Introduction - Always_Strive

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Introduction - Always_Strive

Post by Always_Strive »

Hello all,

My name is Dan, I am 26 years old, I am a college graduate, and I am currently trying to get back into the United States Army as an Infantryman with the 75th Ranger Regiment (11X, Option 40) or a Special Forces Candidate (18X).

I know for a fact that I will have a long road ahead of me before I can re-enlist; I will require a medical waiver and an exception to policy. I received an entry level discharge in 2009 at the end of Basic Combat Training when I found out I had a condition called Nystagmus, minor involuntary movement in my eyes. Since I did not get the proper medical waiver for this condition when I first enlisted, I only got a medical waiver for my 20/60 correctable vision, I received an uncharacterized discharge with RE-3 re-entry code.

I recently had LASIK surgery in May 2015, which corrected my vision to 20/40, and am currently waiting for my 6 months to be up in November 2015, according to AR 40-501, to begin the paperwork once again. Hopefully, it will be easier to obtain the medical waiver and exception to policy memo since it will be a month into the new fiscal year. In the mean time, I have been preparing myself physically and mentally and doing a lot of research about the Army Rangers and Special Forces to better prepare myself.

I know that I am able to overcome my minor medical abnormality and am a very dedicated, honest, and hardworking individual that will never quit and will be a great addition and valuable member of the United States Army SOF community. I have not given up on my dreams and goals and will do whatever it takes to achieve them.
11X
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Always_Strive

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome & good name choice, you will need a good name to get you ahead. Condgrats on your college grad young man. Stay in upto date wth us. RLTW
Steadfast---------------------------------------------------
Always_Strive wrote:Hello all,

My name is Dan, I am 26 years old, I am a college graduate, and I am currently trying to get back into the United States Army as an Infantryman with the 75th Ranger Regiment (11X, Option 40) or a Special Forces Candidate (18X).

I know for a fact that I will have a long road ahead of me before I can re-enlist; I will require a medical waiver and an exception to policy. I received an entry level discharge in 2009 at the end of Basic Combat Training when I found out I had a condition called Nystagmus, minor involuntary movement in my eyes. Since I did not get the proper medical waiver for this condition when I first enlisted, I only got a medical waiver for my 20/60 correctable vision, I received an uncharacterized discharge with RE-3 re-entry code.

I recently had LASIK surgery in May 2015, which corrected my vision to 20/40, and am currently waiting for my 6 months to be up in November 2015, according to AR 40-501, to begin the paperwork once again. Hopefully, it will be easier to obtain the medical waiver and exception to policy memo since it will be a month into the new fiscal year. In the mean time, I have been preparing myself physically and mentally and doing a lot of research about the Army Rangers and Special Forces to better prepare myself.

I know that I am able to overcome my minor medical abnormality and am a very dedicated, honest, and hardworking individual that will never quit and will be a great addition and valuable member of the United States Army SOF community. I have not given up on my dreams and goals and will do whatever it takes to achieve them.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Thank you for the words of encouragement Ranger Steadfast. Will most definitely keep everyone updated as soon as something new happens.
11X
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Welcome. Is/was your condition Distinct Horizontal Nystagmus?

If so have you ever fired, accurately, a rifle or pistol with this condition?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Ranger cams,

My Nystagmus condition is distinctly horizontal Nystagmus and is congenital (present at birth). I was able to qualify on my rifle during Basic Rifle Marksmanship, and continue to target shoot on rifles and pistols accurately as a hobby.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Always_Strive wrote:Ranger cams,

My Nystagmus condition is distinctly horizontal Nystagmus and is congenital (present at birth). I was able to qualify on my rifle during Basic Rifle Marksmanship, and continue to target shoot on rifles and pistols accurately as a hobby.
Please tell us more about yourself. I hope you realize you are not on facebook.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Yes Ranger Jim,

I do apologize for the late reply, have been apartment hunting and preparing to move the past couple of days.

I currently live in Southern California, and have moved around the area my whole life. I graduated from California State University, San Bernardino in 2011 with a Bachelor degree in Accounting, and have been working in accounting ever since. I recently obtained my CPA license and currently work for a regional accounting firm. I also have several family members who proudly served in the military. These include my uncle (U.S. Marines) and several of my cousins (U.S. Army). These are some of my biggest motivating factors for me trying to get back into the U.S. Army Special Operations community.

I am currently working on my PT score to max out every event. Below are my current scores:

2 Minute Push Ups: 70
2 Minute Sit Ups: 70
2 Mile Run: 17:00 (my biggest obstacle I am working on)
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

There are a number of threads on PT improvement on the site. You have plenty of time to improve yourself. Have you been in contact with an Army recruiter? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Ranger Jim,

Yes, I have been in contact with several Army Recruiters. Most of them have turned me away until November (when my 6 months of recovery is up from my LASIK procedure). I was a little sidetracked with my move, but back at working on improving my PT.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Always_Strive wrote:Ranger Jim,
Yes, I have been in contact with several Army Recruiters. Most of them have turned me away until November (when my 6 months of recovery is up from my LASIK procedure). I was a little sidetracked with my move, but back at working on improving my PT.
Ok, so you are staying busy. Please add pull-ups to your work-outs. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Yes Ranger Jim,

I will begin to add pull ups to my current workout regiment.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dan, November I just around the corner. Please tell us what MOS you will be enlisting for? What made you chose that MOS? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Ranger Jim,

I have decided to stick with my original plan to enlist as an 11X with Option 40. I want this MOS because this is what I have always wanted to do. I want to be on the front line right next to other fellow infantryman as the queen of battle does what their mission asks of them. I know I am giving up a lot of creature comforts going from a desk job to infantry, but if this is what the heart calls for, I will endure and enjoy every living moment of it and know that I chose to put in the work, blood, sweat and tears and did it to the best of my abilities.

I did not know about the rich history of the Army Rangers until recently. And what a history they do have; from the days of Colonel Benjamin Church to today with their valorous acts in the Global War on Terror and beyond. The Rangers are full of men who have pushed themselves to their top abilities and have endured to perform some of the most courageous acts of valor and distinguished service throughout the history of the United States of America. They are men who told themselves that there is always more I can give and to never quit until the mission is accomplished. This is what draws me to becoming an Army Ranger. As a triple volunteer, I have done my research and know the pros and cons and what I am able to get myself into, and I will accept it with 100% of my will and being.

I have recently contacted the recruiters again to see if there was any paperwork I could get started on, but that is a no go until November 9. I am also currently studying for the ASVAB. I am pretty smart, my previous scores from 2008 were pretty high, but it has been a while since I've touched high school math and science.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dan, Well, 9 November is not that far away, Start to memorize the Ranger Creed and start living your life by it. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Always_Strive
Future Soldier

Post by Always_Strive »

Yes Ranger Jim, I will definitely start living my life by the Ranger creed .
11X

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”