Introduction: Logan

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

canthinkofone
Embryo

Introduction: Logan

Post by canthinkofone »

Hey Rangers, (I'm hoping this is the right place to post first)

My name is Logan, I'm 29, married with 3 kids. I have my spot reserved as a 12Y with option 40 and am waiting on my dependency waiver to go through. As of now, I'm shipping in February barring anything going wrong. My AIT is 18 weeks long.

I co-owned a residential concrete business for 6 years then became a commercial insurance agent for about a year when I decided to become a doctor. It took me 3 years to finally convince myself I didn't want to become a doctor. I have wanted to join the Army for years and It took one trip to the 9/11 memorial about two years back to cement my desire. It's just not the most popular choice when it comes to my family and friends but at 29 I realized it's now or never and I didn't want to look back at my life and wish I would've joined. So here I am jumping in head first.

My recruiting process has lasted about a year for reasons that aren't worth getting into. Sufficeth to say, I'm here now and couldn't be more excited or motivated.

I'm not entirely sure what a 12Y would do in the Regiment so if anyone can enlighten me or has any knowledge on their mission scope that would be great.

Keep in mind, as of March of 2014 I was 225 and completely out of shape. I hadn't stepped foot in a gym in at least 6 years and as of yesterday I weigh 179.

My self assessed PT score from Oct 30th:

Push-ups: 55
Sit-ups:67
2Mile:15:37
Dead hang Pull-ups: 8
Dead hang chin-ups: 11

My goals by Rasp:
90+ push ups and situps
Under 13:15 for 2 Mile run.
20 pull-ups and chin ups.

I've neevr been this motivated to achieve something in my life and I can't wait to get going.

Thanks!
12Y OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20150209

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction: Logan

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Logan. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Tell us more about yourself? Why do you want to be a Ranger? What is your ship date? Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. You have established a PT baseline to build on. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ginger
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ginger »

Welcome Logan!

PM Inbound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20150713

canthinkofone
Embryo

Post by canthinkofone »

Jim wrote:Welcome, Logan. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Tell us more about yourself? Why do you want to be a Ranger? What is your ship date? Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. You have established a PT baseline to build on. Never, never quit!
Ranger Jim,

I'm from Arizona and My ship date is February 9th. I've been scouring the threads and they've been extremely helpful. I hadn't thought of being a Ranger, mainly because I wasn't familiar with the process. I had always wanted to do Intel for guys at the "tip of the spear" and didn't quite know how the process worked. I thought it was something that you try to get after 4-5 years in. When the option 40 came up and my recruiter explained to me what it was I called my wife and spoke with her about it. She said, "It sounds exactly like everything you've wanted to do, go for it." I love the standard they hold themselves to and strive for greatness each day. I look forward continuing the process.

Once again if anyone has any particular insight to a 12Y, I haven't been able to find very much in searching the threads.

Thanks.
12Y OPT 40

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Logan.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Your ambition is admirable, but it appears from your own summary of your background that you have had a number of career choices that did not last.

If you really want to be a Ranger, you have to want it more than anything you have ever done. You will not get there by trying hard or making an effort. All the dummies in Basic who will make you look good will be gone by the first day at RASP. Everyone there will be at least as fit and as prepared as you are, but many will not make it.

I rarely write this much for Future Soldier introductions, but your intro with all your tried and failed career choices caught my attention. Your self-described checkered past makes me wonder how much determination you really have.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
canthinkofone
Embryo

Post by canthinkofone »

Ranger Lefty,

You're concerns are warranted and I appreciate your response. Without knowing me and reading my background I can see your viewpoint and why you'd be concerned. At this point in my life I see that my choices have led me to be exactly where I want to be and finally knowing what I want to do now. I can't be faulted for realizing it at a later age.

My motivation is unwavering since I've decided to join over a year ago and I've never felt this sure of something my whole life.

Thanks.
12Y OPT 40

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome Logan, as Ranger Lefty says, this commitment that you're making is not to be taken lightly. Once you start on this journey you must be committed to continuing on until the end, no stopping, no quitting, no turning back. Only those who truly want it, stay focused and persevere to the end will make it to be Rangers. It is not an easy road, but it is a worth while road. Never weaken, and never, ever quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

OK first as Ranger Lefty has already made note of you have a spotty past of career choices. I will be the first to admit that I am no one to talk. I switched careers a few times in my day however I also have 7 more years on you. That being said I will give you my 2 cents as an "old guy" going through. I left for Basic training on my 34th birthday. I am married and have 4 kids so yes I needed the waiver as well. Understand that as tough as this will be on you, it will be on your family as well. I hope that you have laid it all out in black and white to your wife and any children that are old enough to understand. If you do not have their support and their commitment you will lose them as well through this journey. I am sure you can ask around at the many stories there are. My wife had to sell our house, pack it up not once but twice, while juggling the kids and helping them adjust to the "new" life all alone. I was not around to help with any of it. That is a sobering thought for many. I am extremely lucky that I have a very supportive wife who can handle shit on her own. She manages the finances and everything else. Not easy to find someone like that. Military life will throw many curve balls your way. Looking back there are things I may have done different had I known then what I know now. Not for me or my career but for my families sake. You have a different set of responsibilities as a father and husband. Remember that. So when life is sucking because you are in Basic or AIT or sucking shit at Cole Range in RASP remember who is giving up more than you are. You are following your dream, your career, and they are following you and giving up more than you could possibly imagine.

As a 12Y what would you do in the "Big Army"?? Do you know?? If not research it and when you think you have the answer do some more. I am not being smart either. I get a ton of guys who have no idea what they were getting themselves into. When I ask well didn't you look up what was ahead of you I get a blank stare. I expect that from 18-20 yr olds. I wouldn't dare expect that from a 29 year old who has a family. You better have your shit squared away and have as much an idea of what you are going to do as possible. I will tell you I spent 5 min and came up with a fairly good idea of your responsibilities. Remember Ranger Regiment is not some unit that you do not do what your MOS is. If it was why would they bother wasting time to send you. You are just more skilled at your job, you will receive more training in your job, but you will still do your job. With your job you will probably get to shoot more than any other big Army unit and get more opportunities for schools. That is to your advantage however that comes at a cost. That is the high optempo. If you don't know what that is then find out. To any 18-20ish year old that makes very little difference, again being someone who was in your shoes this is something that HH6 needs to be aware of and ok with. This is not meant to bash you or anything along those lines, this is simple reality. Make sure you are not getting smoke blown at you and that you are not blowing smoke anywhere else. On top of that continue to improve your PT. You will not recover as fast as some of the young fuckers and that will work against you especially in RASP, so you have to learn how to work and push yourself smarter.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Probably one of the wisest posts directly above mine from someone who knows first hand, has something in common with you and is current.

I would suggest you read it again several times and make sure what Ranger Grim is saying, sinks in completely.

Then, take a step back and give it some thought.

If at that point, you're not 100% sure or there's some hesitation, just the least little bit, no matter how small, I would rethink your future in its entirety.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
canthinkofone
Embryo

Post by canthinkofone »

Ranger Centermass,

I agree with you completely. I'm 100% on my decision to become a 12Y in the Ranger Regiment. My decision is unwavering.

I've addressed to Ranger grim666 through a PM much of what he addressed. I do know what a 12Y does does, in fact, I've researched every bit of information I'm able to get my hands on. So far as studying the actual programs I'll be using when it comes to mapping. I was just curious to what they do when it comes to being in the regiment. That's all. I can see how my question made it seem that I hadn't done any research. That's my fault.

Right now, I am just taking things one step at a time. Improving my PT scores, finishing boot camp, passing AIT, Airborne school and then finally RASP. I've read through so much of this site and am learning so much and its motivating that much more.

Thanks.
12Y OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

OK, Logan, now begin working on your Mentees task-list. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
canthinkofone
Embryo

Post by canthinkofone »

Rangers,

I officially swore in last week. It feels great to have it all in writing.

I'm working on my task list and keeping up with PT.
I'll update as I progress more.
12Y OPT 40

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”