Curlex?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
apod
Embryo

Curlex?

Post by apod »

Rangers: Came across the word curlex in a few of the posts.Tried the search function but didnt get anything to explain what it is.Can someone help out :?:
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Gauze type stuff that is supposed to be excellent for wound packing. Available at any walmart. Maybe one of the medics can give you a better description...
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

BadMuther wrote:Gauze type stuff that is supposed to be excellent for wound packing. Available at any walmart. Maybe one of the medics can give you a better description...
That was actually pretty good. Curlex is packaged in rolls, when you encounter an injury and have made your assessment of your patient, cleaned it etc. One would put a 4X4 or a few 4X4's on the site of the wound and then wrap it with Curlex to support the wound site and apply direct pressure without constricting the exact site like one would with a tourniquit. Curlex has many uses in field medicine, you can make a sling out of it, an ankle wrap for a sprained ankle, use it to support the ends of splints etc. It's extramely practical. But it's primary function is the one listed in the first sentence.

Paramedic's, Doc's, how'd I do? It's been a while since EMT school....

I hope that answered your question.

Ne Safe,
usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

usaftacp wrote:
BadMuther wrote:Gauze type stuff that is supposed to be excellent for wound packing. Available at any walmart. Maybe one of the medics can give you a better description...
That was actually pretty good. Curlex is packaged in rolls, when you encounter an injury and have made your assessment of your patient, cleaned it etc. One would put a 4X4 or a few 4X4's on the site of the wound and then wrap it with Curlex to support the wound site and apply direct pressure without constricting the exact site like one would with a tourniquit. Curlex has many uses in field medicine, you can make a sling out of it, an ankle wrap for a sprained ankle, use it to support the ends of splints etc. It's extramely practical. But it's primary function is the one listed in the first sentence.

Paramedic's, Doc's, how'd I do? It's been a while since EMT school....

I hope that answered your question.

Ne Safe,
usaftacp

I believe Doc has gone on assignment, one of medics will surely back you guys up. Me? I running down to the infirmary to get me some Curlex!
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
LowCrawler
Tadpole

Post by LowCrawler »

Is Curlex that kind of bandage that only holds to itself? I've used that stuff a few times and it works very well. Plus it doesnt come unraveled or pull hairs like normail gauze and tape can do.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"We make war that we may have peace"
-Aristotle

"A post a day keeps the smoke away"
-Doc
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

LowCrawler's Signature wrote:"the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Both these items appear in your signature. Are you the original author of these quotes? Or have they come from other's? Perhaps you can give credit to the original author's and include their names after each quote.

Edited to add: Do not respond to me. Just make the necessary corrections Lowcrawler
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
apod
Embryo

Post by apod »

Yep>that answered my question.I have probably used and didnt even know,different brand names and all that.Cheers.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Fish3069 wrote:Pretty good yall. It is a 4 inch rolled guaze, good for alot of things including restraining patients to cots. Its brand name is Kerlix. There is also 2 inch Kling which is a more elastic. Low crawler I think you are thinking of Coban... which is awsome.
Coban...I was trying to remember the name of that stuff to tell Leatherneck...love coban!!!!

LC, you aren't thinking of an ace wrap, are ya?
Oreo
Tadpole

Post by Oreo »

Ranger BadMuther wrote:
Ranger Fish3069 wrote:Pretty good yall. It is a 4 inch rolled guaze, good for alot of things including restraining patients to cots. Its brand name is Kerlix. There is also 2 inch Kling which is a more elastic. Low crawler I think you are thinking of Coban... which is awsome.
Coban...I was trying to remember the name of that stuff to tell Leatherneck...love coban!!!!

LC, you aren't thinking of an ace wrap, are ya?
Low Crawler, are you talking about the stuff that the trainers use before they tape you up?
628th MI Bn,28th ID(M): June 03-Jan05
Bco 447th Signal Bn Nov 06-Jan 08
A Co WTB(Ft. Gordon) Jan-April 08
"I don't fear failure. I only fear the slowing up of the engine inside of me which is saying, 'Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?'"
-General George S. Patton
LowCrawler
Tadpole

Post by LowCrawler »

Yes Oreo that purple stuff! Thats where id seen it before... i dont think its an Ace bandage because IIRC, it didnt have any sort of adhesive, it was like magic cloth stuff that held to itself, so theyd wrap it around your ankle or whatever with a small length of it, enough times until it was pretty tight, and then stick it down to itself around the ankle or whatever was to be taped. That way the tape had something to stick to that wouldnt come unraveled underneath it. The kind doc (our trainer) used was purple, but im sure it comes in other colors.

**waaaay too long long link deleted**
Last edited by LowCrawler on September 5th, 2004, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"We make war that we may have peace"
-Aristotle

-Doc
Oreo
Tadpole

Post by Oreo »

LowCrawler wrote:Yes Oreo that purple stuff! Thats where id seen it before... i dont think its an Ace bandage because IIRC, it didnt have any sort of adhesive, it was like magic cloth stuff that held to itself, so theyd wrap it around your ankle or whatever with a small length of it, enough times until it was pretty tight, and then stick it down to itself around the ankle or whatever was to be taped. That way the tape had something to stick to that wouldnt come unraveled underneath it. The kind doc (our trainer) used was purple, but im sure it comes in other colors.
I thought thats what you were talking about. It doesnt even feel like an ACE bandage, if id have to compare it to something id say it feels like foam. This stuff is great, from playing soccer, i had to have my ankle taped quite a bit, and it makes the tape job more comfortable, and also it doesnt hurt like a bitch when youre done with it and have to pull it off. We have the Orange kind. I think the athletic office was shooting for a color coordinated tape job to match our uniforms :lol:
628th MI Bn,28th ID(M): June 03-Jan05
Bco 447th Signal Bn Nov 06-Jan 08
A Co WTB(Ft. Gordon) Jan-April 08
"I don't fear failure. I only fear the slowing up of the engine inside of me which is saying, 'Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?'"
-General George S. Patton
Kelly-Belly
Tadpole

Post by Kelly-Belly »

Hahaha, I think there are a billion names for that stuff, I use it on my horses and we call it VetWrap and it's SO SO SO cheap. It's like 49 cent a roll from jeffers.com. I use it at rodeos all the time, either on people or the horses, haha. :lol:
Kelly

This should be you...that they call Incredible...
ertdoc222
Embryo

Post by ertdoc222 »

everyone is pretty much talking about the same stuff, just has different names dependant on the industry and need. As a soccer player for 16 years I used the colored stuff, and then as a INF Doc for 8 years, got to use multiple types on the guys. Everyone who has posted has been pretty correct, depending on past history with it.
ertdoc222
Hard Pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch--at the battle of the Marne
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Kerlex is used primarily for stuffing wounds and or padding them once the bleeding is under control. Carry as many as possible! I saw 5 get stuffed into a wound once in order to control Bleeding. Make sure and put pull tabs on the edges of the Wrapper. It can be a real bitch trying to peel the wrapper off with bloody hands. To put pressure on the wound after it has been stuffed use either an Ace wrap or my favorate-Coban. Coban is like an ace wrap only it sticks on to itself and it does not come unravelled like an ace wrap. No Shitty metal clips to deal with either.

"Doc" Cook

Return to “Medical Issues”