RS Sitrep- elgecko

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
elgecko
Ranger

RS Sitrep- elgecko

Post by elgecko »

Merry Christmas Rangers! I left for RS rather suddenly and didn't have a chance to update anyone on my status before heading off to SURT. Right now I am on Christmas exodus between Mountains and Florida (perfect timing!) so I have a chance to provide some details on what it was like, in case that helps someone after me prepare.

I was originally supposed to leave for RS in August but issues with my GTC held that up for a while. By the time my GTC was fixed E Co only had one slot and an NCO was scheduled to go instead of me. Long story short, I crushed everybody in the PT test and they took one of the slots from the line companies. Lesson learned: stay motivated and do what is necessary to make things happen for you.

SURT was extremely instructive and opened my eyes regarding how little I knew about battle drills (and I was already pretty aware of it). The cadre were professional and genuinely invested in our preparation for RS. Which is probably why making the switch to Darby sucked so much...

RAP Week and Darby. They weren't as physically demanding as I expected but probably 10x more mentally draining. The cadre are focused on weeding out the quitters and that means a billion stupid little games. It works though, I'll give them that. Not only does it get people to quit, it highlights the guys who are in it for themselves and drag the overall team down. I was EXTREMELY blessed to be in an super-focused squad (the whole squad made it to mountains) and all each man cared about was helping the next guy earn his go. Obviously this isn't the norm; I saw a lot of division and contention in the squads around me. Even with their support, there were times in Darby that I couldn't remember why I was there. It felt like it was dragging on and I felt disenfranchised with RS and I just couldn't see why I was away from my family for it. It took some introspection but I found a new source of motivation (can't beat the propay!) to get me through the stupidity.

Mountains. The mountaineering was fun and the breakfast was filling. The FTX was pretty challenging and again I relied heavily on the guys in my squad for help. All the RI's will tell you that you don't earn your own tab and it's absolutely true. Obviously being a cook means I showed up with a different training background than the line and IBOLC guys but I made myself valuable by volunteering for everything I could and learning how to make terrain models. I peered at 75% in Darby and 77% in Mountains; not amazing but far from being in danger of being peered out.

So far it's been 2 up, 2 down and with Christmas exodus I will show up to Florida healthy and rested, ready to knock it out. Graduation is Jan 23, I will let you all know how it goes! Have a great Christmas!
Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.
-Virgil

E Co, 2/75
RS 2-15
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: RS Sitrep- elgecko

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Good Sitrep, Elgecko . . .Keep them coming when time allows.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Great job so far Elgecko. Stay focused and don't do anything stupid on Christmas break. I'm glad I didn't have a Christmas break, I don't know if I would have gone back. :lol: Eat lots of good food and stay in shape. Merry Christmas.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Elgecko, you have come a long way in a short time. Keep up your PT during the Exodus. Let me warn you that your first day back will be a PT nightmare! Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
elgecko
Ranger

Post by elgecko »

Graduation was on Friday and it feels great to be back at home! Florida was a great experience, it really solidified what I learned in Mountains. Having the exodus break was a blessing and a curse, though, because even though we were rested and well fed many guys came back distracted. Our platoon was the best in the battalion through Darby and Mountains but during Florida we were one of the worst. The Ranger School weather machine was working in fine order for the duration of our FTX, it seemed the weather turned colder and wetter every day. One guy actually LOM'd rather than jump into the FTX; it's hard to imagine throwing away everything it took to get to that point. I found that being one of the older guys in the class had its pros and cons. I knew how to handle the stress better because of life experience but of course my body was breaking down at a faster rate (or so it seemed...). Either way, I'm finished and I have my tab to prove it! Thanks to everyone on the site for providing support, information, and encouragement along the way!
Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.
-Virgil

E Co, 2/75
RS 2-15
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

elgecko wrote:Graduation was on Friday and it feels great to be back at home! Florida was a great experience, it really solidified what I learned in Mountains. Having the exodus break was a blessing and a curse, though, because even though we were rested and well fed many guys came back distracted. Our platoon was the best in the battalion through Darby and Mountains but during Florida we were one of the worst. The Ranger School weather machine was working in fine order for the duration of our FTX, it seemed the weather turned colder and wetter every day. One guy actually LOM'd rather than jump into the FTX; it's hard to imagine throwing away everything it took to get to that point. I found that being one of the older guys in the class had its pros and cons. I knew how to handle the stress better because of life experience but of course my body was breaking down at a faster rate (or so it seemed...). Either way, I'm finished and I have my tab to prove it! Thanks to everyone on the site for providing support, information, and encouragement along the way!
Excellent SITREP, Ranger elgecko. Don't forget to update your signature with your RS class. We will expect more from you now.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

elgecko wrote:Graduation was on Friday and it feels great to be back at home! Florida was a great experience, it really solidified what I learned in Mountains. Having the exodus break was a blessing and a curse, though, because even though we were rested and well fed many guys came back distracted. Our platoon was the best in the battalion through Darby and Mountains but during Florida we were one of the worst. The Ranger School weather machine was working in fine order for the duration of our FTX, it seemed the weather turned colder and wetter every day. One guy actually LOM'd rather than jump into the FTX; it's hard to imagine throwing away everything it took to get to that point. I found that being one of the older guys in the class had its pros and cons. I knew how to handle the stress better because of life experience but of course my body was breaking down at a faster rate (or so it seemed...). Either way, I'm finished and I have my tab to prove it! Thanks to everyone on the site for providing support, information, and encouragement along the way!
Fuckin A. It's good to know you got your shit.

When you get a chance, please adjust your sigline and add your class date.

RLTW,

CM
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Outstanding, great job driving on. Get yourself a jar of peanut butter, take a couple extra naps to catch up and then give the boys at 2nd Batt hell. Great job once again. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux

Return to “Letters from School”