SITREP - Kamber

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP - Kamber

Post by Jim »

I had my 28th birthday on a duce-and-a-half on the way to Mountain Camp. Maybe it's a good sign for you. Keep the SITREPS coming. Never, never quit!
Last edited by Jim on November 14th, 2013, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Good evening Rangers,

I am extremely proud to report that I have made it through SFAS and been selected.

Class 09-13
Selected: 18E/Mandarin/1st SFG(A)
(Subject to change based on the future needs of Regiment)

This was definitely the most challenging experience of my life. I learned a lot about myself, got my balls crushed, had a ton of fun, and got to meet some great people along the way.

I'm looking forward to starting the SFQC and continuing to make it happen one 25M target at a time.

- Kamber
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Kamber wrote:Good evening Rangers,

I am extremely proud to report that I have made it through SFAS and been selected.

Class 09-13
Selected: 18E/Mandarin/1st SFG(A)
(Subject to change based on the future needs of Regiment)

This was definitely the most challenging experience of my life. I learned a lot about myself, got my balls crushed, had a ton of fun, and got to meet some great people along the way.

I'm looking forward to starting the SFQC and continuing to make it happen one 25M target at a time.

- Kamber
Excellent SITREP. Please keep the good news coming; and never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Good morning Rangers,

Just a brief SITREP:

I'm currently still in hold at Ft. Bragg, waiting to attend CLT out at Camp Mackall. We've been told that the next class date for WLC/ALC will be 07 OCT. I will be continuing to PT and brush up on my Mandarin until then. (I've been encouraged to schedule an OPI as soon as I get to IUW, so as to secure my language assignment and begin recieving language pay)

I will be sure to post an update upon graduating WLC/ALC, which should be around the beginning of November sometime.

- Kamber
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Good morning Rangers,

I unfortunately have some bad news to report in my latest SITREP.

I sustained a dislocated left shoulder while conducting airborne operations out at Camp Mackall.

We conducted two MC-6 hollywood jumps during CLT; the was first from a UH-60, then we jumped Cossa two weeks later. On the latter jump, I landed hard on the FLS out at Luzon DZ and managed to knock my shoulder out of place from the rear to the front.

I was brought back to the Camp Mackall aid station where the PA attempted to perform a reduction, but decided it be best that I be sent to Moore County General to have them do it. Thankfully, they were able to relocate my shoulder in the ER without any complications and gave me a positive prognosis. I am to make a full recocery, aside from having to live with a Hill-Sachs lesion.

Currently, I am undergoing THOR-3 physical therapy and on profile until 05DEC2013. They have me working in the 2nd BN S3 shop while I heal up, and I should be reinserted into the next CLT class sometime in January.

Although a bit discouraging, I am taking this time to focus on properly healing up so I can get back in the fight and drive on. I'm definitely looking forward to finishing up CLT and progressing further through the SFQC.

- Kamber
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Kamber wrote:Good morning Rangers,

I unfortunately have some bad news to report in my latest SITREP.

I sustained a dislocated left shoulder while conducting airborne operations out at Camp Mackall.

We conducted two MC-6 hollywood jumps during CLT; the was first from a UH-60, then we jumped Cossa two weeks later. On the latter jump, I landed hard on the FLS out at Luzon DZ and managed to knock my shoulder out of place from the rear to the front.

I was brought back to the Camp Mackall aid station where the PA attempted to perform a reduction, but decided it be best that I be sent to Moore County General to have them do it. Thankfully, they were able to relocate my shoulder in the ER without any complications and gave me a positive prognosis. I am to make a full recocery, aside from having to live with a Hill-Sachs lesion.

Currently, I am undergoing THOR-3 physical therapy and on profile until 05DEC2013. They have me working in the 2nd BN S3 shop while I heal up, and I should be reinserted into the next CLT class sometime in January.

Although a bit discouraging, I am taking this time to focus on properly healing up so I can get back in the fight and drive on. I'm definitely looking forward to finishing up CLT and progressing further through the SFQC.

- Kamber
Lived through 7 dislocations and two surgeries on my left shoulder in 10 years. Then completed another 6 years Active. Your shoulders gonna hurt forever, but it wont stop you.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Roger Ranger Tough, that is some shit! Thank you for the encouragement; I will never quit.

- Kamber
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

The ranks of SOF, especially the Rangers, are littered with torn, dislocated, broken, and otherwise damaged parts. Although your particular model was discontinued after production (and therefore has no replacement parts available), it is still low mileage and has repairable parts. Later on, as you become a higher mileage model, you will find that those parts will tend to wear out from the accumulating mileage and become more difficult to repair. That is when maintenance becomes paramount, as you will not be able to replace any parts that become broken beyond repair. Be sure to repair parts properly and completely before going back on the road, and by all means extend your model's mileage by using the recommended fuels and fluids, having regular inspections, and keeping your model tuned correctly for the unexpected demands of high performance.

Good luck to you in your endeavors.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Lefty - that's hilarious.

I'm finding that I'm only good to part out at the ripe old age of 36. I have some worn, but servicable items left. Unfortunately for Kamber, my left shoulder is also jacked from dislocation and is likely not a good candidate for a swap out (though I'd offer it if I could).

Injuries happen and the Army knows it. Heal up, learn some stuff, make a good impression and it may end up being a good thing for you. Keep on keeping on.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Roger Ranger Lefty, thank you for the sound advice.

- Kamber
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Good evening Rangers,

I apologize for the late SITREP; I've been unable to access the forum via the TapaTalk application ever since switching to a new phone a little over a month ago. I've reset a few things, updated the firmware, and finally have it working again.

05DEC2013: Original profile expired, x-rays taken & evaluated by the PA at the aid station. He decided to give me an updated profile with amended restrictions, lasting a duration of 2 weeks.
19DEC2013: Extension profile expired, was told to return to aid station after Holiday Block Leave in order to obtain an RTD
05JAN2014: RTD obtained, cleared hot medically to resume training
09JAN2014: PT test taken & passed in order to clear Med-Section and return to AT

I should be getting moved back to the AT section sometime next week, depending on how long it takes for my SAS to get signed by the Colonel.

I'm very grateful to have made a full recovery and look forward to continuing mission. The next CLT class starts 27JAN2014. This is the one I'm hoping to attend; however, there are some rumors going around that the roster is already filled. If that's the case, I'd be going in the subsequent class which will most likely start sometime in early March. Either way, I'll be continuing to PT and improve my language skills until the time comes.

I will post another SITREP once I definitively find out when I'll be classing up. Also, happy belated new year to everyone.

- Kamber
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Good sitrep Kamber.
You hang in there and try not to let rumors thinking for you. Shit can change in a day and less often.

Remain focused on getting back into shape and your training ahead. And never, never quit.

I remember graduating BAC end of SEP '68 and receiving traveling pay $167.00 to Alaska. Next day we were all sent to the 82nd Airborne Division and for two months the traveling money was taken out of my pay. Shit happens.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent SITREP! Continue to make us proud.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Good evening Rangers,

I do apologize that it has been some 9 months since I last posted a SITREP. I sincerely hope that 2014 has been an excellent year for everyone thus far. As for myself, 2014 has been quite the adventure; I've learned some incredible things and shared in many amazing experiences with the greatest of brothers throughout my training.

I'll start where I left off.

I was not able to class up with the January CLT class, as all the slots were already filled by the time I made it back to AT. I ended up going to the next class which left in March. While there, I was able to learn a lot. The curriculum was not the "sexiest" of stuff, but highly important nonetheless. Moreover, the cadre out at CLT were extremely willing to share their previous experiences with us and answer any questions we may have had about Group (or just about anything else, for that matter). It was a very professionally taught course and I would say that I got a lot more out of it than I had expected to.

After completing CLT, I was promoted to E4 in April and subsequently handed over to IUW cadre for the next phase of training. The first time going through IUW, I was recycled during gate week due to failing to meet the 5-mile run standard. At the time, I was suffering from a bad upper respiratory infection. It actually knocked me on my ass and I wasn't able to shake it until some 3-4 weeks later. Luckily, there was a 6 week break between cycles and I was able to recover from it. I went on to pass all my gates without a problem the second time through. The IUW land navigation course was significantly more challenging than the SFAS STAR course; proper and careful route selection was paramount to being successful. I believe we started IUW with around 210 students. All told, we lost about 50 guys to gate week failure, land navigation failure, and various injuries, etc.

After completing IUW, I was handed over to SUT Cadre and awaited the start of the next class, which began on July 21st. SUT was an AMAZING learning experience for me. As an 18X with no prior combat experience, I truly learned the meaning of the phrase, "drinking from a fire hose". I was blessed to have had so many outstanding NCO's and Officers in my squad, as well as the author of the SUT handbook as one of my civilian cadre instructors. I learned a great deal over those 6 weeks; about myself, small unit tactics, and the men to my left and right. I'm proud to say that I was ranked the highest overall out of all the E5's and below in my squad, both by the cadre and my peers. I believe we started SUT with around 170 students, and about 120-130 of us made it through.

We got back from SUT on August 31st. Those of us that passed were split up into 2 SERE groups. The first group was to leave the following day. I was slotted for the second group, which classed up 2 weeks later on September 15th. We went, and just got back this past Friday. Wow, what an experience! I'd have to say that SERE was the best course I've attended thus far in my Army career. It was EXTREMELY well taught. Not a moment of time was wasted; every day was jam packed with learning new things, and I could not have asked for better instructors or training aids. I'm not going to say anything else about the course, so as not to spoil it for those who have yet to go.

Currently, I'm healing up from SERE and waiting to class up. We were handed over to MOS cadre yesterday and in-processed all our paperwork. The next Echo course picks up on October 20th; I'm beyond excited to get started. We also have a jump scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. This will be my first jump since the airborne injury I sustained last year, so it will be nice to finally get back on the horse.

I will be sure to post further SITREP's as I progress through the Echo course. Happy Autumn to everyone!

- Kamber
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Return to “Letters from School”