Introduction: Navid

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

carbonlife4010
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction: Navid

Post by carbonlife4010 »

Hi Rangers,

My name is Navid, originally from Virginia, but now living in Texas. I'm 23 years old, turning 24 in Jan, and just graduated college last May with a degree in Biology. I want to be a Ranger as an Intelligence Analyst, 35F. I want to join the Army and serve among the best to fight for my country and protect our nation's freedom. I've learned my basic human rights after being denied them for so long. As a refugee of religious persecution from Iran, I know what it means to live in a world without basic freedoms and rights and I understand the value of such freedoms and rights that I am grateful to have in this country. I want to give back to the country that allowed me to practice my beliefs without the fear of death and exile, the country who allowed me to get myself educated, and accepted me to become a naturalized citizen. I want to help make a difference in the world so that one day, other young kids don't have to experience the terrors that exist around the world. This is my motivation to become an Army Ranger.

More about myself...I am a seeker of adventure and challenge. I don't turn away when faced with a difficult task, in fact, I look forward to it. I like doing things not because it's easy, but because it's the hard thing. I rode my bicycle alone across the U.S. last summer to raise awareness and money for pediatric cancer. Everyone told me not to and that it would be "supper difficult" and "setting myself up for failure"....but really it gave me more reason to do it. Finished the journey within 6 weeks and it was the most humbling experience of my life that ultimately led me down this path. I got to see the country in a whole new light and realized how important it is to protect it. Glad to be part of the community here and looking forward to meeting you all.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction: Navid

Post by Jim »

Navid, A man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far, you are doing OK. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at ArmyRanger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Tell us more about yourself. Where did you grow up? Please self-administer a PT test and publish the results on this thread within 72 hours. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Navid.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
carbonlife4010
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by carbonlife4010 »

Thank you Rangers for the welcome!
I performed a self-APFT test and these are my results:

APFT score: 296/300
push-ups : 75
Sit Ups : 82
2 Mile Run time : 13:21:07 minutes

I know I can shave off the extra 21 seconds from my 2-mile run, just have to keep pushing toward the end and have a faster start. I can push harder and get the perfect score of 300.

I'm a small guy though...I'm 5'5" tall, and weigh about 130 lbs. on a good day. I'm by no means a big muscular man like how the movies depict SOC soldiers, but I'm a fit cyclist with low body fat. I have good endurance and agility, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about my size being a disadvantage going through RASP 1. Any thoughts?
94F OPT. 40
Ship Date: 20141230

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

carbonlife4010 wrote:Thank you Rangers for the welcome!
I performed a self-APFT test and these are my results:

APFT score: 296/300
push-ups : 75
Sit Ups : 82
2 Mile Run time : 13:21:07 minutes

I know I can shave off the extra 21 seconds from my 2-mile run, just have to keep pushing toward the end and have a faster start. I can push harder and get the perfect score of 300.

I'm a small guy though...I'm 5'5" tall, and weigh about 130 lbs. on a good day. I'm by no means a big muscular man like how the movies depict SOC soldiers, but I'm a fit cyclist with low body fat. I have good endurance and agility, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about my size being a disadvantage going through RASP 1. Any thoughts?
I wouldn't worry about that too much. I served with a Ranger/Sniper/NCO who was about your size and he was one of the toughest, meanest SOB's you'd want to serve with.

Start working on pull-ups with your PT and do a timed 5mile run as well. Should be under 35minutes for a Go.

Welcome.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
carbonlife4010
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by carbonlife4010 »

I have a few questions if someone is willing to answer, I'd appreciate it.

1. Does my background prevent me from obtaining a security clearance? I have no criminal record and have good credit as well with no student loans.

2. What kind of work can I expect to have with a 35F MOS in the 75th Ranger Regiment?
Will I be kicking down doors with fellow Rangers on certain missions or will I just be behind a desk for my whole career?
I really want a hands-on Intel job for a SOC unit, coordinating mission intel, etc

3. Will serving in the 75th Ranger Regiment slow down my promotion rate compared to a conventional Army unit?

Thanks
94F OPT. 40
Ship Date: 20141230

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

1) I don't know how much or little your family background will play into your security clearance, but you will probably be OK. I think that if you can read & write Arabic and/or Farsi that would be a welcome asset.

2) People have a misconceived notion that just because you are in the Ranger Regiment you will automatically be a "shooter", kicking ass and taking names, regardless of your job. That isn't quite the case. Yes, Rangers get to do some pretty cool shit, but your day to day job will be the same no matter what unit you are in. The difference is where you will be doing it and with whom.

3) Promotion will be based upon certain milestones. If you meet those, you will get promoted (more or less). Yes, there are cases where bias and favoritism come into play, but by and large, if you do what you are supposed to (don't fuck up, pass your PT test, etc...) you get promoted. You can help by meeting some of those milestones before you enlist (max PT score, have 2 years of college..) Being in the Regiment helps somewhat, but it is really up to you to do what needs to get done for promotion, no matter where you are.

Welcome, and good luck with it.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Ginger
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ginger »

Welcome Navid!

PM Inbound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20150713

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”