Intro - He>I

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Intro - He>I

Post by Grim666 »

What MOS are you looking at??
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

Jim wrote:Have you been in contact with an Army recruiter? Never, never quit!
Ranger Jim,

I attempted to contact my recruiter yesterday to schedule a MEPS appointment for mid-August, but he was unavailable so I left a message. I will try again and if he doesn't respond, I will find another recruiter. In the mean-time I have been following the 12 week RASP program (I'm on week 4) posted on the Benning website.
He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

Grim666 wrote:What MOS are you looking at??
I'm leaning toward the 11b MOS within the Regiment . The only other MOS that I would be open to is the 68W. I read "Lest We Forget" by Leo Jenkins (former Ranger Medic) and I was really impressed with the skill and training of the modern Ranger Medic. As a Ranger and current Ranger Medic do you have any suggestions or advice?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

He>I wrote:
Grim666 wrote:What MOS are you looking at??
I'm leaning toward the 11b MOS within the Regiment . The only other MOS that I would be open to is the 68W. I read "Lest We Forget" by Leo Jenkins (former Ranger Medic) and I was really impressed with the skill and training of the modern Ranger Medic. As a Ranger and current Ranger Medic do you have any suggestions or advice?
We have future soldiers who have earned both 11X and 68W option 40 enlistment contracts. Please read some of the SITREPs in the letters from school thread. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

Roger, Ranger Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

He>I, any new developments?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

Ranger Jim,

I spoke to a recruiter last week and plan on taking the ASVAB on Thursday.

He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

Rangers,

I completed the ASVAB yesterday and scored an AFQT of 97 with a 137 GT. The hours of studying payed off. I'm meeting with a recruiter today to get a MEPS date.

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

He>I wrote:Rangers,

I completed the ASVAB yesterday and scored an AFQT of 97 with a 137 GT. The hours of studying payed off. I'm meeting with a recruiter today to get a MEPS date.
And what is your recruiter telling you now? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

I have completed MEPS and I am now waiting for paperwork concerning corrected vision to be approved. I'm expecting to hear from my recruiter any day now.

My last PT test was 80 PU, 80 SU and a 13:30 2 mile. My ruck times have vastly improved. I can maintain a 12:30 to 13:00 minute pace over easy terrain and a 13:30 cross country for at least 8 miles. I am still working my way into increased distances.

Also, I have decided to go the 18X route.

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

He>I wrote:I have completed MEPS and I am now waiting for paperwork concerning corrected vision to be approved. I'm expecting to hear from my recruiter any day now.

My last PT test was 80 PU, 80 SU and a 13:30 2 mile. My ruck times have vastly improved. I can maintain a 12:30 to 13:00 minute pace over easy terrain and a 13:30 cross country for at least 8 miles. I am still working my way into increased distances.

Looks like you made your decision. Please let us know when you take your oath.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

PT update: Went for a 12 mile ruck with 50 lbs yesterday for a time of 2 hours and 29 minutes. I was able to maintain a 12:30 pace for the entire 12 miles. There was about 700ft of elevation throughout the course. I still have a lot of work to do, but I'm happy to see progress.

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

He>I wrote:I have completed MEPS and I am now waiting for paperwork concerning corrected vision to be approved. I'm expecting to hear from my recruiter any day now.

Explain in under 250 words how you came to this decision and what comparisons you've made for each unit. I'm curious why you'd just completely go back and forth, especially after the straight advice of Ranger Sinjefe who has served in both types of units and advised against it.

If your recruiter simply talked you into it then state that as well.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

cams wrote: Explain in under 250 words how you came to this decision and what comparisons you've made for each unit. I'm curious why you'd just completely go back and forth, especially after the straight advice of Ranger Sinjefe who has served in both types of units and advised against it.

Ranger Cams,

I made the decision to go 18x after speaking with an SF soldier that I met at Ft. Sam Houston a couple of months ago. He spoke very highly of the 18x program and kind of sold me. Although I'm attracted to the DA missions that are typical of the Ranger Regiment, I feel that my background and personality may make me a better fit for SF. Although I have read a few books on both the 75th Ranger Regiment and SF to get a better idea of each unit, I've never been in the militarily -much less SOF - so ultimately, this is a gut decision.

I flip flopped a couple of times because I was torn between my gut decision, and the feedback that I have received from the Rangers on this forum (which I truly value). Additionally, I met another former 18x candidate (who is currently an 18E) on a different forum that had very positive things to say about the 18x pipeline which further encouraged my decision.
sinjefe
Ranger

Post by sinjefe »

Explain in under 250 words how you came to this decision and what comparisons you've made for each unit. I'm curious why you'd just completely go back and forth, especially after the straight advice of Ranger Sinjefe who has served in both types of units and advised against it.

I told him something he didn't want to hear (that he wasn't mature enough). So, he shopped around asking 18Xs their opinions until he found those he liked.

What do you expect an 18X to say about 18Xs (rhetorical question)?

At the end of the day, as most off the street are like, he had a romantic view of SOF and wanted in whichever would take him v. Wanting to be a Ranger (or SF).
'82-'85 HHC, 1/75
'85-'87 101st Abn Div (AASLT)
'87-'89 9th Inf Div (MTZ)
'89-'02 7th SFG (A)
'02-'06 Advisor, Colombian Counter Narcotics JTF
'06-'08 JFK Special Warfare Center

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”