a very severe injury. I have broken the bankart (socket), the hills sacs (the ball), and the ligament that connects the clavicle to the shoulder; in addition, I have a tear from 7 o'clock to 10 o'clock in my labrum. There are bone fragments floating around my shoulder, and complete holes in the socket. Surgery was officially reommended for me today as an option as soon as possible, and I was told that this injury is likely never going to get significantly better. I was also told that my chances of recovering from surgery lessen as I put it off for more time. I could get surgery while i'm in, wait a year to fully recover, and then be involuntarily reclassed, as I was told by a lawyer from JAG. I have talked to a civilian surgeon, and he recommends that I get surgery as soon as possible, otherwise there is no telling how well I could heal up. Staying an 11bravo is not plausible, since I won't be able to even climb walls for a few years. I could also proceed with going to the MEB, which is the option that I will be taking. I would rather not run the risk of being a nondeployable Chaplain's Assistant for 2 years, should the absolute worst case scenario play out.
11B
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

" I was also told that my chances of recovering from surgery lessen as I put it off for more time. I could get surgery while i'm in, wait a year to fully recover, and then be involuntarily reclassed, as I was told by a lawyer from JAG"

Do you have any access to a non military attorney specializing in VA Disability ?
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Charlie, in my opinion you have to prioritize right now and put your health first, you're a young man still and you'll still need to provide for a family one day, make sure you're able to do that.

If you wait and hold off on surgery with nothing but "hopes" you could really be fucking your future self.

You've proven that your a tough as nails guy, with drive and a good sense of service, you'll still have all those traits after you heal, and you can then pick up the cards and see where you stand, but get that injury fixed as best you can and as soon as you can. I'm sure you're in a good deal of pain in the meantime unfortunately, won't get much better til it's fixed up by a Doc.

As far as I'm concerned I'd always welcome you here, and I'd pay for the beer too. You gave 100% and then some, and you should always hold your head high. You have my respect young man. Proud of you still.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Charlie, please update us on your progress and know how much we need you to be part of this family. RLTW!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
IvoryCharlie
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by IvoryCharlie »

Ranger IntelToad, I spoke with several non-military attorneys as well as one at Fort Benning. They have all said that the VA will cover my surgery when I get out if I get it done by a military surgeon. Due to the extent of my injuries, I will be looking elsewhere for a surgeon; I do not want to risk having to get multiple arthroscopic repairs when it seems that open shoulder surgery and possibly even a shoulder joint replacement are my only options.
Ranger Cams, I appreciate your insight, and I thank you for all the advice that you have given me thus far. It has helped me monumentally to drive on and never quit. The length of time before I get surgery could effect my ability to recover from the labral tear, but the bone chunks floating around in my shoulder are never going to heal without surgery and time would not affect the severity of the repair. I am fucked either way, if I get surgery now or later. I just need to hope that I can get some sort of Range of Motion, even though strength is something that is probably never going to come back unless I get this surgery done by a very knowledgable doctor (as I plan to do).
Ranger Jim, I want to be a Ranger more than anything, but it cannot ever happen. I will be a nondeployable 11b if I stay in, and I will be forced to reclass and possibly extend my contact should I undergo surgery with a military doctor. That isn't something that I want to do. I signed up to go to war, and I am willing to give everything that i've got, up to and including my life, to make that happen. The US Army is not going to give me that chance because of this injury. I have been in contact with several no-pay volunteers out in Syria, and should I heal up reasonably, I am going to get over there and contribute the the fight against ISIS. A friend of mine who is getting medically discharged from 3/75 may end up coming with me.
I have documented all of my medical ailments. I have officially declined getting surgery, and I am now in the process of being medically discharged. It should take around 6 months, all of which I will spend at Worldwide. I'm looking to get cut open by a surgeon who deals with professional baseball players in PA a week or so after I get out.
11B

Return to “Letters from School”