Introduction: Joe

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

G.I.434
Paratrooper

Introduction: Joe

Post by G.I.434 »

Hello Rangers,

Thank you all for your service to our country, and for this forum.

My name is Joe, I am a 24 years old, not married, no kids, living in Mechanicsville, MD (St.Mary's County). I have been talking with a recruiter for some time now, looking to get to MEPS in the next couple of weeks. I am attending college here through funding I receive for volunteering as a firemen. My major is in fire science, with about 30 credits accumulated. I have completed several courses as a firemen, including EMT-B. I work at a sales place delivering sheds and furniture 24-32 hours a week to allow time for schooling and training. My time spent as a firefighter developed an appreciation, an enjoyment even, for the repetition of training and becoming a master of skills.

I thought of joining the Army for a few years and decided it was the path to take. After some research I was drawn to the Special Forces and Army Rangers. I read a few books between the two and decided that the Ranger Regiment is the best path for me to become the best soldier I could be. I want to surround myself with and learn from the best soldiers. I am drawn to the challenge. I want to push myself past all limits. I want to live and breathe the Ranger Creed.

I am torn between MOS selection. My heart pushes me towards 11x but my brain would rather me pursue 68w or a support-type role. 11X, considered “the tip of the spear”, in my mind this would satisfy the “push myself past limits” idea, it's where the defense of my family, friends, and country literally happens. After conversations with veterans, and pleas of my family of course, my mind thinks it better to choose a role that would provide me with the most potential if/when I would return to the civilian world (ex. communications being a high-paying field). I'm not trying to undermine anyone's position, this is just where my thoughts are.

When I began my training I started off fat, weak, and slow at 220 pounds and 6'2”. My PFT:
Push ups: 25
Sit ups: 30
Pull ups: 0
2 mile run: 22:00
I am nowhere near impressive but have seen great improvements, now at 188 pounds. My PFT:
Push ups: 58
Sit ups:79
Pull ups: 4
2 mile run: 17:55

My run time could be better but I spent a lot of time nursing shin splints and then runners knee. I bought better shoes and am much more attentive to my form and where I run. I have been rucking as well, maintaining 15 min miles out as far as 7 miles so far. I started Ranger Silverback's recommended pt regimen last week. Tuesday and Thursdays I incorporate low impact cardio and stretching. Saturday's I have been rucking (with boots and large Alice pack at 50 pounds). I have started memorizing the items found in Mentor Tools, and The Ranger Creed. Doing my best to live by them.
68W OPT 40 
SHIP DATE: 20150414

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction: Joe

Post by Jim »

Welcome Joe, A man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far, you are doing well. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Your PT scores leave a lot of room for improvement. Please tell us more about yourself. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Given your background, 68W appears to be a wise choice; there are a number of 68Ws on the site. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Joe . . .Continue to work on your PT (running & pull ups), this will serve you later.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Ginger
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ginger »

Welcome Joe!

PM Inbound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20150713

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Welcome to the site, Joe. Based on my screen-name, I don't think I have to tell you which MOS I favor. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Whichever you do, it behooves you to be in top shape before you go, or as close to it as you can. (What would I consider top shape? 52 pu, 62 su, 6 pull up, 14:54 run) You will make some improvements in PT, but then again you might not. Having no tie-downs of kids or wife, it would also be in your best interest to have about 60 full-time college credits under your belt. You will start with a higher rank and make rank easier. Rank=pay

There is absolutely nothing that will keep you from making it to the Ranger Regiment, except for yourself. With focused preparation you can set yourself up for future success. There will still be toil and sweat, but that shit goes away. The pride in accomplishment lasts forever. With your background, might I be so bold as to suggest the 68W MOS? It is the longest and academically the hardest track, but you will be a rock-star once you finish and be in one of the most exclusive cohorts in the military; that of the Ranger Medic. You will train, live and deploy right along side your brother Rangers. Think about it. In the 30 years that the modern Ranger Regiment has been around, there were a lot less of us than there were grunts. Also, you want to talk tip of the spear? One of my good friends, who unfortunately perished in the famed "Lone Survivor" rescue mission, was one of the medics that jumped into Afghanistan on the initial assault of Bagram Air Base. (his first of two combat jumps) For it he received (among other things..) the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with arrowhead device. There were only a handful of times since Vietnam it has been authorized for wear. Tip of the spear, indeed!

No matter what you do, take your time and prep soundly. If you choose medic, take Anatomy & Physiology I & II. There is no rush, except by your recruiter. He has to make his mission for the quarter. The Ranger Regiment, however, isn't going anywhere.

Doc out.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Oh, one more thing. A lot of the men who leave as medics go on to become paramedics, nurses, PAs or MDs. Howzzat for a well paying civilian job?
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Doc_Dino
Tadpole

Post by Doc_Dino »

I agree with sleepy doc, medic is the way to go. I dont think there is a more satisfying job in the Army. Its not for eveyone though its a verry selfless and sometimes thankless job. There is so much more to it than the cool trauma type stuff people normaly associate with the MOS. For that reason there are a lot of really shitty medics out there that just dont get it.
4th Infantry 2011-present
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Roger Ranger Jim and Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV, pt is one of my top priorities right now, I can't stand my run time. Thank you both for the welcome.

Ranger Sleepy Doc, appreciate the insight. Some eye openers for me in there. I needed a reminder that there is no rush. Recruiter is trying very hard to push the last few weeks. He really does make it hard to say no. Thanks for the course recommendations. My recruiter hung up on me when I told him I couldn't make a MEPs date he signed me up for with out asking if it fit my schedule, I can't wait to see his face when I tell him I plan to take another semester of courses! If I decide medic, I will take them.

Appreciate your point of view Doc_Dino. I have only recently realized the large role medics play in day to day life, outside of combat/trauma injuries.

After the few suggestions made here about 68W I've done some thinking about it and I am strongly considering the option. My experience in the medical field has been very rewarding and I can see how 68W can be considered the most rewarding MOS. Long pipeline and a huge responsibility as well. Some research left to do yet.

Other than school, work, and the gym, I don't have too much to say about myself right now. My bit of free time I have is usually spent helping my Grandmother. A bit over a year ago my Grandfather was diagnosed with colon cancer which got the best of him a few months ago. I moved in to be a hand when he was sick, and now I am catching up on a lot of things that went to the way-side for a while. Yard work and things but also bigger stuff like some light grading, painting, some carpentry stuff. The biggest battle is trying to get the grass to look nice and thick (I am losing that battle). In the middle of hanging cabinets in the garage. Just try to keep my Grandma on the up-n-up. I do have to give her credit though, she is a tough caring women who helps me out just as much. I have spent a few years doing construction, pretty good at drywall and painting. Not half bad with carpentry. I like cars, guns, play around with music sometimes, especially after a few beers. Not too good at either but wish I had more time to fish and hunt. I enjoy being active, doing stuff rather than video games and TV really. I do enjoy reading, mostly military based non-fiction.

This past Saturday I rucked 8 miles, crosscountry on moderate trails in 2:13, including a ten minute break at the one hour mark.
68W OPT 40 

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Glad to see your renewed interest in 68W Option 40.
G.I.434 wrote: This past Saturday I rucked 8 miles, crosscountry on moderate trails in 2:13, including a ten minute break at the one hour mark.
The standard is 12 miles in 3 hours. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Roger Ranger Jim! Next Saturday will be my first 12 mile ruck! I am gunning to beat that standard and excited to see how I will perform at that length.
68W OPT 40 

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

G.I.434 wrote:Roger Ranger Jim! Next Saturday will be my first 12 mile ruck! I am gunning to beat that standard and excited to see how I will perform at that length.
Please understand that is not a RASP standard, it is the Expert Infantry Badge (EIB) standard.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Ranger Jim, the RASP standard is 12 miles in 3 hours but with 35 pounds?
68W OPT 40 

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

The RASP standard changes with almost every class. EIB is a traditional standard. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
G.I.434
Paratrooper

Post by G.I.434 »

Roger, Ranger Jim!
68W OPT 40