Should I ship right now, or wait?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Brenms
Embryo

Should I ship right now, or wait?

Post by Brenms »

Hi, I'm a 21 year old from Georgia, and am currently a college sophomore . I've been in the talks with a recruiter for a while, but haven't signed the dotted line just yet. I'm headed off to Alaska this summer for about 2 months for a fishing job, and won't have a lot of time to train as most work days will be about 16 hours long. So the question is, should I try and ship off to OSUT right after I get back from Alaska, or should I go to school for another semester and train back up to recover from the time off of my training routine? I'd be grateful for any advice from someone who's been there and done that, as I'm not exactly familiar with the physical conditioning that goes on during OSUT and Pre-RASP.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20160115

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Should I ship right now, or wait?

Post by centermass »

**Topic Locked**

Locked until you follow our rules and post an introduction first.

Once you do, one of us will give you the green light to proceed.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

* * Topic reopened * *

Introduction made.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Why not finish your degree? Unless it is PoliSci you will likely regret it in the future.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

This question has been asked many times, both here on this board and elsewhere.

The military will always be there. Get your education finished. Then, go see the world.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Brenms
Embryo

Post by Brenms »

Rangers, It is not a matter of finishing my degree. I am currently at a community college and was planning on transferring to UGA for my last two years. I would prefer to use the G.I. bill for the remainder of my education and for an MBA so that I can be debt free. So basically what I'm asking is, should I take an extra semester to train back up from the training time that I will lose while in Alaska, or would that just be a waste of time?

Many thanks,
Brendan
11X OPT 40

RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Brenms wrote:Rangers, It is not a matter of finishing my degree. I am currently at a community college and was planning on transferring to UGA for my last two years. I would prefer to use the G.I. bill for the remainder of my education and for an MBA so that I can be debt free. So basically what I'm asking is, should I take an extra semester to train back up from the training time that I will lose while in Alaska, or would that just be a waste of time?

Many thanks,
Brendan
Assuming you live in GA, what community college do you attend?

No matter what, I would strongly recommend you finish out your bachelors. And don't expect the MBA to be a golden ticket anymore, it's not the differentiator it used to be. Keep in mind they aren't cheap so you will need as much of that GI Bill as possible there.

So a solid plan to spend less money on college in GA. Determine exactly what courses you need for the degree you are pursuing now. Finish out ALL of the courses required that are available at your community college. If it's actually possible to finish your bachelors at the CC, then burn down everything but about 1-2 semesters there, then transfer to UGA. If the CC doesn't have everything, move up to Georgia State and repeat - burn down everything you can toward the BA you are trying to achieve. Again, if it's possible to complete it, keep some stuff you need to take at UGA for 1-2 semesters.

The thing is, your degree will reflect the school you graduate from, not all the ones you attended up until that point. In the long run you'll save many thousands of dollars.

Starting back up mid-stream on your BA after taking a break is a LOT harder than you can realize. Especially a break like the one you are proposing. As stated before, wrap up your degree then pursue the Army. It will still be there in a couple years and at the rate things are going in the world, it will be just as "exciting" as it is today.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Brenms
Embryo

Post by Brenms »

RangerX wrote:Assuming you live in GA, what community college do you attend?
Thanks a lot for the Response RangerX and Ranger Schibbs. RangerX, I'm currently attending Georgia Highlands in Cartersville. The highest degree I can get here is an associates, then I have to transfer to a four year institution. Right now I have about 50 credits, and 60 will get me my associates. I was going to transfer to UGA, finish up my degree there, and then try to get into Columbia University for my MBA. My goal is to work in finance (i.e. banking, private equity), and a few people I know on Wall Street told me to enlist before I finish the last two years of undergrad, so that I don't forget all of the accounting and finance subjects. Plus, I don't really have the funds available to go to UGA at the moment. HOPE scholarship only pays for tuition (fees and books make up most of the cost nowadays), and housing is super expensive up there in Athens.

Thanks again for the replies,
Brendan
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Have you made contact with an Army recruiter?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Brenms
Embryo

Post by Brenms »

Jim wrote:Have you made contact with an Army recruiter?
Ranger Jim, I have been talking with a recruiter for quite a while now. I have already taken the ASVAB and finished most of the paperwork.
11X OPT 40

PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Do the Alaska gig, go back to school, finish the Associate's, train up in the process, enlist, go Ranger, use GI Bill, get Bachelors, get Masters, profit.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Brenms
Embryo

Post by Brenms »

PocketKings wrote:Do the Alaska gig, go back to school, finish the Associate's, train up in the process, enlist, go Ranger, use GI Bill, get Bachelors, get Masters, profit.
This is what I was thinking. Thanks for your input Ranger PocketKings.
11X OPT 40

Return to “The Mosh Pit”