Familial Ramifications

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerX
Ranger

Re: Familial Ramifications

Post by RangerX »

Be your own man. Your parents will get over it. If they don't, you will.

Parents will almost always choose what is safe for their child over what is right. Only you can determine what is right.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Yup. Gotta cut that umbilical cord someday bud.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

And they'll likely support and love you after you've made your choice.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

Now, I understand where you are coming from, because my parents and the rest of my family seem to think that what I wish to do is purely idiotic. They've gone as far as to say that they will have no contact with me, should I go.

What you do in life will reflect your true sense of character, and is ultimately your decision. It is your life, and you are the one who is charged with it at the end.

Hope this helped some. RLTW!
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

RangerX wrote:Be your own man. Your parents will get over it. If they don't, you will.

Parents will almost always choose what is safe for their child over what is right. Only you can determine what is right.
^^THIS^^

You're in your 20's, correct?

Also, unless your father was on the ground that day when Pat Tillman (As some of our members here were) was killed, he has the "Fluff and Buff" whitewash version of the events that tragically unfolded.

Do you have any idea how many times something like that could happen and doesn't? That's why the Regiment trains the way it does. It's the reason it has the standards that all members have to maintain. It's also the reason there's nothing else like it.

To say it will never happen is unrealistic. Ranger training for combat alone, is dangerous as it is, not to mention combat itself. I can guarantee you that if you apply yourself and succeed, you will get and receive the best training possible and available. The same goes for the leadership.

Be your own man, stand on your own 2 feet and decide what it is that YOU want to do. And if you're going to do it, DO IT FOR YOURSELF. Not anyone else, and not for the reasons of to make a point, get even, delusions of grandeur, etc etc. Do it because in your heart, IT'S WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, NOT FOR ANYONE ELSE.

Ranger KW Driver also made an important point.
KW Driver wrote:they'll likely support and love you after you've made your choice.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Don't mean to pile on, BUT.........if you do not follow through on your own goals, you will have a lifetime to regret it and wish you had done differently.

As far as the hazards - there is a simple comparison: The first US death due to war was in 1775. The first US death from an auto accident was in 1895. Sources differ, but through 2010 about 1,314,000 Americans had been killed in war. US auto accident deaths reached and surpassed the 1.3 million mark in 1953. It only took 58 years for the American automobile to accomplish what took 235 years of US history to accomplish. The most dangerous place in the world remains the US highway.

Edit to add: US highway deaths had reached 3,240,140 thru 2003. Think about it.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

My father was a draftee in WWII. He was a replacement in mid 1944, in 1-26 INF, 1ID. He hated the Army and resented it taking him away from his home and family. I enlisted in 1965 and was fortunate enough to also serve in 1-26. When I earned my CIB, I asked the First Sergeant to present me with his WWII CIB. As an aside, in WWII, the issued CIB was sterling silver, by Viet-Nam it was base metal. After the Tet Offence in 1968, I was med-evaced to Walter Reed. My father asked, isn't it time for you to get out and get a job. I explained that I planned to stay in the Army. His comment was, "you have done some stupid things in your life, but this takes the cake." Years later, When he died, I buried him and it reinforced that I made the right decision. I see your issue as being generational. When life runs right; sons bury their fathers. It is a family tragedy when fathers bury their sons.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

fireguy1 wrote:Now, I understand where you are coming from, because my parents and the rest of my family seem to think that what I wish to do is purely idiotic. They've gone as far as to say that they will have no contact with me, should I go.

What you do in life will reflect your true sense of character, and is ultimately your decision. It is your life, and you are the one who is charged with it at the end.

STFU. You've been spoken to already by other Rangers. If you want to converse with other DEP's do it privately.

You are not a Ranger. Leave the "RLTW" to those that have earned it, lest you risk confusing other DEP's here that you are something you are not.

UnFuck yourself quickly.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

cams wrote:
fireguy1 wrote:Now, I understand where you are coming from, because my parents and the rest of my family seem to think that what I wish to do is purely idiotic. They've gone as far as to say that they will have no contact with me, should I go.

STFU. You've been spoken to already by other Rangers. If you want to converse with other DEP's do it privately.

You are not a Ranger. Leave the "RLTW" to those that have earned it, lest you risk confusing other DEP's here that you are something you are not.

UnFuck yourself quickly.
Roger, Ranger cams.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, BobDub, what are your thoughts now?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Before you answer, Let me throw my 2 sheckels in the mix..

I was in the National Guard for 6 years before I went on active duty and into the Ranger Regiment. Just before I shipped, they had the 4 Ranger students die in Florida phase of Ranger school. The day it made the news my father called me to ask if I had heard about it. Obviously, I had. He asked me, "..and you still want to go do this? Don't you think it is a little dangerous?" What could I say? Of course I thought it would be dangerous, but I was still determined to go. Something in me wanted, no needed to be there. All he could do was hope for the best. Remember, this was the pre-9/11-Clinton years. The biggest thing that happened at the time was Somalia.

If you really must do it, your parents will understand. If it helps put them at ease, remind him that they have the best medics on the planet-bar none. If you get wounded and aren't so grievously injured that you will succumb to your wounds? If there is any chance at all of saving you? The medics of the Ranger Regiment will do it. This is no bullshit. I can say this with 100% certainty. Tell your parents that they are, without question, the most highly skilled medics in the military. Period.

You might also want to remind your parents that fratricide happens no matter what unit you will be in. As long as people have been throwing rocks and sticks at each other, somebody will miss and hit the wrong person. It is one of the ugly costs of war. And even knowing of the Tillman-incident, were my son to say he was going to try to get into the Ranger Regiment, I would still have no reservations. Having been there myself, and seeing first-hand the level they are trained to, I would trust any Ranger, current or former, with my life and those of my loved ones.

Bottom line, you have to do this for you and no one else. YOU are the one who has to wake up and look at yourself in the mirror.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “The Mosh Pit”