SITREP - CCJ

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
CCJ
Future Soldier / Opt40

SITREP - CCJ

Post by CCJ »

Rangers,

I'm a little late on this SITREP and I apologize for that but here I am and I will definitely keep this up to date as this website has helped me out tremendously.

I graduated from OSUT in late April and that was an awesome experience. We got smoked quite a bit and I was expecting to get in better shape but I actually got a bit weaker. It's really hard to maintain fitness there. My final APFT consisted of 55 push ups, 71 sit ups, and a 2 mile in the low 12's. I was pretty surprised at how many people got injured or refused to train in basic. My platoon started with 46, got 3 recycles, and graduated 35. To anyone who's going soon, it's easy. There will be some real crappy moments of course but I had a good time. After graduation I went to Airborne holdover and Slov was actually there when I arrived but he shipped out pretty much right after I got there and I didn't get to meet him. Airborne holdover is a joke, there's barely any leadership. You PT in the mornings, do details throughout the day, and then get released for the evening. Airborne holdover ships guys out to Airborne every Thursday but every 3 weeks they have 1 week where they don't ship anyone out and I ended up hitting that week which got me a pass to go home over the weekend. It was really nice going back home and catching up with friends and family after being so isolated from them. I'm currently in jump week of Airborne school and I was supposed to do a Hollywood jump today but that didn't happen due to inclement weather. This is a very easy school but it's also pretty tedious. I'm in Alpha Co and we have 400+ people so just getting through all of the required iterations (which isn't many) takes all day. Basic training can pretty slow paced at times but it's nothing like this. I'm also really not a huge fan of heights so there's a bit of anxiety but I know I'll be fine. Aside from that I'm really looking forward to going to RASP and I've been progressively getting in better shape since OSUT.
11x Opt 40
Ship Date: 20160112

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
CCJ
Future Soldier / Opt40

Re: SITREP - CCJ

Post by CCJ »

Airborne school is now completed and I'll be heading to Pre-RASP on Tuesday. I had some rough landings but jump week was still an awesome experience. Every time I'm standing next to that door listening to the C-17 engines roar my knees got shaky but I was able to stay focused on my training and walk away in one piece every time. Rumors are that I'll be classing up for RASP in around 5-7 weeks which gives me plenty of time to continue preparing.
11x Opt 40

CCJ
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by CCJ »

I'm currently in Pre-RASP and am expected to class up on July 11th.
11x Opt 40

IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Good to hear, keep driving on !
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

CCJ wrote:I'm currently in Pre-RASP and am expected to class up on July 11th.
Excellent. Please post a SITREP to let the DEPs and mentees what to expect in pre-RASP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CCJ
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by CCJ »

Roger Ranger Jim,

For anyone who's coming here soon or wants to know more about it, I'll share my experiences and thoughts. First of all, it's very easy, an average day here consists of PT in the morning, details throughout the day, and then you get released around 1500 roughly. Pre-RASP is a great time to get squared away on Ranger history and standards. The morning PT sessions are very good and they help prepare you for RASP but definitely make sure you're doing PT on your own time as well. Details generally consist of picking weeds, sweepings rocks, cleaning, etc. You don't get freedom here like you did in Airborne school but that's not a surprise, professionalism is taken very seriously so conduct yourself appropriately. As for tips, arrive with a large 30x50 zippered duffle bag, it'll save you on the first day when you're hit with bag dumps which have time hacks. Never be late and always have your inspectable items on you and most importantly don't do something stupid because the Regiment is over strengthed right now and they really don't need new guys. There's a lot of people who would love to be a Ranger so don't throw away your opportunity.
11x Opt 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Please continue to prepare yourself for RASP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Letters from School”