Introduction - Ike

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Ike
Embryo

Re: Introduction - Ike

Post by Ike »

Good afternoon Rangers,

I apologize in advance, it'es been two years since my last post. A lot of things have happened since then. I have messaged a couple of Rangers on my situation last year, and now I would like to update everyone on my current situation. I still have not lost interest at all. The main reason that was holding me back was paperwork that was needed for my SF-86. I have a clean record but some of my family members are born out of country so I had to produce those documents, per the security investigator. Things were looking really grim, lost my jobs and had no where go, I'll spare you guys the sob story. I finally found a place to stay and enrolled in a semester in college and even found part time work. The reason I went back to college was that I wasn't sure if the paperwork was going happen, but oddly right after a week of school, my family member tells me that they have the paperwork. I was completely thrown off so I had to make a decision. I decided to stay at least one semester in college and seriously train the next few months. I have been training beforehand, but to seriously train both mind and body. I am also trying to learn more about Christ but still giving my full attention to my Ranger goals. Again, I take full responsibility for not responding and thank you for reading.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome back Ike. Please post a PT test score within the next 72 hours. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ike
Embryo

Post by Ike »

Roger that Ranger Jim.
Ike
Embryo

Post by Ike »

Greetings Rangers and others, I have conducted a self PT test.

Pushups: 70 in 2 minutes
Sit-Ups: 43 in 2 minutes
2 Miles run: 18:49.
Pull ups: 8

I tried really hard to run 5 miles but my lower back muscles and one hip gave up. For some unknown reason I just had a sharp pain ni my hip. It is possible that I haven't ran 5 miles for a long time, so i ran one mile, and another mile after two miles clocking at 10 mins a mile. A total of 4 miles. I had a better score before in sit ups and running, now it's just terrible. I know what I have to work on now.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Please tell us how your enlistment is progressing. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Ike
Embryo

Post by Ike »

Thank you for asking Ranger Jim.

Some really, really strange and hard things are happening right now. First, I would like to state that I wish not to come off harsh or strained, it is because the situation I am in. I have talked to my recruiter today and the gave all my documents to him, (the documents I have waited for a year). So so far my security clearance looks good, except the fact I have to go to MEPS again. Now the extremely tough part: I have been told that they do not have an 11X with an Option 40, and I know what to say about that because I have read Invictus's thread "No OPT 40's available? Here's how to respond". The problem is that my recruiter and the recruiter SFC told me is that I'm too old (28) and that I need to stop listening to all the BS on the internet. He says there is no guarantee at Basic or AIT or even Airborne. He said maybe the Drill Sergeants might let the recruits know if there's RASP slots available, in which I have read many posts here that a lot of Rangers did not have an Option 40. However I'm getting a lot of info that this isn't the case anymore in 2016 because of the draw down in wars right now. Meaning I probably won't even have a chance, even if I max out on my PT score. Secondly my recruiter offered me a different MOS with an Option 40, either 42A (Human Resources) or 27D Paralegal. I've trained long to become infantry and in the Ranger Regiment. Being behind a desk is way far-out from what I had in mind. He even said there's am 18X available, but I have Ranger in my heart, not Special forces.

In recap:
1) I have two MOSs with an Option 40 availible now this entire year (from what he said): 42A or 27D.
2) 11X, no options, either 40 or option 4 (I will double check on the 4)
3) 18X

Solutions:
1) I enlist as an 42A with an Option 40, is that even a good idea? I honestly don't want to be behind a desk. If my recruiter is telling it's hard to become a 11B in Regiment, will I have trouble reclassing to 11B? How long do I have to be a 42A?
2) 11X no options. I know it's not guarantee, but chances of getting a slot the same from 2010 to now 2016?
3) Possible, but I didn't grow up wanting to be Special Forces. I want to be a Ranger. Infrantryman.

Pretty much my recruiter have said I'm insane because I'm coming back and know full well that there will be no 11Xs with an option 40 and there will be none at all. They are irate because they have to rebuild my packet again and again and will not let me go to a different recruiting station (because I have tried, the officer in the area denied it). I know it's a lot to ask from you Rangers, but I desperately need a little advice.
Ike
Embryo

Post by Ike »

I think I'm just going to wait.
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Well you are not too old. I enlisted at 34 and stuck to my guns. The only thing I can say is if you take one of the other two MOSes the go to Ranger School you can reclass to 11 series. Ultimately the choice is yours. There are a few other "front line" MOSes too so dig around a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Also are you married or have kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Ike
Embryo

Post by Ike »

No I am not married and no kids. Thank you for your quick reply Ranger Grim666.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ike wrote:I think I'm just going to wait.
Any new developments with your recruiter? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Ike
Embryo

Post by Ike »

Hello Rangers,

-I have an update with my situation. I just finished my semester at college. I tried again and called my current recruiter to see if there is Option 40, he said no. I luckily was able to contact a recruiter in Alabama for more information on recruiting and contracts. I learned a lot. Apparently the Alabama recruiter said that my packet was terminated and that a recruiter is supposed to call "rec" or "roc" for jobs. And since my packet was dead, my current recruiter who told me that there isn't any jobs may not even called. He also recommended to go to another recruiting station.

-Secondly I emailed <75Recruit@soc.mil> about how I was having a tough time getting an option 40 and he replied with this:

"We have no control over the option 40 contracts that is all done through active army recruiters but there are other ways to get into regiment if you are still wanting to go the 11B route and don’t want to wait.
If the applicants can't get an option 40 then, as long as they meet the requirements, they will have the opportunity to engage the Ranger LNO while in basic training. In theory the LNO is to brief every soldier on Sand Hill, however in practice some times scheduling does not permit. If the soldier meets and exceeds the requirements he will come up on the LNOs tracker so when he goes to that company he will look for those soldiers who are a "potential" for Regiment. If the soldier does not get picked up, but has the opportunity to get to airborne he can engage the airborne Ranger LNO who briefs the RASP candidates and those interested. If the soldier does not get to volunteer through either of these means then when he gets to his first duty station he can engage me here 75recruit@soc.mil and start the packet process. Thank you!"

-Thirdly, I was told from the Alabama Army recruiter that there is no option 40 or even option 4 contracts available at the moment. He has seen some in the last 2 months. I also have read from this site that some have been able to obtain a ranger slot in AIT. I am just not sure whether if I should wait for at least an Airborne (Option 4) contract or gamble with a regular 11x.

Thank you for reading.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

If you want 11X OPT40 then wait for it. Your other recruiter was full of shit, how can you be too old for Regiment with an 11x Opt 40, but not for the other 2 Opt 40's? Complete BS.

Also they cannot stop you from going to any other recruiter you choose at any time you choose to, they're playing you and trying to scare/bullshit you. You haven't signed a contract so you don't belong to anyone yet.

You keep asking what to do, you've been given several options, the decision is yours, it's your life.

Indecision is not a Ranger trait. Look at your options, wait or not, and formulate a plan.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
elgecko
Ranger

Post by elgecko »

Ike, don't forget that you can always drop a packet to go to RASP from the regular Army as well. Some of the best NCO's I know in Regiment didn't have option 40 contracts and, because Regiment and the regular Army work so differently, it made them much more rounded. If you want to be an 11B and you want to be a Ranger, an OPT 40 isn't your only path.
Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.
-Virgil

E Co, 2/75
RS 2-15
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

elgecko wrote:Ike, don't forget that you can always drop a packet to go to RASP from the regular Army as well. Some of the best NCO's I know in Regiment didn't have option 40 contracts and, because Regiment and the regular Army work so differently, it made them much more rounded. If you want to be an 11B and you want to be a Ranger, an OPT 40 isn't your only path.
Excellent. and accurate recommendations from one who knows what he says. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”