Introduction James Garafalo

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

JamesGarafalo
Embryo

Introduction James Garafalo

Post by JamesGarafalo »

abstract: I was a little annoyed when registering to this site. Never before in my life have I had such a hard time posting to a website before. I have found the difference to be the value of the information and advice that is given. In my experience giving introductions on other websites are given little consideration and thus, a waste of time. I generally do not like talking about my history. After reading through some other introductions, I am encouraged that I will most likely get out more than what I put into this website. For those that are actually interested in what I have to say, I am grateful.

I am 22 years old, 5' 7.5'' 170lbs

I'm a proud American. Born in Queens and raised on Long Island, New York. I don't have any close family or friends in the military. I have always wanted to join the military since as long as I can remember. I started going on combat patrols around 7 years old. My first inspiration must have been watching Saving Private Ryan when it was released on DVD sometime in 1999. The movie had a lasting effect on my life. It made me feel pride, sadness, anger, gratefulness, and the need to do the same. September 11, 2001 my mother and her husband were both New York City Police Officers at the time. Again, I felt sadness, anger, gratefulness, pride and the need to do something. Without going into detail, I had a lot of problems in my childhood, both out of my control and many within my control that I let bother me. I had great interest in politics and politics. I went to the Princeton Model Congress of 2011 with a bill to stop funding the Pakistani military and allow the U.S. military to freely engage believed terrorist targets within the country. My bill was voted down. Ironically 3 months later we all know Osama Bin Laden was killed in a city near the Pakistani Capitol. Graduating High School in 2011 I was over weight and didn't have the confidence to join the military at the time. My friends and those around me are not interested or believe in the military or our country like I do, though my confidence has waved with our government.

I got my associates degree from community college and then went to a 4 year college. I have voted every year since I turned 18 in both local and national elections (although my candidate has Never won). Through working full-time and going to school the weight started to melt off of me. I'm 18 credits away from my Bachelors and I can't take another 5 minutes of talking about doing something instead of actually doing something. I took the ASVAB and got a 85. I enlisted in the Army last week and I'm shipping February 17, 2015 to ft. Benning as 11x Option 40 Airborne, Ranger PFC. (please tell me if I am allowed to post this or not and I will fix it). I saw someone else is leaving the day before with the same contract so we may meet.

I had a serious alcohol problem the last couple of years until the day I went to see my recruiter August 1, 2015. I weighed 188lbs. My first 2 mile time was 21:42. Today, I'm at 170lbs (with a lot more muscle) and I finished a 2 mile in 14:56 and last week my second 3 mile in 23:44. Although I'm not even close to where I want to be, I am making progress and will do whatever it takes to reach my goal of becoming the best.

It is December 19. 11:30 AM. I'm unfortunately switching between watching the Democratic debate and the Jets and Cowboys game. I have exactly 60 days before my ship date and I'm counting down every minute.
11X OPTION 40
SHIP DATE: 20160217

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" -Abraham Lincoln
JamesGarafalo
Embryo

Re: Introduction James Garafalo

Post by JamesGarafalo »

is it not possible to edit a post or am I just not seeing it?
11X OPTION 40
SHIP DATE: 20160217

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" -Abraham Lincoln
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

James Garafalo, If you want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We take pride in the fine young men who pass through armyranger.com in their life journey. Please begin by reading the FAQs as well as selected threads and stickies. Most questions you might have are already addressed. The search feature, located on the top right of this page is your friend. Obviously, you are not on Facebook any more. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

JamesGarafalo wrote:is it not possible to edit a post or am I just not seeing it?
No. Only the "admins" can edit in the intros.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
sinjefe
Ranger

Post by sinjefe »

Another one infatuated with himself. You said I, my or me 62 times.
'82-'85 HHC, 1/75
'85-'87 101st Abn Div (AASLT)
'87-'89 9th Inf Div (MTZ)
'89-'02 7th SFG (A)
'02-'06 Advisor, Colombian Counter Narcotics JTF
'06-'08 JFK Special Warfare Center
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

JamesGarafalo wrote:is it not possible to edit a post or am I just not seeing it?
I'd like to think that being a college graduate and a young man that would like to become a Ranger would've read all the rules about posting to a site owned and run by Rangers. That may be quite a stretch these days, so I'll just ask, who are talking to?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”