Intro- Dez

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

deerawl31
Future Soldier / Opt40

Intro- Dez

Post by deerawl31 »

Hello,

My name is Dez and I have been on this site sifting through and absorbing all the information for the past few months. I am 26 years old and graduated May of 2013 with a degree in Sport Management from a small school in Muskogee, Oklahoma where I was a 2-year starter at outside linebacker. I have been coaching varsity football at a local high school here in Southern California.

I have always had the desire to serve, even as a boy in elementary school my "dream" was to be a Marine. With time that changed and while there are many elite groups in all branches (MARSOC, SEALS, SF, PJ, CCT etc.) I have been drawn the 75th Ranger Regiment far more than any other. However, opportunities in football, school, and the fact that my parents are EXTREMELY against the concept of war and the military has always influenced me to brush those desires to join aside. Now, the fire still burns and with college and my football career behind me, I am in the midst of pursuing it.

Over the course of the past few months I have been researching and speaking with anyone and everyone enlisted/officer. One of which is currently in the 75th, and one is a Lieutenant Colonel, both have recommended I pursue the path of becoming a Ranger as they strongly believe I would do well with my physical ability, mentality, and maturity. I know it is a long road filled with some expected hurdles that can be prepared for and some unexpected hurdles that cannot, but I want to be part of the best and anything in life worth while is far from easy.

My current APFT numbers are as follows,

PU- 74
SU- 88
2 mile- 14:01
Pull ups- 14

These numbers are far from acceptable for both myself as well as the Regiment so I will continue to bust my butt and update the numbers accordingly as well as memorizing the Ranger Creed with correct pauses.

If there is any additional information that anyone would like to know I will be more than happy to add it. Thank you for all you past and current Rangers for providing the useful information and allowing us hopeful prospective Rangers such as myself onto this site.

Dez
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20150105

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro- Dez

Post by Jim »

Dez, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far you are doing well. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Your PT score is a baseline to build on. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Have you chosen an MOS? Are you married? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
deerawl31
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by deerawl31 »

Ranger Jim,

I am thinking 11b, but as I have considered Air Force TACP at one point in time I have also looked at 13F. My recruiter wants me to go WOFT, but while that sounds interesting my desire and passion still lies with option 40 and one day pursuing OCS.

I am currently single with no children.

Dez
11X OPT 40

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Dez.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
deerawl31
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by deerawl31 »

Thank you Rangers for the warm welcome!
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dez, you may find this link helpful:

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
deerawl31
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by deerawl31 »

Jim wrote:Dez, you may find this link helpful:

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm

Thank you Ranger Jim.
11X OPT 40

Ginger
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ginger »

Welcome Dez!

PM Inbound.
11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20150713

Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com, Dez. I appreciate your desire to become an Army Ranger. If you will look, listen and pay attention to details, you can learn a great deal here that will help you in your journey. Please read and heed the ROE PM I just sent you.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
deerawl31
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by deerawl31 »

Ranger Ron wrote:Welcome to ArmyRanger.com, Dez. I appreciate your desire to become an Army Ranger. If you will look, listen and pay attention to details, you can learn a great deal here that will help you in your journey. Please read and heed the ROE PM I just sent you.

Roger that Ranger Ron, PM received.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dez, Have you contacted a recruiter? Do you have any questions that are bothering you? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
deerawl31
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by deerawl31 »

Jim wrote:Dez, Have you contacted a recruiter? Do you have any questions that are bothering you? Never, never quit!

Ranger Jim, I have been in touch with a mutual friend who is a recruiter-to-be (Aug. 17) here in Southern California. In the mean time I have been doing PT and memorizing The Ranger Creed with correct pauses. Furthermore, I realize it isn't about "memorizing" The Creed as much as it is living by it and it actually helped aid me at the end of my 5 mile run as I said it aloud to finish strong. Hopefully one day my country will expect me to move further, faster, and fight harder-- so I might as well start now!

Nothing major, but I have got my run times down some.

2 mile- 13:43
5 mile- 38:12

It has only been a month since I began running with an emphasis in distance so I hope as I continue to train I can decrease these times a good amount. Sub 12 min 2 mile and sub 35 min 5 mile are my goals. I wouldn't use the word "concerned", but one area I have zero experience with is rucking so I will start implementing a slow build-up in this department in both weight and distance.

As always, I appreciate both the genuine interest as well as the guidance of you Ranger Jim, and all the other Rangers on this site. Any comments or questions for me are always welcome.

Dez
11X OPT 40

deerawl31
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by deerawl31 »

Quick SITREP Rangers,

Over the past few weeks I have been in contact with a recruiter and completed the majority of the necessary paperwork and have a tenative scheduled trip to MEPS, sign an 11x option 40 contract and take my oath on September 29th. I will keep you all updated.

Dez
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

deerawl31 wrote:Quick SITREP Rangers,

Over the past few weeks I have been in contact with a recruiter and completed the majority of the necessary paperwork and have a tenative scheduled trip to MEPS, sign an 11x option 40 contract and take my oath on September 29th. I will keep you all updated.

Dez
Good SITREP! Please keep us updated and continue to read letters from school to help prepare yourself for OSUT. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”