Intro - He>I

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

He>I
Embryo

Intro - He>I

Post by He>I »

Greetings Rangers and fellow forum members,

I have joined this excellent forum to glean all of the knowledge I possibly can. I am seeking an 18 xray contract or possibly an opt 40 contract within the next 6 months. I am 28 years old with a loving and supportive wife who is an amazing mother to our 3 month old son. Most of my adult life I have served as a missionary serving the poor and mentoring young men. I've always had a fire in my gut to walk the path of a warrior. Duty, honor, justice, sacrifice, and service are major personal values that navigate my life. After much thought, I've made the decision to pursue a position within the special operations community to serve our great Nation.

My current APFT scores are: 76 PU, 74 SU, 13:55 2 mile run, and 13 pull ups. (280 points in 17-21 age group). I have a lot of work to do in improving my physical fitness (especially my run times), but I am committed to putting in the effort.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro - He>I

Post by Jim »

He>I wrote:Greetings Rangers and fellow forum members,
I have joined this excellent forum to glean all of the knowledge I possibly can. I am seeking an 18 xray contract or possibly an opt 40 contract within the next 6 months. I am 28 years old with a loving and supportive wife who is an amazing mother to our 3 month old son. Most of my adult life I have served as a missionary serving the poor and mentoring young men. I've always had a fire in my gut to walk the path of a warrior. Duty, honor, justice, sacrifice, and service are major personal values that navigate my life. After much thought, I've made the decision to pursue a position within the special operations community to serve our great Nation.
My current APFT scores are: 76 PU, 74 SU, 13:55 2 mile run, and 13 pull ups. (280 points in 17-21 age group). I have a lot of work to do in improving my physical fitness (especially my run times), but I am committed to putting in the effort.
Welcome He-I, If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Please tell us more about yourself. Why do you want to join Special Operations Forces? Do you speak / write in a foreign language? Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Welcome to the site. What's your deciding factor(s) on choosing Regiment over SF or vice versa? Do you want to be an 11B or a something else (eg maybe a Chaplain's assistant in your case)? Good luck and never quit!
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

Ranger Jim,

Thank you for welcoming me to this site. I would like to join the special operations community to serve our nation in the highest most impacting way. With the potential for new conflicts that our country could possibly be getting involved in, I would like to play my part and offer my best. Also, I seek the brotherhood and the warrior way of life. In summation, Although it's difficult to articulate, I feel that SOF is a part of my calling and an environment that I can live out my values. I feel that I am responding to a personal high calling from the Almighty the same way I was called to missions.

I do not fluently speak or write in a foreign language although I have some competency in Spanish.
He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

Ranger Sledge Hammer,

Thank you for welcoming me to the site as well. At the moment I feel that SF may better suite my background in missions and working with different cultures. If for some reason I am unable to obtain an 18x contract, I have no problem accepting or pursuing an Opt 40 11b or 68w. I have an immense amount of respect for the Regiment and the men that serve in the Regiment. After reading Violence of Action, The Reaper, and Lest We Forget, I would be honored to earn a place in the Regiment (although I am currently leaning towards SF). At this point, I would prefer a more kinetic role than Chaplain's Assistant. Thank you for reaching out, Ranger Sledge Hammer.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

He>I wrote:Ranger Jim,
Thank you for welcoming me to this site. I would like to join the special operations community to serve our nation in the highest most impacting way. With the potential for new conflicts that our country could possibly be getting involved in, I would like to play my part and offer my best. Also, I seek the brotherhood and the warrior way of life. In summation, Although it's difficult to articulate, I feel that SOF is a part of my calling and an environment that I can live out my values. I feel that I am responding to a personal high calling from the Almighty the same way I was called to missions.
I do not fluently speak or write in a foreign language although I have some competency in Spanish.
A couple things to consider:
a. As a series 18, you will be expected to be proficient in a foreign language to serve on an "A" team.
b. As a series 18, you spend much of your time in training (schooling, etc.), rather than direct action.
c. My experience has been that most entry-level series 18, tend to lack maturity.
d. SOF includes both Ranger Regiment and Special Forces Groups.
So, I'm wondering what your recruiter has been telling you.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

Ranger Jim,

Thank you for your insight. I have weighed and considered your words heavily over the last few days. Although I do not feel that maturity will be an issue for me (in both the missions field and the corporate world, I have been consistently placed in leadership positions due to exhibited maturity), I am however reconsidering my initial decision to enlist under the 18 xray contract. I would feel very privileged to be molded by the Regiment as a new recruit. I have much to consider, in the mean time, I will continue to train to the best of my abilities.
sinjefe
Ranger

Post by sinjefe »

Jim wrote:
He>I wrote:Ranger Jim,
A couple things to consider:
a. As a series 18, you will be expected to be proficient in a foreign language to serve on an "A" team.
b. As a series 18, you spend much of your time in training (schooling, etc.), rather than direct action.
c. My experience has been that most entry-level series 18, tend to lack maturity.
d. SOF includes both Ranger Regiment and Special Forces Groups.
So, I'm wondering what your recruiter has been telling you.
^^^^^
a. Yep.
b. Boil down to its most common denominator, SF train AND THEN LEAD / ADVISE, foreign friendly forces (COIN) or Irregular Forces (UW), in combat operations focusing at Infantry battalion operations. So, you MAY do DA but, if done doctrinally correct, it would be the foreign force conducting DA and SF accompanying them as mentors / advisors. Thus the reason one needs to be an expert on FM 3-21.8 (Infantry Platoon and Squad), FM 3-21.10 (Infantry Company) and FM 3-21.20 (Infantry Battalion)
c. Absolutely agree. I would NEVER recommend someone come in off the street and go into SF. Not mature and not experienced enough. See above.
d. Army SOF is actually those two and CA, PSYOPs and SO Aviation
'82-'85 HHC, 1/75
'85-'87 101st Abn Div (AASLT)
'87-'89 9th Inf Div (MTZ)
'89-'02 7th SFG (A)
'02-'06 Advisor, Colombian Counter Narcotics JTF
'06-'08 JFK Special Warfare Center
He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

Ranger Sinjefe,

Thank you for your insight. You have brought further clarity in my decision making process. I intend on pursuing an Opt 40 contract this Fall. The Regiment is where I want to be. If all goes well, maybe I'll drop a packet for SFAS a few years down the line. Right now, I'm putting my heart and soul into preparing for RASP.
sinjefe
Ranger

Post by sinjefe »

You're thinking too far in the future. My first duty assignment was 1/75. I enjoyed the hell out of it and it definitely "framed" the remainder of my military career. I left and did other things in the Army before I decided to go SF. I enjoyed the hell out of that too, but I never came in the Army thinking about it. I came in the Army to be a Ranger.
'82-'85 HHC, 1/75
'85-'87 101st Abn Div (AASLT)
'87-'89 9th Inf Div (MTZ)
'89-'02 7th SFG (A)
'02-'06 Advisor, Colombian Counter Narcotics JTF
'06-'08 JFK Special Warfare Center
He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

Roger, Ranger Sinjefe.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

sinjefe wrote:You're thinking too far in the future. My first duty assignment was 1/75. I enjoyed the hell out of it and it definitely "framed" the remainder of my military career. I left and did other things in the Army before I decided to go SF. I enjoyed the hell out of that too, but I never came in the Army thinking about it. I came in the Army to be a Ranger.
Agree with this 100%. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, He>I.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
He>I
Embryo

Post by He>I »

CharlieRanger1FFV wrote:Welcome to the site, He>I.

RLTW!!!
Thank you for the welcome, Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV, glad to be here.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Have you been in contact with an Army recruiter? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”