Introduction-Juan

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Introduction-Juan

Post by cams »

Good. I understand fully that you have no real training yet to help you adapt to this environment and all young men walking this path will step on their cranks eventually with something, I know I sure did several times, which is why listening and following instructions exactly are so important to you.

I want you to look up and study:

"Task, Conditions and Standard" and become familiar with it.

You'll get all the instruction you need to succeed from men better and more qualified than me, but listening to the things taught here will make it less painful for you and give you a leg up on those next to you without this type of guidance.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

ricanman wrote:Ranger Cams, I have read the definition and layout of Tasks, Conditions and Standards and have learned a great deal from it and following the strict adherence to it.
Task-The first requirement is that the objective contain an action verb that describes doing something that can be seen and measured.
Conditions- conditions under which the behavior is to be observed. The objective will contain the conditions under which action will take place.
Standard The standard of performance is the last part of a complete objective like meeting the APFT requirements.
I hear this very much in documentaries and books on the regiment and elsewhere in the army and is probably in my best interest to learn it now.
Good. Studying on top of your PT is one of the smartest things you can do right now. Knowledge is power. Try to learn something new about the Regiment or a certain Battalion every single day. It will motivate and educate you.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

ricanman wrote:Roger that Ranger Cams i'm always looking to learn especially about the regiment and my new Ranger veteran buddy in my college class has told me a lot about the regiment through his experiences.
Have you invited your Ranger buddy to join us on the site?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

ricanman wrote:
Ranger Jim I have not but I will definitely tell him to join if he hasn't already very deep and down to earth guy. He noticed I was reading Sua Sponte by Dick Couch and recommended lots of good info on other books. His name is James he's a second battalion veteran, thick beard, about 5''9, white guy.Ranger Jim I have not but I will definitely tell him to join if he hasn't already very deep and down to earth guy. He noticed I was reading Sua Sponte by Dick Couch and recommended lots of good info on other books. His name is James he's a second battalion veteran, thick beard, about 5''9, white guy.

Correction he's a second battalion veteran.
Are you going to school in Boston by any chance?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

I have been reading your intro thread, and I must say you got me to thinking. Just out of curiosity, how tall are you?

The reason I ask is that one of the best ways to improve your run time is to drop your weight. There are other things one can do, of course. But by far the quickest is to loose weight. To find your ideal weight, convert your weight in lbs. to kilos (divide by 2.2) Then, start with 50 kilos for 5 feet. For every inch over 5 feet, add 3 kilos. For me at 76 inches, my ideal weight is 215 lbs. I haven't been that weight since i was in Batt, However, I could run 7 minute miles all day.

If I may be so bold, I recommend working on your over all fitness first, and put enlisting on the back burner for now. The reason is this, when you get to RASP, it will be too late to get yourself in shape, and you want to maximize your chances for success.

Take a year, get some classes at the local community college. This will also help you with your promotion points, and rank = money. In that year, work on your fitness. Join a crossfit gym, or get someone to help you, to keep you motivated. During this time, learn a little Ranger history, if you haven't already.

As I would say to mi hijo la mitad borinqueña, ¡calmaté!.. ¡suave!...don't worry about deploying. As long as there are bad guys to kill, the Ranger Regiment will be there to assist them in meeting their maker. They get to everyone eventually..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

If you take 2 years to prep, continuing at your college to get 24 credits, and are able to max your age group in the APFT before enlisting, there should be no reason why you couldn't be a Tabbed E-5/Sgt. in 2 1/2 to 3 years.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

ricanman wrote:I actually posted a thread about my height in the RASP section if your curious on that..
You couldn't just tell me your were 5'8", brah? You should be closer to 165-ish and I willing to bet you aren't all lean, mean muscle. As you drop weight, you will get faster. It will take time. You didn't put it all on in one day; it won't come off in one day. Proper diet and portion control plays a HUGE part, more than you realize. However, if you do it properly, watch what you eat & get regular exercise including cardio, in about 12 weeks you could be down to your fighting weight. You could just go in, hope for the best and see how you are at the end of Basic & AIT. But think about this: they are about to open up RASP slots to female soldiers. It will be that much more competitive, and this is definitely a case of "How bad do you want it?" If you really, truly want to earn a slot there, nothing will be more than a minor annoyance. Any roadblocks encountered you will consider an administrative problem, at worst. Better to set yourself up for success from the get go.

As far as the question from the other thread about your height? Some of the most balls-tough motherfuckers I knew in Batt were the little guys. 5 foot nuthin', 100 and nuthin' soaking wet with full kit.. They had to carry every bit of crap that the next guy did, AND keep up. Yeah, it sucks trying to keep up with the big-ass goons, but that is the price of admission
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”