Help exposing a poser

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

loctavius
Embryo

Help exposing a poser

Post by loctavius »

Hi there. I'm a fellow Army vet. Not a Ranger tho. I'll post details later, but for now I need to know one thing: Which forum should I post in to get help exposing a potential poser claiming to have been a Ranger? Also, should I post his full name or just the story? Thanks in advance.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Help exposing a poser

Post by rangertough »

Don't do a thing until you post an intro in the appropriate forum.
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Unlocked.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
loctavius
Embryo

Post by loctavius »

Thanks for unlocking me. So, where should I post this? I don't want to violate site protocol again.

I'm hoping that someone has the ability to check some kind of records and tell me if he was ever a Ranger. If not, I'm hoping someone can direct me to maybe a lesser known resource.

Long story short, this guy is taking advantage of my cousin, who is grieving from losing her husband in an accident. I am 99% certain he is lying, I just don't have a way to prove it. I also don't know if I have enough information to file a FOIA request for his records, which would prove everything.

They live on one coast, and I live on the other. So I have no way to confront him, interview him or gather evidence.

Thanks for the help in advance folks, it is much appreciated.
loctavius
Embryo

Post by loctavius »

Bump? Which forum should this go in please?

Also, do the Rangers have anyone who can verify names, kind of like Don Shipley does for fake SEAL's?

Again, I don't want to violate site protocol again, so I'm bumping this until I know.

Finally, when I do post all the details, should I post the full name of the guy?

Thanks in advance for the help.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

loctavius wrote:Bump? Which forum should this go in please?

Also, do the Rangers have anyone who can verify names, kind of like Don Shipley does for fake SEAL's?

Again, I don't want to violate site protocol again, so I'm bumping this until I know.

Finally, when I do post all the details, should I post the full name of the guy?

Thanks in advance for the help.
OK. Here's the deal. We take Poser accusations very seriously here if it involves crime (s) of any sort, fraud, ill gotten gains or confirming someones status if it involves confirmation for some very specific reasons.

What you've got going on with your sister, who is now a widow, and some guy, is obviously trying to fluff his feathers to impress her. Correct? Maybe he is trying to take advantage of her situation, maybe not. maybe he's the real deal, maybe not. The problem is if she likes the guy for whatever reason, even if you're blood to her, she more than likely isn't going to listen one way or another. I'd be more concerned about this guy having a felonious background and a long rap sheet before I'd even give a rats ass about any Ranger claims.

You can do an FOIA with NPRC just like any of us can. What I would be doing however, before anything else, is a back ground check on this dude first before anything else. And before you do, make sure you have something solid to start with, such as a DOB, last 4 of his SSN, places lived etc. to make sure if his last name is Smith, you've got the right "Smith" and not someone else.

Once you do that, if something comes back as a red flag, we'll take this further.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

If you notice, we have a thread on exposed posers. Centermass' comments are spot on.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
loctavius
Embryo

Post by loctavius »

centermass wrote:
OK. Here's the deal. We take Poser accusations very seriously here if it involves crime (s) of any sort, fraud, ill gotten gains or confirming someones status if it involves confirmation for some very specific reasons.

What you've got going on with your sister, who is now a widow, and some guy, is obviously trying to fluff his feathers to impress her. Correct? Maybe he is trying to take advantage of her situation, maybe not. maybe he's the real deal, maybe not. The problem is if she likes the guy for whatever reason, even if you're blood to her, she more than likely isn't going to listen one way or another. I'd be more concerned about this guy having a felonious background and a long rap sheet before I'd even give a rats ass about any Ranger claims.

You can do an FOIA with NPRC just like any of us can. What I would be doing however, before anything else, is a back ground check on this dude first before anything else. And before you do, make sure you have something solid to start with, such as a DOB, last 4 of his SSN, places lived etc. to make sure if his last name is Smith, you've got the right "Smith" and not someone else.

Once you do that, if something comes back as a red flag, we'll take this further.
I appreciate the response.

Again, I was hoping someone had access to something along the lines of Don Shipley exposing fake SEAL's - I didn't know if the Ranger community had something like that. We tried calling Ft. Benning with no luck.

I"ve done as much as I can at this point, which is why I came to you guys hoping you could help. I thought if I provided a name (which seems to be fairly uncommon) that you could find out. You guys are kind of my last shot here.

* This guy is living with my widowed cousin. I don't know her. I do know my aunt, and she is worried about her.
* The claims about his service have come second hand to me, so details may be inaccurate. However, he is claiming some stuff that does not jive at all.
* As soon as my aunt started poking around, he shut down. He won't return calls, emails, etc. So he is hiding something.
* I do not have enough information to file a FOIA with NPRC. I can not get it now that he has caught on to us.
* He has a suspended contractors license in the state he lives in (on the other coast from me). He owes thousands of dollars in fines for different reasons. My aunt said "This explains why he can't get a job." I took screenshots of all that when I found it.
* Since I don't know the guy, I don't know if he it taking advantage of things or committing crimes. My aunt says that he does get military discounts when he goes to places though. So I don't know if he is showing a valid VA card or what. He may be a vet who is posing as a Ranger.

So, I'm trying to nail this guy down so that at the very least my aunt knows what she is dealing with here. I know she is hoping that if she can expose this guy that my cousin will kick him to the curb. I don't know - she took up with him pretty quickly, probably because she is grieving.

If you tell me you can't help, I'll leave and let you guys be. From an old ADA guy, thanks to all of you for your service!
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Guess you missed the tidbit I posted earlier.

Get a back ground check done FIRST. Not by you just googling, but A REAL BACK GROUND CHECK.

With a last name like Smith, if you don't have enough for an accurate back ground check, (Or an FOIA for that matter) neither do we.

I know you want answers. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's the reality of things.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”